View Full Version : Understanding Apprehension

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 9th, 2005, 01:22:49 PM
In their last training session, Navaria had learn that her Padawan was uneasy around an aspect of his abilities. He could sense the emotions of others around him. It was a delicate gift, like most abilities bestowed upon a Jedi, but there had to be place an emphasis while training in this power. The Padawan needed to learn to respect those around him in regard to their emotions, much like with telepathy.

Navaria had chose the bar for this lesson. They would only be dealing with the bare surface emotions of the patrons this day. There would be no overstepping of anyone's privacy.

The bar itself was barely occupied and it was easy to find a table. She found one as close to the center of the room as was possible and waited for her student, ordering a namana juice to quench her thirst in the mean time.

Andúril
Apr 11th, 2005, 05:50:11 AM
Andúril walked into the bar, feeling a little uneasy. He knew what the training session was going to be about, and did not want to be blasted with a hundred different thoughs, like he was last time. To his relief, he saw that the tables were mostly empty around him, and he let out a sigh of relief.

Looking around him for a moment he otined a table in the centre of the room, where his master was sitting, with her back to him. He wasn't used to sitting in the centre of the bar, but he thought, theres a first for everything.

He made his way up to her and, sensing she was aware of his presence, spoke without her seeing him.

"Hello again, Master."

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 12th, 2005, 07:46:08 AM
"And hello to you, Andúril,' her reply was smooth and pleasant, not hinting that her Padawan's feelings had betrayed him again.

The Knight turned around in her chair to look at him directly, "Come and sit. Care for something to eat or drink?"

Andúril
Apr 12th, 2005, 02:35:29 PM
Andúril felt a slight flicker there, but he couldn't pinpint it. He frowned slightly. After a second, he decided it was nothing and moved to the seat on the opposite side of the table.

He smiled to himself at a memory from his homeland, which was unusual after... no, he dwelt on the memory.

"Yes, but I doubt they have it here, so no thank you."

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 12th, 2005, 06:54:47 PM
She pursed her lip and then smiled, "I think you should try. There are many aliens that come here to Coruscant and the chef here is notorious for being able to create miracles when it comes to food and drink from hundreds of homelands. Though, the times he can't, he's good at making something really close to the original."

Something was noticed by Andúril. The Knight couldn't tell what but it was clear he sensed something.

Andúril
Apr 14th, 2005, 03:49:18 PM
Andúril didn't breathe for a moment. A strange look came into his eyes.

"Thankyou, no. Only one man made it, and I doubt hes alive. It wouldn't quite be the same. Thankyou anyway, though." His eyes looked into the distance again, then he turned them to his Master.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 14th, 2005, 03:57:10 PM
She sipped her juice, noting the look on Andúril's face. "Something's been troubling you since you came here. Something more then just the lesson I believe."

Andúril
Apr 15th, 2005, 01:00:54 AM
Andúril sighed. "It's nothing Master. I miss my homeland, thats all. You reminded me of it, just now."

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 16th, 2005, 10:44:35 AM
"No. It was when I greeted you. You sensed something that troubled you." She raised a brow, "What was it?"

Andúril
Apr 16th, 2005, 11:30:26 AM
"Ah right," he replied. "Well, I havn't been overly anxious to have this lesson to be honest. I havn't had the best experience with this in the past."

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 16th, 2005, 11:32:26 AM
"Then that is where we begin." She settled back in her chair and spoke in a gentle tone, "Tell me what has happened in the past so we will attempt to avoid them now."

Andúril
Apr 16th, 2005, 01:02:54 PM
Andúril thought for a moment. "I guess it just all comes at once. Sometimes i can sense people. It was a shock to first come here, where i could sense presence but not thoughts. It's a little difficult to explain."

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 16th, 2005, 05:25:52 PM
Her eyes narrowed, "You feel that the sensation is ... disturbing because you cannot sense another's thoughts?"

