PDA

View Full Version : Chief of State position

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 29th, 2004, 04:06:56 PM
Hello to all people who RP in the political realm. It's been RPed that the current CoS is nearing the end of her term. I would like to replace "Organa Solo" with a different NPC, or perhaps an actual RPer.

Thoughts?

Senator Thareena
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:26:48 PM
No one?

Shanaria Fabool
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:09:27 PM
It's worked so well as an NPC so far, so why not just keep the position as an NPC?

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 27th, 2005, 11:37:00 AM
To be honest, I think it could work well either way. I know some people might get a bit peevish about someone playing the Chief of State, but I'd like to see the character actually fleshed out into something more than an NPC who is just casually mentioned now and then.

James Prent
Jan 27th, 2005, 01:30:34 PM
Yeah, I agree with Dasq. The question is mainly for those who are involved in RPing the senate (namely myself and Hesith/Anar because everyone else has flaked)... since we're the ones who'll be involved with this character the mostest.

Tiberius Anar
Jan 27th, 2005, 02:12:24 PM
Hehe. "Mostest".

I agree with the idea of fleshing out the character either as an NPC or as a PC. I think that, unless someone new (ie from outside the NR) wants to play the role we should keep it NPC but make sure it is a real character not a prop.

My personal plan would be that we create an original Deputy-COS who we can develop. When Organa-Solo comes to the end of her term and an election is called she supports her Deputy's campaign to succeed her. S/He wins the election and we have a new COS. Kind of like Bush Sneior succeeding Reagan.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 27th, 2005, 03:32:12 PM
Except that won't be how it works out. ;) But yes, an NPC who is a real character instead of just a name would be good.

I suggest we make him/her an alien just to make it interesting.

Tiberius Anar
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:31:50 AM
Good idea. Commence brain storming...now.

Senator Thareena
Jan 31st, 2005, 05:09:39 PM
Possibly a mon calamari... or a Bothan (not Borrsk). Someone recognizably NR. Actually, a twi'lek CoS would be cool. :)

Rognan Dar
Jan 31st, 2005, 11:18:45 PM
I dont recall there ever being a Twi'lek CoS. That would be very interesting to see. I dont like the idea of a Bothan, though. Not after Borrsk. Anything else would be fine. But I'm not really into this kind of thing so it doesn't really matter to much what I say.

James Prent
Feb 1st, 2005, 01:17:48 AM
Borrsk has never been CoS here, he's dead. Assassinated by Sith a few RL years ago.

And damn straight we don't care what you think boy!

;)

Tiberius Anar
Feb 1st, 2005, 02:58:44 AM
Definitely in favour of a non-human here. We have too few of them around.

Once we've got a character sketch let's start referencing him/her IC. We can begin by editing my erroneous reference to Borsk as Deputy CoS.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 5th, 2005, 04:02:17 PM
How about... Geonosian? Or are they not part of the NR?

Rognan Dar
Feb 6th, 2005, 12:19:23 AM
:x

James Prent
Feb 6th, 2005, 02:44:00 AM
:grumble It was just an idea!!

...anyone else have ideas?

Tiberius Anar
Feb 6th, 2005, 03:56:26 AM
I'm rather taken with the idea of a twi'lek myself.

Rognan Dar
Feb 6th, 2005, 09:51:05 PM
Same here.

Alexi Hesith
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:04:54 PM
I have had a brain wave. (Gasps from audience).

When we have our Deputy Chief of State (DCoS) ready to be introduced we can use a synthesis of various thread ideas I have seen floating around the last few months as his/her testing ground.

Let's say that the CoS is really unwell, under the Constitution that means the DCoS gets to be in charge. At about that time a crisis is looming and the DCoS is dropped right in it.

As a starting point lets say that one of the neutral worlds one the NR border, who traditionally hold a grudge against a member world, has been receiving weapons and equipment from a third party- say a large third party (but not the Imperials). The threatened member world demands that the NR do something to protect it and uses its Senator to get the Senate or the High Council to order immediate steps to be taken. The Executive has to implement that order- how is left up to them.

The DCoS is sitting there and he has the Cabinet Secretaries telling him to do one thing or another. He has the military telling him to do another and, all the while, the Ambassadors from the neutral world and the large faction are telling him it is none of his business.

A successful resolution of the crisis will make him look very good and put him in a much stronger position to succeed the current CoS when the time comes.

Thoughts?

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:52:53 PM
hmm.. it's interesting. I had a thought - maybe a barabel CoS? They've got an intense respect for the Jedi - might make it interesting. Although, with the tides turning against Jedi/Force users, might make it tooooo interesting.

