PDA

View Full Version : Happy Mardi Gras!

Anbira Hicchoru
Feb 8th, 2005, 12:41:43 PM
Hope everyone's having a grand ol' Fat Tuesday. Eat, drink, and be merry, because come tomorrow, it's all over for forty days!

So, hope you don't get stuck with the baby in the King Cake, and be sure to mix yourself a Hurricane and enjoy some crawfish etoufee. Even if you're one of the unlucky sods who can't be in the Big Easy, like myself this year. It's still a party out there, and Lent's still a few hours away :mischief

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 8th, 2005, 02:57:25 PM
Downtown Portland is going to be party central tonight. Women run topless down the streets - and it's like 36 degrees!!!

I'll probably be going out - off tomorrow, so why not?

Anbira Hicchoru
Feb 8th, 2005, 03:32:58 PM
I will be getting off work and heading straight down to Copelands for etoufee and hurricanes. However, Copelands might be packed out, so I may end up elsewhere.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 8th, 2005, 05:27:04 PM
:( We're too broke to go out. Enjoy Mardi Gras with out me. :(

Sanis Prent
Feb 8th, 2005, 08:10:44 PM
I'm back. Whoa, STRONG drinks :D

AmazonBabe
Feb 9th, 2005, 05:43:43 PM
I had some King Cake yesterday... but I didn't get stuck with the baby. That thing has a PURE SUGAR topping. I was HYPER! :D:p

Dan the Man
Feb 9th, 2005, 08:18:07 PM
The frosting king cakes are good, but the ones with cream cheese are even better, IMO.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 9th, 2005, 08:31:04 PM
What's the deal with the baby in the King Cake? Not to mention I've never even heard of King Cake before this thread...

Dan the Man
Feb 9th, 2005, 08:42:19 PM
It's a holdover from Pre-Victorian European Christmas culture, which also included elaborate observance of the Epiphany. Combine that with the social caste inversion from the Lord of Misrule and his court of paupers, its the centerpiece of an event in which ordinary people become important, or "kings for a day". The cake is in the shape of a crown for this reason.

The "baby" is a French modification of the original version, which was a fava bean in Roman times. The baby, not suprisingly, represents the Christ child.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 10th, 2005, 12:37:37 AM
Oh ho *has Hogfather flashbacks* It's all starting to make sense, in a pagan sort of way.

Wei Wu Wei
Feb 10th, 2005, 09:04:50 AM
:lol the Hogfather? I never knew about King cakes. That's very interesting. Somehow I always miss Mardi Gras. It sneaks past me somehow.

AmazonBabe
Feb 10th, 2005, 11:47:59 AM
So, don't they make one WITH cream cheese AND a thick sugar topping? *drools*

Anbira Hicchoru
Feb 10th, 2005, 12:59:12 PM
The cream cheese king cake is plenty sweet I can assure you.

AmazonBabe
Feb 10th, 2005, 01:09:44 PM
:lol I wonder if I'll contract diabetes. :p