PDA

View Full Version : RotS deleted scenes

JMK
Apr 5th, 2005, 11:57:49 AM
These are from the Making of Revenge of the Sith book:

6, 7, 8-14, 25, 30, 32, 37-41: FedCruiser scenes cut (Grievous killing Shaak Ti, the Jedi using their lightsabers to escape GG, underwater swim, climb through shaft, many of R2's hangar gags, many Palpatine cliffhangers)

48: Mace greets Palpatine and the Jedi right after the crash-landing

56: Yoda, Obi-Wan and Mace discuss the Dark Side in Yoda's quarters

60: Bail and fellow Senators speak about the Senate

68-69: Obi-Wan tells Padme of his worries about Anakin and that he nows they're in love

71: Meeting with Organa, Mon Mothma and Padme

73: Anakin informs Palpatine that Obi-Wan soon will have Grievous' head

74: Jar Jar greets Anakin at Senate

75: Anakin confronts Padme

76-77: Republic cruiser arrives at Utapau

83: Obi-Wan chooses his lizard, Boga

86: Mace talks to Yoda on Kashyyyk, telling him of his plans to arrest Palpatine

88-89: Padme presents to Palpatine the Senators' petition

93: Utapau windmill

121: "crazy" Yoda and Chewbacca ambush an AT-ST

176: Yoda lands on Dagobah

It's hard to say whether or not it's a good idea to have a particular scene cut, but my initial reaction is that some of these sound important, especially the first one. I need to see that sort of thing! Scenes 56-71 seem important as well, as does 86 and 176 would be nice too, but having 121 out makes all of the other deletions worthwhile.

Nathanial K'cansce
Apr 5th, 2005, 05:48:49 PM
Do you think it's possible that, since there's still a month, some of these scenes would be able to sneak their ways back into the final produtcion? I'd love to see that first set, 176, and 56.

Sanis Prent
Apr 5th, 2005, 06:34:46 PM
I honestly don't think any of these are really that important, except for the senate conspiracy scene. Even that could be done without, so this isn't a big deal.

Jedieb
Apr 5th, 2005, 09:19:41 PM
I'm very dissapointed with the cut of 176. I was really looking forward to seeing that shot. I think it would have made the montage at the end all the more powerful. At the end I'd like to see where each of those OT characters end up, Luke, Owen, Beru, Ben, Leia, Vader, Palpy, and of course my boy Yoda. It had better be on the DVD.

JMK
Apr 6th, 2005, 06:54:56 AM
I noticed 2 scenes were cut that contain some kind of reference to 'gags' or 'crazy'. One being R2's hangar gags, the other being the crazed Yoda attack. To me it sounds like Lucas gets it this time. He wants a dark movie, he's got to cut the kiddie jokes out. If there's a scene where R2 is creating all kinds of tricks like a prop comic and Yoda is acting more like a Muppet than a Jedi in deep trouble, it kind of ruins that dark motif you're trying to set.

Doc Milo
Apr 7th, 2005, 10:29:46 PM
I agree, JMK. This is where the humor motif is supposed to hit its darkest point. I was one of the people who defended the more innocent "kiddie" jokes in TPM, and pointed out how the humor was more a mixture of "kiddie" jokes and jaded one-liners in AotC. The defense I offered was that the humor was mirroring the tone of the galaxy, and the tone in Anakin himself. In TPM the galaxy was pretty much innocent, Anakin was innocent, and the humor showed that. In AotC, the galaxy was growing darker, but there was still some of the old innocence left, even though it was being pretty much torn away by war. Anakin was still that frightened little boy, yet also a man growing darker because of his fears. The humor reflected the dual nature, dark at times, innocent at other. But now, for the motif to work, as the galaxy is plunged totally into darkness, as Anakin falls completely to the dark side, the humor has to reflect that. There is no longer room for any "kiddie" jokes. The humor has to be dark to reflect the tone.

JMK
Apr 8th, 2005, 06:32:06 AM
Nice! It's good to know someone agrees with me. :)

Jedieb
Apr 8th, 2005, 09:17:54 AM
I don't mind kiddie humor, it just has to be FUNNY. If the delivery is right, I'll enjoy it. If it's a lame delivery then it's going to be pretty annoying. As for ROTS, I think that as the film evolved, Artoo's scenes were added and expanded. Even his action scenes will have a certain degree of humor. Also, many times when Lucas talks about 'gags', he's talking about action sequences. Cutting a hole through a wall or door to escape a situation is his idea of a 'gag.'

AmazonBabe
Apr 8th, 2005, 09:47:07 AM
Still... it's quite possible these scenes will make it into the DVD release. Yes?

JMK
Apr 8th, 2005, 11:43:42 AM
I think it's more than possible, it's likely that we will see these deleted scenes at some point...