I love the thought that when Coruscant falls the Senate will be scattered and the CoS taken - for quite a while the NR government will be in total upheaval, at least, until they can gather all the suriving senators together in one spot to see who's left, and therefore who they have to pick from to be the new CoS. >D

Tiberius Anar
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:55:14 PM
I thought we would arrange it so that the DCoS survives- takes over automatically but until it is clear the CoS is gone the position is shakey. It'll be kind of like Clancy's Executive Orders

James Prent
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:58:09 PM
well yeah, but until the DCoS makes it to the renedvous point (or whatever) ... tension. And some infighting. It'll be great.

Tiberius Anar
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:59:18 PM
Oh yes. The infighting. The infighting!

Telan Desaria
Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:24:20 PM
Not the Imperials???? That is sdiscrimination!!!

Perhaps the Corporate Sector Authority then. They are willing to sell their mothers for aprofit - -think human Ferengi.

Rognan Dar
Feb 27th, 2005, 10:51:00 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
hmm.. it's interesting. I had a thought - maybe a barabel CoS? They've got an intense respect for the Jedi - might make it interesting. Although, with the tides turning against Jedi/Force users, might make it tooooo interesting.

Well, there can be several reasons why this wont work. The barabels, as it is writen about, tend to be violent. Now, I dont know about you, but if my CoS got mad at the first person that insulted him and then went after that guy with a vengence...I dont think that would be a good thing. I still like the idea. Not all Barabels are going to act the same, and maybe a politicial one will be more incontrol of such things.

Another reason I see, and this is a big one, is what LD said: They are very respectful of the Jedi and listen to them and obey them to a great extent. Now, with all this anti Force thing that is going around, having a CoS that would listen to the Jedi and obey what they tell him to do would be a very bad thing to do. It would make the Jedi look like they are trying to get power over the NR by means of a figure head that doesn't question them. But, like I said before, maybe not all of them would do this and we could them work this out. I just thought I would share my thoughts on this, because I think it would be cool to have a barabel CoS.

Lion El' Jonson
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:04:53 PM
Originally posted by Telan Desaria
Perhaps the Corporate Sector Authority then. They are willing to sell their mothers for a profit - -think human Ferengi.

Interesting, actually.

I always loved the Ferengi. The CSA sounds like a good choice, especially because we've been stepping on their toes lately, interdicting suspect shipments. They're also one of the few major regional powers remaining in the galaxy (much like the Breen, or the Gorn). IIRC, they own approximately 200 VicStars, as well as several thousand smaller ships, so they're a force to be reckoned with, and this would put them well in the realm of arms dealing.

However, I see two minor problems with this: the CSA is (was?) nominally associated with the Empire; I believe it was Palpatine who basically had the CSA formed. I don't know if that'll give us some incentive to jump the gun on the Sovereignty Issue.

Problem two: Is the CSA affiliated with the one of the roleplaying groups here? I thought I remembered them being mentioned alongside the Sector Rangers, or the Cizerak Pride, or something. ^_^;

As an aside: The Twi'lek also have a healthy respect for the Jedi (it goes along with killing Bib Fortuna and saving the galaxy...you know...), and I believe that they'd make far better diplomats than the Barabel. I think a Barabel aide would be better suited to serve the DCoS, as he could be hissing pro-Jedi suggestions into one ear. :lol

Kieran Devaneaux
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:07:35 PM
Originally posted by Telan Desaria
Not the Imperials???? That is sdiscrimination!!!

Perhaps the Corporate Sector Authority then. They are willing to sell their mothers for aprofit - -think human Ferengi.

A Trekkie, too? Holy crap, I'm not the only one! Thank God! :D

I thought the CSA was technically part of the Empire, too.......even if Palpatine is dead, surely it could have allied with one of the Imperial Remnant groups.

Lion El' Jonson
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:35:23 PM
Well, who knows. Like Telan said, the CSA was purely about profit; I'm sure they've got their own Rules of Acquisition. :lol

I just finished watching Season 6 of DS9 on DVD..only 5 dollars per season over here in China. :lol

We're going off topic, though. No, I always thought that the CSA would keep to itself, and maybe just form a couple of regional alliances. It wasn't the CSA's style to get involved in galactic conflicts. They mostly stayed out of the Galactic Civil War.

Kieran Devaneaux
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:47:52 PM
Then couldn't the CSA be considered part of the CIS? The CSA would work well with a group of greedy scumbags who think just like they do.... :D

James Prent
Mar 1st, 2005, 06:33:50 PM
What the hell does the Corporate Sector Authority have to do with discussing the next Chief of State??? I totally fail to see the connection.

The CSA, is not a people group like the Twi'lek or Barabels or Mon Calamari. It is a group like the Sector Rangers, providing a 'service' (anti-smuggling, get the bad guys) for a certain region of the Galaxy. It was written about in the first Han Solo Trilogy.

