PDA

View Full Version : Short story competition?

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 21st, 2004, 07:06:52 AM
I was thinking recently that it might be quite cool to have a competition here. The basic idea would be that the members have to write a short story, based on something that we the staff come up with - for example, they have to use a certain line in the story, or have to start with a certain line, or something like that. Anyway, there would be a set word limit and the staff (or perhaps the posters themselves?) could vote on who wins. Whoever wins gets a supporter account for a year (I don't mind paying for it if need be).

Thoughts?

Navaria Tarkin
Nov 21st, 2004, 10:26:15 AM
What we did last time was have a few people be the judges (mix of staff and posters if I remember)

I think trying to have a certain phrase or general situation happen in the short story would be a good way to judge creativity

TheHolo.Net
Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:14:17 AM
I am liking the idea of having some type of specific criterea set up front that still allows creative freedom, and as Nav said can be a good gauge for judging creativity.

Judging will be interesting to try and keep fair in the eyes of the members. We'll need to discuss that among ourselves and then with the posters to see if we can all come to a general consensus.

I myself think a mix of staff and posters is a good start, but maybe we need some criterea for judges to meet as well as not having any conflicts of interest either.

Navaria Tarkin
Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:28:59 PM
I think we are going to need to know who would like the volunteer to read the stories that do not wish to participate in the challenge.- then try and figure from there who would be impartial

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:40:54 PM
I'd definetly like to help out with the judging.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 23rd, 2004, 09:33:45 PM
s'Ilancy and I have talked about reviving RP competitions, and my idea then and now is that we should con a third party into reading and judging. Namely, the SW forum mods, or anyone from those forums who doesn't RP.

Esp. CMJ I think he'd be an excellent judge.