PDA

View Full Version : I need Mod opinions...

Lady Vader
Feb 14th, 2005, 04:38:27 PM
Some time ago we accepted into our ranks at TSO a RPer who came from Talk City. He claimed knight status, which we gave to him without much trouble (*kicks self repeatedly*), and has since then started what may be construed as GMing.

Nothing has been done about him thus far. To elabortate on my concerns, here are some threads and explainations. I don't know how many of you have actually been keeping tabs on his RPing, but this is what I have gathered so far:

1) The way he RPs both Rivin and Rasha... it appears that he uses Rasha as a RP device to get what Rivin may need:
http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37810

2) He ignores certain things in posts to suite his needs:
http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37767

3) And then there is this whole thing of him having a large criminal organization in his back pocket with several followers thrown all throughout Corellia:
(see example for #1) & http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37816

4) Don't forget the minor yet irritating details like spreading thousands of datapads to distibute a message??? Ok, not that's it's a bad thing, but how possible is it really? Wouldn't it just be easier and more plausible to take over an airwave for a short period of time? (ok, this is just a small rant of mine):
(see example #1)

5) And I won't be very surprised if he does indeed RP with ppl about the Bounty placed on his head by Thareena, but don't expect him to play fair:
(see example #2)

I think out of all these, the ones that really start popping up red flags in my mind are the ignroing details in posts, and not seperating Rivin and Rasha.

I wanted to get ppl's opinions... make sure I wasn't just overreacting.

So, um, help?

If you want to see more RPs with Rivin and Rasha, they are littered everywhere, mostly in TSO (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=113) and the RP (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=2) forums.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 14th, 2005, 06:08:56 PM
I agree with your concerns, and have been watching Rivin for quite some time. I also know that a lot of other RPers don't like him because they also believe that he godmodes and etc etc.

I brought this to the attention of the other RPing mods, and nothing was done other than asking Rivin to prove his knight status (which comes back to there being no actual test, or training threads). I would like to give him a warning, and then on the next offense if there is one, ban him.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 14th, 2005, 06:19:44 PM
It has always been my understanding that Rivin is Shanaria Fabool - one of the flock that went to Ara'mir :huh

Morgan Evanar
Feb 14th, 2005, 06:34:20 PM
You're correct, IIRC. Let me double check. Edit: correct.

Lady Vader
Feb 14th, 2005, 06:40:34 PM
I tried checking what other characters he/she played, but the IP page kept timing out on me.

But I think you may be correct, s'Il.

EDIT: And Morg confirmed it. :)

On a diff note, and just out of curiousity... was Shanaria/Rivin/Rasha one of the ones that essentially created several characters within a weeks time? Not that it's a bad thing... just curious.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 14th, 2005, 07:07:16 PM
I've been having the same problems with that; it'll work and work and work, then it'll just stop as if I hadn't clicked anything at all.

But, if memory serves me correctly, Shanaria is also Thug, Random Person, Neyasha, Leten Snat, and Audra X-4. Those are really the only ones that I can remember off the top of my head. I'm not sure if she reg'ed the Eia Fabool account here though. Unfortunately I don't know how long of a time there was between each created account. Sorry.

Lady Vader
Feb 14th, 2005, 07:19:39 PM
That's ok. It wasn't really part of the issue.

The issue I was facing was essentially how it doesn't look like she pays attention to certain things in posts, or whether she's seperating her Rasha and Rivin characters concerning some things happening at TSO.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 14th, 2005, 07:27:04 PM
When doing IP lookups I would recommend that you not do more than one every few minutes. IP lookups strain the database in a big way. Its a query against a table that has over 600,000 records. Thats why it will work a few times and then stop working, because the server load has gotten so high that our host server has to be restarted.

LV, if you aree getting errors then you are not doing it correctly. Be sure to use IP numbers in the correct field and/or names in the correct field. If you put a name in the IP field it will generate a DB error.

As for the issue at hand: Have there been any official complaints from someone RPing with the individual in question? If yes, then warning #1, warning #2, warning #3, then ban. We don't typically ban with just a single warning under any other rules than infiltration or obscenity.

I don't really feel right about staffers singling people out as rule breakers without having official complaints from other members of the community that are, or have, RP'd with the individual having disciplinary action taken against. I'm not saying that is the case here, I am just stating my opinion.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 14th, 2005, 11:12:06 PM
I have had complaints from other members, although not through official channels. This isn't a new issue.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 15th, 2005, 11:06:50 AM
I also have had complaints, as I stated, but not 'officially.' This is why he has not been warned yet.