Then they widened, "The Force is all around you. Unless you are actively trying to sense another's thoughts, it won't happen. Emotions on the other hand, if they are strong enough, you can pick up on those sensations."

Andúril
Apr 17th, 2005, 11:48:21 AM
"Not exactly. It was more that it was something I had never experienced before. It was like they were... empty."

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 18th, 2005, 08:12:48 AM
"You know that to not be true." She wasn't sure how Andúril was interpreting his abilities. Maybe he just thought it was unnatural to sense another's thoughts. "All living beings have thoughts, from the instinctive behaviors of animals to the complex thought patterns of all humans and aliens within the galaxy. The Force allows us the ability to sense those thoughts, but we cannot do it without putting forth the effort.

On the other hand, when you sense another's presence, you sense the Force flowing through them. You sense life. It's how the Force works."

Andúril
Apr 18th, 2005, 09:21:23 AM
"I see. Yes, I know they wern't empty. I have learned that people attuned with the Force guard their thoughts and emotions. What In would like is some sort of clarity with what I experience. I dislike having this sort of ability but not being able to utilise it for any useful purpose."

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 20th, 2005, 05:06:30 PM
Navaria looked puzzled, "I need some clarification myself before we can move on. Are you only having this difficulty with Force users?"

Andúril
Apr 22nd, 2005, 11:38:32 AM
"Mostly. I guess. I assume its to do with the force. I don't remember it happenning before that."

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 27th, 2005, 03:38:18 PM
"Well, it would only be the Force working in order for you to sense another being, or to feel their emotions or hear their thoughts. It should not matter whether the person is Force sensitive or not. You should sense something from them, unless you are being blocked purposefully."

Andúril
Apr 28th, 2005, 01:02:07 AM
"I see. Could it be that I can't sense force users because I am but a learner in the force, and I am using it incorrectly?"

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 28th, 2005, 02:36:51 PM
Her Padawan had thought up an interesting possibility. "Do you have difficulty in sensing the Force in general? You seem to be doing fine so far with the training we've done together."

Andúril
Apr 29th, 2005, 10:22:42 AM
He thought for a moment. "Perhaps I have difficulty sensing the force, but little trouble utilising it?"

Navaria Tarkin
May 4th, 2005, 04:12:54 PM
"Hmm," she contemplated that. "Maybe, but it would be odd. In order to use the Force effectively, a Jedi needs to be able to sense it."

Navaria narrowed her eyes at Andúril, "What do you sense now?"

Quickly she held up a hand, "Do not answer so fast. Take your time and get used to your surroundings before attempting to reach out and sense the Force."

Andúril
May 5th, 2005, 12:53:30 AM
Andúril closed his eyes and tried to concentrate. "There are... 5, no 6 people in the bar, including you and I. The barman seems bored, that must be because nobody is here. The other two are behind me, they don't want to disturb us so they are talking in hushed voices. The last person is in the corner, he is wondering about what drink he is going to buy, and he is relaxed."

He opened his eyes again and looked at his Master.

Navaria Tarkin
May 7th, 2005, 09:02:06 AM
Navaria knew that Andúril's assessment of the patrons was correct. He actually answered her rather quickly, which was impressive giving that he was wary of what he was trying to do. "Was there any difficulty in trying to sense everyone in the bar?"

Andúril
May 10th, 2005, 12:47:21 PM
Andúril smiled to himself. "Not exactly, no, just a problem of common sense. I sensed each person, then forgot to consider myself as one of the people. Other than that, I think... it just came naturally. I think the main problem for me is shutting the details out, rather than seeing the broad outline."

Navaria Tarkin
May 10th, 2005, 02:54:40 PM
"Then we'll start there. Why don't you focus once more and sense everyone in the room."

At that time a pair of Rodians came in from outside and where talking to the bartender.

"Then we'll narrow that focus slowly so that you become comfortable with it."

