PDA

View Full Version : foreign horror movies

Soraya Taveres
Apr 20th, 2005, 08:11:18 AM
can anybody here recommend some good foreign scary movies, as well as a place where i can order them online at an affordable price (i always get ripped off -sniff-) ? i'm also looking for the original japanese version of "the ring" and "the ring o: birthday" in particular, but any suggestions are welcome. ta. ":]

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 20th, 2005, 12:29:22 PM
I'm pretty sure you can find Ringu at Suncoast,. As for the other foreign horror flicks, have you tried half.com?

Shawn
Apr 21st, 2005, 01:31:46 AM
Ju-On: The Grudge (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364385/)
Uzumaki (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0244870/)
Suspiria (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076786/)
Demons (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089013/)

Soraya Taveres
Apr 21st, 2005, 08:51:23 AM
<3 s'il. =D

shawn: how would you rank those four in order of preference ? and where would ringu fit in ?

Shawn
Apr 21st, 2005, 09:03:21 AM
If you don't mind its age, Suspiria is a fantastic movie. After that, I'd go with Uzumaki, a creepy Japanese film with some interesting themes. Demons is pretty good, but it's something of a monster movie, so don't expect cinematic brilliance. And Ju-On: The Grudge (there are several versions of this movie, so make sure you get the right one) is a mediocre horror film very much in line with Ringu. If you enjoyed Ringu, you'll probably like the Ju-On movies.

For clarification:

Ju-On: The Curse 1/2 = Direct-to-video releases
Ju-On: The Grudge 1/2 = Theatrical remakes of the DTV releases
The Grudge = American remake with elements from both 1 & 2.

Soraya Taveres
Apr 21st, 2005, 09:13:33 AM
i'm planning on getting two for now, and from what i've read so far, i'm definitely going with 'suspiria'. i've already seen 'ringu' which is why i'm considering buying that, but if you say you prefer 'uzumaki', then ... should i just go with that ? you're smart and stuff, you choose for me. -_-

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 21st, 2005, 01:07:40 PM
On a whim I checked half.com for Uzumaki, Ringu, and Suspiria.

They've got all of them available on DVD :)

Soraya Taveres
Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:00:41 AM
wouldn't it be safer to just buy them from suncoast.com ? i don't ... trust ... people ... -shifty eyes-

=|

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:03:48 AM
I wouldn't blame you :)

The only thing I bought from half.com was Space Truckers (such an awesome movie full of pure unbridled space trucker awesomeness). I actually got it, surprise surprise. But I'd be wary of that stuff regardless, so stick with Suncoast ;)

Soraya Taveres
Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:12:40 AM
plus, the stuff will have to be shipped to qatar, which is ... kind of sort of far from north america, so if i don't receive the goods, it could very easily just be blamed on the postal services. (oh such faith we have in humanity.)

oh, and uhh -- what's a space trucker ? o_0

Mitch
Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:34:39 AM
Space Truckers is a horror without equal. It is a foul beast from the bowls of cheese hell, bent on nothing less than the total numbing of human souls through an hour and a half of sheer, jaw-dropping terror.

Imagine, if you will, a budget of two hundred dollars, and a time warp back to 1988 for your entire wardrobe and special effects. Now, add in a plot written by Robocop, Predator and Star Wars fanboys. No, not the succdessful kind, the kind who still live in their parents's basements and each day bless the creation of cheese in a can. Because that is quite possible the only way to get more cheese per cubic inch in anything other than Space Truckers.

Square pigs, Pippi Longstocking zero-G overalls and John Ratzenberger are the highlights to this movie. If that hasn't given you any indication of how ghastly awful it is yet, it gets better.

A corperation, and it has to be a coperation because all coperations in the future are evil and plot to take over the wotld while wearing slightly shiny gray business suits, has developed a super-secret, super-deadly, super-made-of-cheap-foam-rubber-that-makes-Godzilla-look-real robot warrior capable of, well, killing all the employees of the corperation in the test room. Sucks to be a henchman, huh? Well, they decide to ship these wonders of bad Japanese Cosplay through, you guessed it, a trucking service! Oh, how the plot thicks!

Now, where would we be without a hero? Not in this movie, let me tell you. I want to kill everyone responsible for this utter waste of celluloid and what could have been a great date night.... No, instead we wind up with Dennis Hopper, Debbie Mazar and Stephen Dorff as the lead roles. If the prospect of seeing them on the screen for an hour and a half doesn't turn your blood to ice, I think onyl an Olsen Twins movie will.

So, long story short, a robot thingy gets loose--suprise suprise!--and it's up to a valiant, if not past his prime, trucker to save the universe. Wait! No it isn't! He could just blow up his stupid space truck and destroy all the Guyver knock-offs and kill himself, and we could all rejoice! He doesn't, though, so I had to suffer through anouther gruelling forty-five cringe-worthy minutes while s'Il was so engrossed in the cornball festivities that she didn't even notice that I was about to claw my eyes out. Oh, the things you'll suffer through for girlfriends...