AmazonBabe
Feb 15th, 2005, 11:20:34 AM
Ogre: I did place the IP in the correct field and the name in the correct field. I just associated the problem with my firewall here at work. It wouldn't be the first time I've had problems with the mod database or even the forums themselves loading up. But it really wasn't a big issue.

As for Rivin, I've also heard complaints, but again not through official channels. It wasn't until i was speaking with someone else through messaging that I finally decide that perhaps I should officially post it and get mod opinions on what should be done, if anything.

Nothing gets done with talking through private messaging systems. It has to eventually be brought to the mods and eventually the the person in question and/or the community.

So, I brought it up.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 15th, 2005, 01:48:14 PM
I am in favor of treating this as official complaint number one, and warning Rivin for the first time.

Navaria Tarkin
Feb 15th, 2005, 04:16:43 PM
:: nods ::

I second that ... and if that is the case, we'll just have to make an rather long official PM to see what has to be done to curb the concerns/complaints.

Je'gan Olra'en
Feb 15th, 2005, 06:57:21 PM
Amen. Do it. I would, but Rivin and I aren't exactly buddy-buddy - he hit me with Force Lightning right after he was knighted.

EDIT: And that long official PM should mention that he promised to do all his training in flashbacks, and ask for the thread links. There's one that I've ever found, and it doesn't include any actual training.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 15th, 2005, 07:57:25 PM
Dark Lord Rivin wrote on Today 03:40 PM:

Lilaena De'Ville wrote on Today 02:01 PM:
When you joined these boards, you wanted to keep your rank from TalkCity, or wherever it was that you RPed previously.

It was granted, on the condition that you RPed out your previous training in the Storytelling forum, as flashbacks.

So, where are these threads?

I started them, but I was told not to bother. If you want I can continue them.

And accualy I didn't keep the rank, LV and I worked out that if I joined TSO, after a short while I would be premoted to knight.

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32465

The link above is where I was premoted.
This is a copy of the PM's I have already sent him on the matter, and his reply. Since he was a member of TSO and they 'worked it out,' I didn't feel comfortable pursuing the matter any further. (these were not sent 'today,' they were just copied on the day I wrote them.)

AmazonBabe
Feb 15th, 2005, 08:01:57 PM
It's true we worked somethng out. I didn't think at the time it would be a problem, and seeing as he was coing from another RP community with that rank, I figured I'd let him keep it to a point.

Believe me, I'm much more the wiser now.

Je'gan Olra'en
Feb 19th, 2005, 12:53:51 PM
So did this happen?

Morgan Evanar
Feb 19th, 2005, 06:57:52 PM
TSO needs to tell her/him that they're going to loose rank unless they produce training threads. Or something. I'm not so good at this sort of thing right now.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 19th, 2005, 07:51:42 PM
He got kicked out of TSO.

One of the RPing moderators needs to write him up a warning. One... two... three...

Not it!

AmazonBabe
Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:21:30 PM
He got... what? O_o

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:52:11 PM
I'll do it :) Anything in particular I need to say? Seeing as how I've never written one, I think it's high time I did.

edit - although, I think it might be a little after the fact; not to mention she said she wouldn't be around much. Maybe I should write one up for the next incident? Unless you guys think it needs to be sent now regadless - I'm easy ^_^;

Pierce Tondry
Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:33:41 PM
I'm not sure there's too much point to putting it off. A short, polite note regarding the issue with a nod towards her current "afk" status would be my suggestion.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:36:15 AM
agreed - we can't put off the warning, it should be done.

Thank you Christin so much. :)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:18:14 PM
Alright, I'm just going to wing this and see what you guys think before sending it off.

Rasha,

It has come to the attention of the staff at SWFans through complaints that you have been godmoding and using one of your characters (who is opposed to Rivin) as a means to further Rivin. This also is a form of godmoding, and can not be overlooked.

Now that you (as Rivin) have been banished from TSO, the matter of your training threads - or lack thereof - comes into question. An issue of fairness must be observed, and because you have no solid base of training in terms of threads completed, this issue must be looked in to.

We understand that your posting time is being reduced, but we also wish to inform you of the complaints that we have recieved and that we, as a concerned staff, will be working to clear this up.

Thank you for your time,

SWFans staff

I've never written one of these before, so please pick it apart and tell me what is good and what isn't.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:14:45 PM
Remember to put in the part about this being his/her first warning about godmoding, and after three total warnings offenders are banned.