Lion El' Jonson
Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:12:13 AM
Originally posted by James Prent
The CSA, is not a people group like the Twi'lek or Barabels or Mon Calamari. It is a group like the Sector Rangers, providing a 'service' (anti-smuggling, get the bad guys) for a certain region of the Galaxy. It was written about in the first Han Solo Trilogy.

If I remember correctly, the CSA was a semi-autonomous regional power with loose ties to Emperor Palpatine.

It was set up as an area of free-enterprise, where companies could basically make their own rules (pretty much true capitalism), and it is governed by a cabal of CEOs. They were allowed to govern themselves because they donated tons and tons of money to Emperor Palpatine's forces. They maintain a large security force (called the Espos, I believe) that has access to a wide-range of equipment, and their picket fleets are composed of VicStars, Dreads, and Marauder-class Corvettes. It was very much a political power; though it stayed out of galactic affairs, it had all of the facilities that a government would provide. The 'Stars End' Prison Facility was constructed by the CSA.

Despite all of this, I don't believe that they are very much like the Sector Rangers, in that they're rather underhanded and greedy...again, like the Ferengi. They might go after smuggling (because it could hurt profits), but they tended to be extremely brutal in putting down rebellions, excavating new worlds, suppressing indigenous peoples, and the like. They were very much "Palpatinistic" in their methods.

Tiberius Anar
Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:21:23 AM
Could we postpone discussion of this scheme until we actually have a DCoS? Right lets see if we can't settle this. LD I will PM you.

Lion El' Jonson
Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:06:40 AM
Originally posted by Tiberius Anar
Could we postpone discussion of this scheme until we actually have a DCoS? Right lets see if we can't settle this. LD I will PM you.

I'm actually wondering how I got so far off-track. My apologies, Tiberius. ^_^;

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:46:36 PM
Originally posted by Lion El' Jonson
If I remember correctly, the CSA was a semi-autonomous regional power with loose ties to Emperor Palpatine.

It was set up as an area of free-enterprise, where companies could basically make their own rules (pretty much true capitalism), and it is governed by a cabal of CEOs. They were allowed to govern themselves because they donated tons and tons of money to Emperor Palpatine's forces. They maintain a large security force (called the Espos, I believe) that has access to a wide-range of equipment, and their picket fleets are composed of VicStars, Dreads, and Marauder-class Corvettes. It was very much a political power; though it stayed out of galactic affairs, it had all of the facilities that a government would provide. The 'Stars End' Prison Facility was constructed by the CSA.

Despite all of this, I don't believe that they are very much like the Sector Rangers, in that they're rather underhanded and greedy...again, like the Ferengi. They might go after smuggling (because it could hurt profits), but they tended to be extremely brutal in putting down rebellions, excavating new worlds, suppressing indigenous peoples, and the like. They were very much "Palpatinistic" in their methods.

I still have no idea why this little discussion is relevant to the Chief of State discussion. THE DOTS DO NOT CONNECT FOR ME!!!!

Please, explain.

Tiberius Anar
Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:16:23 AM
Lion, no need to apologise. LD regarde si'vous plais.

*Takes out a crayon and begins joiuning dots*

You see I pitched this idea:

Originally posted by Senator Hesith
I have had a brain wave. (Gasps from audience).

When we have our Deputy Chief of State (DCoS) ready to be introduced we can use a synthesis of various thread ideas I have seen floating around the last few months as his/her testing ground.

Let's say that the CoS is really unwell, under the Constitution that means the DCoS gets to be in charge. At about that time a crisis is looming and the DCoS is dropped right in it.

As a starting point lets say that one of the neutral worlds one the NR border, who traditionally hold a grudge against a member world, has been receiving weapons and equipment from a third party- say a large third party (but not the Imperials). The threatened member world demands that the NR do something to protect it and uses its Senator to get the Senate or the High Council to order immediate steps to be taken. The Executive has to implement that order- how is left up to them.

The DCoS is sitting there and he has the Cabinet Secretaries telling him to do one thing or another. He has the military telling him to do another and, all the while, the Ambassadors from the neutral world and the large faction are telling him it is none of his business.

A successful resolution of the crisis will make him look very good and put him in a much stronger position to succeed the current CoS when the time comes.

Thoughts?

Which Lion and the others saw. It being military they couldn't help themselves. So they posted *Marks a very big dot* and that led us here *draws very long line across and down* where you came back in. That help?

As for what has been said useful, but not relevant until we actually have our DCoS. Therefore we will create him/her. I am busy with essay writing until end of tomorrow. After that I will put on my serious thinking hat and you [LD] and I can do a character sketch of the DCoS.