PDA

View Full Version : Boulevard of Broken BasketCases

Nathanial K'cansce
Feb 21st, 2005, 10:06:15 AM
April 27, 2005. 8:00pm.

I shall see Green Day live, in person, in concert. The ticket, henceforth known as 'precious', rests in my palm, or on my desk, or in my pocket, blah blah.

*joy*

It's definately going to be a long two month wait, though. But at least I'm gonig to be going to it! First Incubus, now Green Day. *more joy*

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 21st, 2005, 11:02:21 AM
And you will love it. I saw them on Feb 8th (with New Found Glory in support) and they were AMAZING :D Seems me and you keep going to the same concerts, Snack :)

Kelt Simoson
Feb 21st, 2005, 12:55:55 PM
Saw them last year at Reading Festival and because 50cent got booed off stage (hey its a rock festival not a ghetto one) they did a two hour set, one hour extra :D

Lion El' Jonson
Feb 23rd, 2005, 02:53:45 AM
That's very cool, man. Hope you enjoy it.

The last musical artist that came to Beijing was Alicia Keys. ^_^;

Anbira Hicchoru
Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:18:40 AM
How is Green Day still around? They were all the rage way back when I was in MIDDLE SCHOOL for pete's sake. That was a gimmick I was sure that had run it's course.

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:31:02 AM
It has. Not wanting to cause any argument outbreak here but Green Day's new material is awful. Their earlier material is still great which is why I wouldn't mind going to see them these days. Lack of money is the blame for not going, I guess. But then, I wouldn't be suprised to find hundreds of screaming little chav pop princesess there now, since that is the crowd they've started pulling. Shame really. :\

(Strokes his Dookie) :cry

Anbira Hicchoru
Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:49:15 AM
Dookie was a good album, I agree. Everything else they did just kinda seems watered down and irrelevant.

Interestingly enough, we had the album art poster from Dookie in my fraternity's bathroom. It has hung in there for as long as anybody can remember. Nobody knows where it came from.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:57:53 AM
Originally posted by Loki Ahmrah
But then, I wouldn't be suprised to find hundreds of screaming little chav pop princesess there now, since that is the crowd they've started pulling. Shame really. :\

The guitarist of New Found Glory shouted out at one point: "Thanks to all the moms and dads for bringing their kids tonight! If there's anything single moms, you know where to come ;)"

Seriously though, I thought that would be the case as well, but at least in Newcastle it wasn't.

Dae Jinn
Feb 23rd, 2005, 01:28:20 PM
Originally posted by Anbira Hicchoru
How is Green Day still around? They were all the rage way back when I was in MIDDLE SCHOOL for pete's sake. That was a gimmick I was sure that had run it's course.

Obviously you've missed Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, etc.
It really seems like Green Day has jumped onto the Emo-eye-liner bandwagon, IMO.*

<font size=1>*My opinion being that famous musicians should not write songs whining about their lives, when they are indeed rich and famous rockstars, and the kids listening to them are middle-class kids who's biggest problem in life is how they're going to get to the mall. It's fine to enjoy music, but enough with the emo-whining garbage.</font>

Pierce Tondry
Feb 23rd, 2005, 01:49:57 PM
I'll agree with Dae here. "Time of your life" is Green Day's best song, IMO. That was released, a little under ten years ago I think?

Their latest album seems more like them trying to get into/influence politics through pop-rock culture. One of the reasons I greatly respect the Smashing Pumpkins is because they actually called it quits at a reasonable point in their career and moved on to do other projects instead of trying to recycle their music or use their past fame to keep attention on themselves. Nothing is quite so valuable in the long-term as a limited-run product.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 23rd, 2005, 02:24:47 PM
I greatly respect the Smashing Pumpkins is because they actually called it quits at a reasonable point in their career and moved on to do other projects instead of trying to recycle their music or use their past fame to keep attention on themselves.

You're being sarcastic right? :p I'm looking at you, Billy Corgan.

That aside, while I do think American Idiot is the weakest of all the Green Day albums, it still has some good tracks on it. It's not meant to be ground-breaking or whatever, at least IMO. It's just fun, and excellent for if you're looking for something easy to play on the guitar :D

Pierce Tondry
Feb 23rd, 2005, 02:44:11 PM
LOL yes Billy Corgan excluded. (and you make it sound like you play guitar, Jenneh-O)

Still, it's not like I've seen Melissa auf der Maur (or whatever her last name is) on the talk circuit recently, or even Corgan himself for that matter. Maybe everyone's just Zwan-ing it up in Japan and I haven't noticed.

Dae Jinn
Feb 23rd, 2005, 02:53:09 PM
Billy put out a book of poetry last I heard.

I'm just a jaded person I suppose. I was all "punk" in HS, and got made fun of for it. Now everything I got teased and tormented about is now cool :grumble Damn teenagers! ;)

Aaron Belargic
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:03:10 PM
Billy put out a book of poetry last I heard.

He's got a solo album due out this year, too :rolleyes James Iha and Melissa auf der Maur are fine in my books. It's just Billy that irks me :p

(and you make it sound like you play guitar, Jenneh-O)

I do! Albeit pretty poorly at the minute, but like I say, punk is the easiest thing to say and Green Day write some of the simplest riffs in the galaxy :D

Nathanial K'cansce
Feb 24th, 2005, 03:36:48 PM
I'll agree with Dae here. "Time of your life" is Green Day's best song, IMO.

I'll put that second after BasketCase and right before When I Come Around.

I also do like boulevard of broken dreams. *shrugs*

But then, I wouldn't be suprised to find hundreds of screaming little chav pop princesess there

I'm hoping! Er.. ^_^;

Seems me and you keep going to the same concerts, Snack

:D

Lady Vader
Feb 24th, 2005, 03:46:36 PM
(Strokes his Dookie) :cry

Dookie was a good album...

Oh thank the maker... ^_^;

I remember when Green Day came out with "Minority". My sister wouldn't stop playing the darn song! It was stuck in my head for weeks!

Artimus Devaneaux
Feb 24th, 2005, 06:51:05 PM
"Time of Your Life" and "When I Come Around" are the only two I've heard....me, personally, I prefer the older stuff (Jethro Tull, CSN, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc.). I grew up with people who liked those bands, what can I say? :D

Kelt Simoson
Feb 25th, 2005, 01:21:22 PM
Unfortunetly i didnt grow up with Punk on my doorstep so i kind of missed the earlier albums as a kid but ive been accuiring the older ones slowly, i was more brought up on most of the oldskool rocker bands like Metallica, Led Zeplin, Magnum etc etc..my mom loved them so i was brought up with it.

Kinda' wished i'd hit the punk music a little earlier...

Unfortunetly i've not heard American Idiot played live because Reading Rock 04 was just before the release of the album. And to be fair B of Broken Dreams is not quite what i'd call Punk ether.

Aaron Belargic
Feb 26th, 2005, 04:48:46 AM
No harm in not liking Punk music when it was around, you just don't generally get exposed to it when you're younger. I was brought up on David Bowie and I think I turned out just fine :D