Je'gan Olra'en
Feb 23rd, 2005, 11:20:33 PM
It's a thing of beauty.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 24th, 2005, 07:27:47 AM
Revised:

Rasha,

It has come to the attention of the staff at SWFans through complaints that you have been godmoding and using one of your characters (who is opposed to Rivin) as a means to further Rivin. This also is a form of godmoding, and can not be overlooked.

Now that you (as Rivin) have been banished from TSO, the matter of your training threads - or lack thereof - comes into question. An issue of fairness must be observed, and because you have no solid base of training in terms of threads completed, this issue must be looked in to.

We understand that your posting time is being reduced, but we also wish to inform you of the complaints that we have recieved and that we, as a concerned staff, will be working to clear this up. I would like to stress that this is only the first official warning. However after three total warnings, offenders are banned.

Thank you for your time,

SWFans staff

AmazonBabe
Feb 24th, 2005, 04:11:00 PM
Looks good to me.

I do want to let you guys know that we did bring this to her attention as well in one of the locked forums. She of course denied that she was using Rasha to further Rivin's agenda, and perhaps that's true. In either case, she has suggested in killing Rasha off and we are now working on the RP process for that.

And as to my Azure thread, when she complained to me about the sticky goo, I gave her a RPing example as to how to get out of the mess. She went ahead and used the example with my permission and edited her post accordingly.

So she is attempting to right the wrongs. But I know others have expressed problems with her in other RPs and such.

So, should the warning go out as is, or should it be changed so as not to be so severe? I'm just trying to be fair and look at this from all corners.

Je'gan Olra'en
Feb 24th, 2005, 04:26:37 PM
IMO, things like this have happened too many times for the warning to be changed. But that's just me.

Lady Vader
Feb 24th, 2005, 04:38:17 PM
Well, I do have to admit I feel like she's trying to get away or amnipulate trying to get in trouble. Which I can't really fault her for as most of us would do the same.

But, yeah, perhaps she should get the warning otherwise she won't learn unless ppl get in her face and tell her so.

Southstar
Feb 24th, 2005, 04:41:10 PM
One thing you might want to add is that we have noticed that she is trying to correct some of the wrongs. I say this so it doesn't seem to add to the conspiracy theory, that everyone is out to get her, she already has going.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 24th, 2005, 08:44:50 PM
Originally posted by Je'gan Olra'en
IMO, things like this have happened too many times for the warning to be changed. But that's just me.

agreed - she/he should still be warned. It's only the first warning, she's got plenty of time to right wrongs.

AmazonBabe
Feb 25th, 2005, 01:48:16 PM
Alright. Then proceed.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 25th, 2005, 08:10:52 PM
Alright - final draft?

Rasha,

We understand that your posting time is being reduced, and that you are working to clear these matters up - we thank you for that. But we also wish to inform you of the complaints that we have recieved and that we, as a concerned staff, wish to alleviate any tension between the players and help to make everyone's roleplaying experience fun and fair. I would like to stress that this is only the first official warning. However after three total warnings, offenders are banned.

Thank you for your time,

SWFans staff

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 25th, 2005, 08:21:31 PM
looks most excellent to me. :thumbup

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 27th, 2005, 03:24:17 PM
ok well, I've sent the PM.

Lady Vader
Feb 28th, 2005, 02:08:52 PM
Well written. Good job, s'Il. :)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:37:25 PM
Rasha Vill wrote on Today 04:21 PM:
[quote]s'Ilancy wrote on 02-27-05 01:10 PM:
Rasha,

Thank you for your consern, It was being delt with long before I got this message. TSO will be killing Rasha with my permision. Even though I was not using her to futher Rivin's cause, TSO has givin a logical argument and I have agreed to kill this character.

I was told that by joining TSO, and with the approval of LV I would be able to keep Rivin at his level of power that was established before he came to fans. From my understanding (According to LV), This had been done before and was not Shut down then. Unless people are finding a problem with how I play the rank I do not see how this is a problem, since the rank was given to him by TSO.

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32465

There is the thread where Rivin was givin the rank of knight.

We understand that your posting time is being reduced, and that you are working to clear these matters up - we thank you for that. But we also wish to inform you of the complaints that we have recieved and that we, as a concerned staff, wish to alleviate any tension between the players and help to make everyone's roleplaying experience fun and fair. I would like to stress that this is only the first official warning. However after three total warnings, offenders are banned.

Thank you for your time,

SWFans staff

I am not exactly clear on why I am receving this warning, and would apprecate futher explanation. Please understand I am not arguing the warning, just questioning.