This movie has no redeeming qualities. It should be filed under O for Oh my goodness, what the heck was that abomination of film I just witnessed, and the terror of its bucket-rate visuals will scar the insides of your eyelids until you die, and will probably haunt you still in the afterlife. Please, for the love of all that is good and sweet in Odin's beard, do not see Space Truckers.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:43:13 AM
Originally posted by Mitch
Please, for the love of all that is good and sweet in Odin's beard, do not see Space Truckers.

You should see it - it's great :D

Soraya Taveres
Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:55:11 AM
... now THAT sounds like an awesome, AWESOME horror movie ! =D

Dae Jinn
Apr 23rd, 2005, 10:12:00 PM
wasn't Uzumaki made into/based on a comic? o_O

I agree with Shawn - The Grudge wasn't great. I hated The Ring, since everyone said it was so amazing and it was not scary at all. :| Ringu was better, only because it wasn't so focused on the woman in it.

I really want to see Dark Water when it comes out in theatres - even though it looks very Ring-esque.

Shawn
Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:14:59 PM
Yes, Uzumaki is based off the manga of the same name.

I actually thought the American remake of The Grudge was better than the original in some ways. The plot was much worse, but it actually had 1 or 2 decent scares. Too bad that's all the movie was: a bunch of "spook" scenes strung together by an incomprehensible plot.

Kyashi
Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:21:07 PM
The problem was the Japanese one didn't have a real "story", it was kind of a bunch of stuff mushed together, all having to do with the house. At least the American version had some kind of story line going from A to B to C.

I was really just hoping they'd kill SMG, to be honest. The last horror movie I saw was the new Amityville Horror movie, which was surprizingly decent in spite of being an Amityville Horror movie :)

imported_Bandage
May 5th, 2005, 01:25:40 AM
To be honest, I loved The Amityville Horror. I could easily see why someone would flip out like that because of the environment they are in......Nevermind the ghosts and stuff, I liked the historical evidence, and the psychological aspect of the movie much more.

As for the Ring, I don't intend to see it.....it did not look at all appealing to me....While Renee Zell-whats her face looks really good, she would not and should not be in a horror movie.

Probably the movie that was one of the best horror movies, that actually scared me, was Event Horizon. Sure, it was a space-based horror flick, but it was really good, and the visuals were just amazing in their own grotesquity. They actually made my skin crawl. And I'm the guy that watches horror movies, and more often than not, ends up laughing or rooting for the killer the entire movie.....

Treatment for Scary-Movie-itis: See new TAH, screw TR, definitely see EH.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 5th, 2005, 06:26:35 AM
Event Horizon is one of my favorites, and I try to generally avoid horror movies unless I'm really in the mood for them. Whoever designed the Event Horizon did an awesome job making it look ominous, forboding, and just creepy looking as all get out. At least that's my opinion. The Lewis and Clark was a good ship design too.

Shawn
May 5th, 2005, 08:22:19 AM
Event Horizon, The Thing, and In The Mouth of Madness are my 3 favorite horror movies.

Dae Jinn
May 5th, 2005, 08:18:10 PM
I like cheesey 1980's "Let's go into the scary woods with a flash-light after having premartial sex and using drugs!" horror personally. ^_^;

I also like the "Dead" series by Romero. I really hope Land of the Dead turns out to be good.

Shawn
May 6th, 2005, 08:33:32 AM
Originally posted by Dae Jinn
I really hope Land of the Dead turns out to be good. I've read the script; I'm not holding my breath.

Trric Skyvold
May 6th, 2005, 10:32:16 AM
:lol

They'll probably make the zombies run :mad

Shawn
May 6th, 2005, 12:48:56 PM
I find it funny that Romero will condemn running zombies, but thinks smart zombies are where it's at.

Soraya Taveres
May 7th, 2005, 10:05:22 AM
Originally posted by Shawn
Event Horizon, The Thing, and In The Mouth of Madness are my 3 favorite horror movies.

event horizon's the one with the evil ship of doom that likes to scare/kill people, ne ? what's 'the thing' and 'in the mouth of madness' all about ?

also, any particular suggestions for someone who considers 'the exorcist' to be their (anti-)bible, and who also loves 'rosemary's baby' ?

Morgan Evanar
May 7th, 2005, 12:28:48 PM
I find it funny that Romero will condemn running zombies, but thinks smart zombies are where it's at. Zombies are supposed to be DUMB.

Anbira Hicchoru
May 7th, 2005, 10:24:29 PM
Originally posted by Soraya Taveres
event horizon's the one with the evil ship of doom that likes to scare/kill people, ne ? what's 'the thing' and 'in the mouth of madness' all about ?

also, any particular suggestions for someone who considers 'the exorcist' to be their (anti-)bible, and who also loves 'rosemary's baby' ?

