PDA

View Full Version : The fun never ends ^_^;;

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 9th, 2005, 11:41:26 AM
Got this in my PM box this morning. I'm sure Vega and Snack possibly know more about the situation than I do, and there are some of you here who talk to him more than I do (which I admit, is once every nine blue moons or so), but from my limited perceptions he seems like a decent guy. I know we just got through with essentially the same situation with Rivin, but I wanted to bring it to you guys regardless.

Ka' el Darcverse wrote on Today 10:35 AM:
I have never done this before, but due to a situation outside of my control I can no longer post at a board with this character.

I have rped with Invictus for over 2 years at a seperate board, he has been my primary character since I began rping and I have logged over 1000 replied IC with him. I have moved Invictus up the ranks from Sith Disciple to Sith Lord via training, character development, and battle threads. Invictus has been trained by Sith Lord Dagger and Snack, he was promoted to the rank of Lord by Vega van Derveld. I am asking for the staff to present my application to transfer Invictus to Fans at the rank of Sith Knight to the community. I understand that there is not really a process for this written in stone and I would not want to step on the toes of anyone on the board who might think it unfair for Invictus to start rping at Fans at a higher rank, but I'm hoping that people will see this as a unique situation and that my experience, reputation and hard work might help with this process.

If the staff feels that I am out of line with requesting this I understand and I will not plead this case in the OOC forums. In fact if acceptable I would like the staff to broach the subject to the community so that they see that I am going through the proper channels. Due to a situation that I do not wish to discuss openly and that is very lengthy in nature, I can not personally provide any links from the other board for the staff to go by, but if they are willing I will ask Snack, Jenny and Phantom to provide you links to my various duels, training threads and character threads. I apologize for the nature by which I have to do this, but I no longer have access to these threads and would have to subvert the rules of another board to obtain them on my own. An action I believe would not be justified by the end result.

I thank you for your time and input in this decision and will provide information to any members of the staff that have questions regarding my rank, reputation or situation.

Thank you.

PJ

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 9th, 2005, 12:47:46 PM
The difference between Rivin and PJ is that PJ actually has done years worth of work to create a strong, realistic character, where as Rivin has done diddlysquat!

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 9th, 2005, 12:56:32 PM
Yes, but Rivin might see this and take it to mean that he can bring over *other* characters at higher ranks than they deserve. Or anyone else might, for that matter.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 9th, 2005, 01:05:12 PM
That's my main concern with this - that Rivin would start caterwauling and crying favoritism or something like that. I'm really very undecided, as I think he's a very nice guy and open to suggestion; not to mention the fact that he doesn't strike me as the kind of individual who argues a point around in circles.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 9th, 2005, 01:22:16 PM
Yeah, I'm not trying to say that he's a bad person, just that I don't think we really want to set this precedent.

When Rivin originally came, the Staff told him that he could keep his rank if he RPed it out in Storytelling as a series of flashbacks. Which he never did, because someone else stepped in and disregarded what the staff had asked for. I think that the same option should be allowed to this Invictus character.

Khendon Sevon
Mar 9th, 2005, 02:48:42 PM
I know I’m not a moderator of SWF or a very prominent person but I do have a few opinions (I pray that I’m not out of place making these comments):

Why can’t this be used as an opportunity to show Rivin the correct way of transferring a character from one board to another? More importantly, why can’t a precedent that is well thought-out and acceptable by all parties be made?

This request has opened up an amazing possibility: we can show Rivin how to properly correct his/her mistakes and we can make sure that, in the future, we have references to cite instead of “he said she said’s.”

That being said I would like to say that I’m by no means an expert on any of this. My opinion is that any character really should have some RP material here to credit his or her claims. For example, the flashback procedure provides a reference for who trained the person in what.

In the case of Invictus several threads could be performed. The person behind the character, I’m sure, would rather write a few threads than re-create their entire character.

There are a few questions that have to be asked about flashbacks and their legitimacy: can they be used by new players who have no prior RP references to gain power? Would performing a power increasing flashback require the approval of the community and its staff members?

I think all angles, however obscure or deranged, have to be stated and countered or supported before any decision can be made. Otherwise a situational exploit might arise—I’m not saying it’ll come from this player, but it may arrive from others who are less scrupulous and genial.

I hope I’ve conveyed my thoughts clearly enough. Thank you for taking time to read my post.

Lady Vader
Mar 9th, 2005, 03:55:03 PM
Perhaps revisiting the idea of RPing "flashbacks" for Invictus would be a good way for him to keep his rank and show that is the policy of SWF?

And what with Rivin not being a part of TSO anymore and his rank possibly questioned, it might not be a bad idea to revisit the idea with him as well.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 9th, 2005, 08:16:22 PM
I think that, in answer to one of your questions Khendon, a 'training flashback' sequence would, if at all, only be available to already trained individuals from other RPing boards who 1. have threads to prove they're worthy of their rank on the other board, 2. people vouching for you is good too, and 3. the RPing staff agrees to make the exception.

It would not be considered an option for those who come with no experience. In Rivin's case, he was vouched for by someone who posts here, but had no training threads of any kind to back up his claimed rank (except aforementioned 'vouching') because he alleged he RPed on a chat based RPG site.

I don't think making this "policy" is a good idea - the policy is to start at the bottom. We don't want to start changing that. A precedented exception, yeah maybe.

Milivikal k'Vik
Mar 9th, 2005, 08:38:40 PM
Invictus has craploads of threads. I think that the whole point is that people work to get where they are. If we have pages upon pages of threads for someone when they come in and it's good work, I don't see what the problem is.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 13th, 2005, 12:43:01 PM
I just talked to him today. He's decided that the character won't work here and that it brings up too much memory of the dramallamas. He's going to focus on Kal-el instead.