PDA

View Full Version : Hero of the Old Republic?

Alexi Hesith
Feb 10th, 2005, 09:25:07 AM
The halls of the Senate on Coruscant are lined with statues that memorialise those who have been of service to the Republic. Not just those who have served the New Republic are to be found hewn from marble, but those who served the Old Republic as well. They are statesbeings, leaders, creatures of integrity and virtue- mostly.

One statue, set in a corner of a committee room, memorialises a man who might not be said to embodied these latter qualities though he was undoubtedly a statesman and leader. The simple plaque on the pedestal identifies him as Gilad Lanius Kargin, Supreme Chancellor of the Old Republic.

Alexi Hesith
Feb 12th, 2005, 09:07:13 AM
"...so I really don't see how I can, Gilad," Senator Rejek of Borllias concluded, "If I vote it down today, in a year I’ll be out of a job."

He was standing in one of the Senate House's many vaulted corridors, beneath an arched window. Behind him were the streaming traffic lanes and monolithic tower blocks of Coruscant; in front of him was the Chief Whip.

"I quite understand your position, old boy," Giald Kargin said with seeming gentleness in his voice, “but you have to consider ours.”

“Your position?” queried Rejek.

“The Supreme Chancellor and I will be put in a difficult position if you vote against the party line,” explained Kargin, “A very difficult position.”

“What position? How?” asked Rejek with a hint of concern in his voice.

“Well we can't be seen to be going soft now, can we. Party won't stand for it. There are those who will want to see retribution for for dissenters, you know.”

“Retribution?” asked Rejek with a definite note of concern in his voice.

“Yes. I’m afraid so,” Kargin’s tone was mournful, “Make an example. Block proposals- that sort of thing.”

Rejek’s face paled just a little. He had a Bill in committee that he desperately wanted to reach the floor.

Kargin noted the paling and pushed still further, “That’s not the worst they’d ask for of course they might ask, even demand... Well I’m sure they wouldn’t, but you know what some of our colleagues can be like.”

“Ask for what?” Rejek had lost control of his tongue and was showing his concern clearly now.

“Withdrawal of support."

Rejek was sure he could hear the sound of a nail being struck into his political coffin. Withdrawal of support could finish him off- if the Supreme Chancellor did not visit his world at election time it would mean the loss of his majority.

“But I’m sure that it won’t come to that,” Kargin gave his fellow Senator a look filled with significance, “What do you think?”

“No, I don’t think it will.” The words were confident but the tone was not. Kargin had won.

“Glad to hear it,” said Kargin with a smile.

Alexi Hesith
Feb 15th, 2005, 02:57:03 PM
Noa Drase was concious of the weight of his new office. He still thought of it as new, after all it had been barely eight months since his election.

To reach the Chancellorship had been a dream of his for more than forty years- since he had first visited the Senate as a student. He had seen the great Chancellor Mendor at Qestion Time. The mastery of that being over the Chamber had been awe-inspiring. Drase was even more impressed after his eight months in office.

To win the Chancellorship is difficult. Retaining it is even harder- how Mendor had done it for nine years Drase could not understand. It takes only a simple majority of the Senate to remove a Chancellor- a single vote can make all the difference. Making sure that- if such a vote should be called- enough people will side with you is vital.

Drase thanked his gods that he had a good Chief Whip to keep the party in line. Those three-hundred and forty votes gave him a sense of secuirty. How he would survive without Gilad Kargin he did not know.

Alexi Hesith
Feb 17th, 2005, 11:22:36 AM
The corridors around the Chamber were unusually busy on this particular day. Normally one might find a few Senators, aides, reporters and so on wandering the corridors, but today the Senators were out in force.

The reason for this was simple, today was a day for battle. The loose confederation of parties and factions that called itself the Opposition was introducing a Welfare Package that would, according to its leader, "Make real provision for the needs of the people. Not the half-hearted effort we have seen from the Drase Administration."

It was well known that the Supreme Chancellor was determined to block the Bill. If it passed he would lose the advantageous position of the "Galactic Provider", which he hoped to use during the elections two years hence. It would also provide an excuse for a vote of no-confidence that could prove at best embarrassing and at worst crippling.

The Whip's Offices (for there were many) had issued calls to their Senators that essentially demanded their attendance for the vote. Every Senator who could attend would attend- or else.

Now the Whips and the party leaders were moving through the corridors seeking to firm up support. Huddled groups conferred, conspiratorial looks were exchanged, notes were passed.

"How's it looking, Gilad?" asked Senator Leo Bremer. Amongst Bremer's many jobs was that of Secretary of Welfare. His bald pate shone with perspiration. So bright was the glare that Kargin feared blindness.

"Thirty, thirty-five. We might be luck and get forty," replied Kargin.

"Hardly a bloody vote of whole hearted confidence," Bremer growled, "What happened?"

"A few of ours are running scared. They know what the voters want and are dfending narrow majorities. It's not winning votes so much " a passing Senator jostled the Chief Whip, muttering an apology, "so much as keeping the ones they already have."

"Who? Rejek isn't one is he?"

"No, no. He's on board. It's Ste'Rees, Teem, Kelik and that lot."

"Typical," snorted the Welfare Secretary, "What ever happened to loyalty?"

"I know, I know," lamented Kargin. "We'll carry the day though."

"You're sure?"

"Positive."

Alexi Hesith
Feb 18th, 2005, 06:31:29 AM
Speaker of the Senate B're looked up from his position on the dais. In front of him was the semi-circle of Senate boxes rising tier upon tier above him. The Senators all got a box, but it was becoming increasingly difficult to accomodate them all. Only last year a Speaker's Order had rearranged the seating so as to transfer all of the eighteen office holders to positions beneath the dais. It had freed up space, not much space, but enough.

At present there were eight-hundred and thirty three worlds entitled to representation. There were actually many more worlds in the Republic- but the vast majority were colonies or holdings of other, more populous and prosperous worlds. But that was changing. The last colonies of Core Worlds like Esseles, Anaxes and Duro had broken with their motherworlds after centuries of joint representation. Now the worlds of the Mid-Rim were looking to do the same. And the Outer-Rim worlds looking for membership all wanted their own Senator. What would happen to the Senate when that happened was anyone's guess. They might even have to dispense with the traditional half circle and go for Legislation in the round.

B're, a theatre buff, chuckled to himself at that one. With one hand he picked up the gavel whilst another signalled to the porters to shut the doors, and a third caught the attention of the clerk with a wave. Time to begin.

"Order! Order! The Senate is hereby called to order!"