I have a feeling this is going to be a big circle I'ma have to argue in :\ I thought I explained clearly why she was getting the warning :huh

Je'gan Olra'en
Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:56:35 PM
Pretty much. This kid does not take common sense well.

From my understanding (According to LV), This had been done before and was not Shut down then.

I must have missed that part; as far as I know no precedent ever came up in ANY of the discussions over what happened with Rivin.

Unless people are finding a problem with how I play the rank

Rank of Knight + no further training = no lightning, IMO.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 4th, 2005, 01:41:36 AM
I think the point is that some people *are* finding problems with how he'she plays the rank.

Yeah... looks like a user of circular logic to me.

Tell her "you got the warning for godmoding."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 4th, 2005, 10:09:05 AM
my reply:

s'Ilancy wrote on Today 10:08 AM:

From my understanding (According to LV), This had been done before and was not Shut down then.

Unless Lady Vader wishes to clarify, there is no such current precedent that I am unaware of.

Regardless, people are complaining, therefore a warning must be issued.

AmazonBabe
Mar 4th, 2005, 02:23:04 PM
I told him/her she could retain the rank of Knight while at TSO. At the time, I had figured if she left TSO, he/she would still keep it due to his/her RPing .

In any case, Rivin is banished from TSO, and I cannot protect him/her any longer (not that'd I'd care to anyways). The majority consensus here I know doesn't see the character as a Knight, but seeing as he/she has been RPing it this long, I don't see any reason to take it away.

HOWEVER, TSO is adding a new rank into their ranking system: Lord. As Lord, that's when you learn Force lightning. Therefore, if Rivin is a Knight, there should be no Force lightning to speak of.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 7th, 2005, 12:31:45 PM
got this:

Rasha Vill wrote on 03-04-05 12:01 PM:

s'Ilancy wrote on Today 08:08 AM:

Unless Lady Vader wishes to clarify, there is no such current precedent that I am unaware of.

Regardless, people are complaining, therefore a warning must be issued.

But I don't really understand, What can be done about this since the rank was givin to Rivin at TSO? It's not like he can forget the fact that he is a Sith Knight. But we have already been over this before... http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29649 ... And it had been delt with.

Here is a Quote from a PM that LV Sent me when this topic first came up.

AmazonBabe wrote on Today 01:10 PM:
Cause everyone else seems to be giving you a lot of unneccessary flak.

Joining TSO (even if it's for one month) can be a way of keeping your rank. It's not uncommon for us to take in those that have a higher skill level, unless they wish to begin with the basics even if their skill level is high.

This also frees you from the whole board's "you can't start off as a Lord... yadda yadda" crap. We have diff rules at TSO.

And once you've joined and been there for a month and then decide to go solo, you are free to do so. We don't hold our members prisoner and they are free to go when they so wish.

(FYI... I also play Lady Vader.)

Dark Lord Rivin wrote on Today 13:23:55:
Ok... So I guess I could say that between the time that he left The cave and the time he took on Talzen as an apprentice. When He leaves TSO There could be a to go solo there could be an RP where he has a scuffle with one of the people in charge, that ends up with him being defeated, causing him to leave.

I can work with that. As long as I'm not expected to do much with The Sith Order......

AmazonBabe wrote on Today 01:28 PM:
Nah. You don't have to do anything at TSO. I'm just offering you a hassle-free way of keeping what you want for your character.

Only thing is, is if you leave under bad terms with TSO, then it's grounds for them hunting you down for the rest of your life.

But, like in your example, you have a scuffle with one of the Elders (say LV), then you could be banished. Yes, attempts will be made on your life, but they won't be as frequent if you were to say betray the Order in some way.

Disrespect of a high level towards an Elder can get you banished. So that could work.

Note: Today in the Wrote by line = May-30-2003

I really don't know if I should reply to this, since as I said before, it'd just be arguing in circles. And if I do reply, it would only be to reiterate that she got a warning for godmoding.

Thoughts?

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2005, 12:41:28 PM
Tough call for sure. Been there and hated it. Some people just love to go on and on. I would probably not respond unless PM'd again.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 7th, 2005, 12:42:14 PM
Will do, Chief.

Lady Vader
Mar 7th, 2005, 12:46:59 PM
Reading my PM up there, I did indeed say she could have the rank at TSO. But I never said what would happen to said rank if she left TSO. 9At least from what I read... unless I missed something).

Soooo...