Andúril
May 10th, 2005, 03:19:04 PM
"Okay." He cleared his mind as he did before, then began to sense certain aspects of the room around him. One thing that he noticed which was different was two people, whose species was not familiar to him came into the bar.

"I'm ready Master."

Navaria Tarkin
May 11th, 2005, 04:02:48 PM
"Good. Now, chose one of the beings you are sensing and block their presence. Do this gradually at a pace that is comfortable for you. Do not try and move onto another being until you have a firm command of the situation."

Andúril
May 12th, 2005, 09:51:31 AM
Andúril sensed the being in his mind; letting this presense diffuse into his mind. Then, slowly, he attempted to block out that person, as if they wernt there, like they were just part of his peripheral vision. A few times he found his mind thinking about what he wasnt trying to think about, but slowly, he managed to sustain the feeling. Once he had completed this feeling of nothigness he went onto the next being, and attempted to do it again, this time finding the process a little easier.

Navaria Tarkin
May 15th, 2005, 09:59:02 AM
There were several bumps along the road, but Andúril was able to fight the obstacles his mind was creating. It was a slow process unfortunately, but it was necessary. Navaria merely stood a silent vigil over her Padawan.

A slight problem was occuring however. The lunch crowd was starting to filter inside the Bar and Grill. The numbers weren't high, but the added to the challenge of the lesson.

Andúril
May 15th, 2005, 10:10:37 AM
He had moved on to the forth being by this time, but lo and behold, more people were filetering in ine ones and twos. He battled with jhis mind attempting to get a grasp of the entire situation, and continued on until he had around eight in his mind which he had blocked. Once he had completed this he opened his eyes, and looked at his Master.

Navaria Tarkin
May 15th, 2005, 10:53:25 AM
"Well," she looked upon him with much interest. "How are you feeling?"

Andúril
May 15th, 2005, 11:05:00 AM
Andúril thought for a moment. "All right. Its a little strange to stay in control of the situation. Its like I'm doing something which i always saw as negative. As a child I found it particularly disturbing. I guess it just takes a little getting used to."

Navaria Tarkin
May 15th, 2005, 01:15:38 PM
"True. All it does take is getting used to it and change how your mind sees things." She quirked a brow, "Do you still feel it is a negative?"

Andúril
May 15th, 2005, 02:13:23 PM
"No. Now that I am in control of my feelings, I can see its benefit, especially now I can stop it happenning at random."

Navaria Tarkin
May 15th, 2005, 02:20:24 PM
She smiled in approval, "Good, but there is still more work that needs to be done."

Her hand extended outwards and waved in front of her, "Pick anyone you wish and tell me what they are feeling. Just surface emotions. Do not delve deeply. Relax and focus as before and let the Force guide you to the answer."

Andúril
May 16th, 2005, 01:02:59 AM
Andúril nodded, and closed his eyes, letting his feelings slowly diffuse around him. He thin picked a young girl that had just walked into the bar. Focusing on her, he let the others in her group disappear his sight. He then reached out and saw she was pleased about something, her attention kept flitting around the people in the group she was in. But there was something behind the happiness, something... He shut off his mind, and opened his eyes again.

Navaria Tarkin
May 16th, 2005, 09:08:07 PM
"What?" Navaria's stance stiffened at the sudden change in her Padawan's focus. "Something amiss?"

Andúril
May 17th, 2005, 12:50:57 PM
"I just..." he paused, "saw something. Though on the surface she was fine, there was something behind it. But you told me not to look to deep, so I stopped myself before I did."

Navaria Tarkin
May 21st, 2005, 08:22:36 AM
"Is she in danger?" Navaria quirked her head in an unobtrusive manner to where the girl, and the group she was with, had found a table to sit at.

Andúril
May 21st, 2005, 09:31:06 AM
"I don't... no... I don't think so, she just seems more guarded than I expected. There is a great sadness there, in her past, though I cannot tell what it is."