The Thing is about an alien that's discovered at an Antarctic research base, that can essentially look like anything or anyone. It's a fantastic horror movie and I highly recommend it as well.

Rhea Kaylen
May 8th, 2005, 07:16:30 AM
I just saw a couple of really good Chinese horror flicks my parents had discovered on tv, then ordered through eBay--The Eye and The Eye 2. The first one, in particular, is very good, quite scary, with a good story. The second one's story is a little less compelling, but it holds together well, and it has some truly scary freak-out scenes.

All hail Asian cinema. :D

Dae Jinn
May 8th, 2005, 04:20:11 PM
I find it funny that Romero will condemn running zombies, but thinks smart zombies are where it's at.

Yeah, but in the original three, the zombies get faster as they go. Not super fast like in the Dawn remake, but still just a bit faster.

As for them being smart, I don't think that would work either - I think they tried that already in Day of the Dead :-/ And that movie was horrible.

Shawn
May 9th, 2005, 05:21:05 AM
Originally posted by Dae Jinn
As for them being smart, I don't think that would work either - I think they tried that already in Day of the Dead :-/ And that movie was horrible. I don't think Day of the Dead was horrible, but it did leave me feeling very underwhelmed when I originally saw it.

If you didn't like the intelligent zombie stuff in Day of the Dead, then you probably shouldn't even bother seeing Land of the Dead. For some reason, Romero has a huge fascination with the concept, and it'll pretty much be the main focus of his new movie.

Dae Jinn
May 9th, 2005, 08:56:45 PM
Day of the Dead just didn't fit the feeling of the other two films - esp. since it didn't have the major black hero, like Peter in Dawn for example. If you've seen the extras on the newest dvd release, if they had done everything they wanted to do, it would've made for a more interesting movie.

I dont mind intelligent sombie stuff, really, but I don't want to see zombies becoming so intelligent that they're really not like zombies at all (If that makes sense).

imported_Bandage
May 12th, 2005, 02:26:10 AM
Yes. Zombie=Mindless or semi-mindless undead. I believe if they are intelligent, they are upgraded to Ghouls. And from there, Vampires.....

All hail dead stuff!

imported_Baralai Lotus
May 15th, 2005, 11:10:00 AM
Alright, I write horror and I know it pretty well. To be completly honest, the only thing that's really scaring people these days is gore. It's a new technique really, because if you watch older horror movies, the gore is understood. You imagine what terrible things are happening to the victim. But, with the new gore stuff, it just freaks you out and makes you cringe. If you want to jump out of your seat, then watch most any new horror movie. But, if you want to truly be scared, watch some great horror classics.

Freaks
Audition
Hellraiser
THE OLD Texas Chainsaw
Misery
Thinner

Stuff like that is really scary. I was terribly afraid of those movies, because they made me leave my couch and turn all the lights on in my house and check all the dark spots. BTW, if you wanna see a good action movie, pick up the real version of "Casshern". . .OMG, IMO one of the best movies ever!

Shawn
May 15th, 2005, 08:03:04 PM
Casshern was a good movie... if you don't bother trying to make sense of the story, and if you keep in mind that it's a live-action anime.

imported_Baralai Lotus
May 15th, 2005, 08:09:05 PM
What really impressed me with Casshern was the use of animation. . .and the story was weird, but it makes sense if you watch it two or three times. Also, with that movie, I don't think it followed the anime really well. I actually beleive that movie is a prequel. Because the lightning bolt at the end sends Casshern, his mother, his father, and everyone else to a new planet. I beleive Black King is resurrected there and the anime actually starts with Casshern not knowing his past.

Soraya Taveres
May 16th, 2005, 03:18:26 AM
... since i haven't seen most of the movies that have been mentioned here, my question still stands:

any particular suggestions for someone who considers 'the exorcist' to be their (anti-)bible?

^_^;

i'm looking for movies to give as a gift to a certain somebody, which makes it that much harder. all i know is that he worships, and i mean WORSHIPS, 'the exorcist' (the original obviously, and he doesn't think the newest version is all that bad - he finds everything in between crap though). oh and he's not a gore freak; to him, horror movies have to deal with the supernatural, which is why he doesn't think much of jason, for example. any suggestions that deal with satanism and the occult are welcome in particular. yeah.

Shawn
May 16th, 2005, 07:30:07 AM
In the Mouth of Madness is pretty occultish, albeit with a Cthulhu-esque slant to it. Event Horizon may be up his/her alley, as well.

imported_Baralai Lotus
May 16th, 2005, 12:30:07 PM
I <3 IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS!!!! SUCH A GOOD MOVIE!!!!!