*shrug*

Yeah, just don't keep beating at the bush unless she says something else. She does have a tendency to go around in circles from convos we've had at TSO... not to mention she has this interesting way of flipping from angry to completely cooperative in a blink of an eye. Kinda scarey.

Je'gan Olra'en
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:25:07 PM
I've suggested to Rivin that it might be beneficial to actually do the promised flashbacks...would that still be viable?

Morgan Evanar
Mar 10th, 2005, 09:53:41 PM
Yes, it would be nice to have the rank be justifiable.

Je'gan Olra'en
Mar 11th, 2005, 07:59:15 AM
Knight or Lord? (There's the whole Lightning issue, y'see...)

Morgan Evanar
Mar 11th, 2005, 08:14:20 AM
Knight. This Lord deal is crap.

AmazonBabe
Mar 11th, 2005, 08:46:49 PM
>_<

And here we were trying to see how to fit it into TSO's ranking status. :x

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 12th, 2005, 05:55:43 AM
I don't think Rivin should even have Knight rank, to be honest.

Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
This Lord deal is crap.

In one way, I agree. But in another, it does help me feel like I've accomplished something with Vega... although it does also make me feel like he is the middle-child of his generation, doomed by TSE to stay at that awkward limbo rank for the rest of his existence! Heigh ho!

Morgan Evanar
Mar 12th, 2005, 11:51:27 AM
No no, you're misunderstanding me. For Rivin, Lord is crap.

AmazonBabe
Mar 12th, 2005, 02:53:03 PM
Oh! OK, so you're saying Lord no good for Rivin, but Knight good ONLY if he does flashback RPs.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 12th, 2005, 03:03:54 PM
yes. Which, as you might remember, is what was originally decided when Rivin first joined the boards.

Je'gan Olra'en
Mar 12th, 2005, 03:59:26 PM
I've suggested strongly to Rivin that he do those flashbacks, and that he needs to be very careful with using Lightning. If he ever gets around to replying to my PM, I'll elaborate.

Je'gan Olra'en
Mar 16th, 2005, 07:49:32 AM
Told him to be careful with the Force Lightning. His response:

Well accualy, Rivin really isn't doing Real Force lightning. What he is doing is a combination of Asorb and disipate energy, and teleknisis. The way it works is you absorb the electrical energy from an outside supply, transfer the electrical energy to an appendage, and then use teleknisis to make the air molocules in a perticular path closer together so that there is a path a less resistance. Then he simply desperces the energy into the path, making a single bolt of energy to travel through the air, and hit a target.

This is not force lightning, but a fake Force lightning that uses less complex powers. True force lightning can hit multiple targets with a powerful blast of energy that is created through the force. What Rivin is doing, is just a symple transfer of energy that can only hit one target, and it's power depends on how much energy he can absorb.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 16th, 2005, 10:54:01 AM
About the only thing I myself can offer is a dictionary to the girl.

Someone else is gonna have to field that whole energy dissipation deal she's got going on.

Anbira Hicchoru
Mar 16th, 2005, 10:55:26 AM
That dog don't hunt. Replacing something you can't do with something that's even more involved and convoluted isn't gonna work.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 16th, 2005, 12:15:12 PM
Multiskills subsitituting for one high level skill? Unless they basically do all that kinda thing since they were breathing, it flys about as well as lead ingots. Force lightning is complex, and this is just as complex.

Je'gan Olra'en
Mar 16th, 2005, 04:44:21 PM
Actually, s'Il, I'm pretty sure Rivin is a guy. Or at the very least in doubt.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 16th, 2005, 08:15:36 PM
So - what does this mean? Next time we see Rivin using 'lightning' we level another godmoding warning at him?

Morgan Evanar
Mar 16th, 2005, 09:29:35 PM
I think we just need to make it clear that he/she doesn't have the background to support what the character is doing.

Je'gan Olra'en
Mar 17th, 2005, 05:01:04 PM
Futher words of wisdom from Riv:

It's damage is nothing close to Dark force lightning, It has to have existing energy to absorb, it can only hit one target, and is very taxing on the person's energy levels making them fatuge quickly with more than one use in a week, and it has the side effect of making the arm that it is chanled through go numb for a short while.

...in other words, he doesn't want to give up his lightning. These limitations seem pretty extensive, though, almost enough to make me think it could work at a Knight level.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 17th, 2005, 10:44:26 PM
It would only be like getting nailed by a fork in an electrical socket. Annoying, but for a Jedi of any training, easily ignored.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 18th, 2005, 12:21:39 AM
eh if he wants it that bad, i say let him keep it. As long as the limitations are RPed out.