PDA

View Full Version : Video Rentals

Dae Jinn
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:15:06 AM
Recommend some. I rent movies nearly every pay week, mostly because we only have basic cable, and it's something cheap to do. :lol

I already have one movie I have to see - "The Story of Ricky" (if only for the ridiculious amount of exploding heads. I have no idea if I will actually find it though.)

Dutchy
Nov 17th, 2004, 09:13:29 AM
Go - cool, funny, clever, fast paced movie: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0139239/

Charley
Nov 17th, 2004, 01:47:10 PM
Go was not really all that good of a movie. It was a mediocre film propped up by a good soundtrack and not much else.

That being said, the talking cat was funny.

CMJ
Nov 17th, 2004, 03:21:18 PM
Give your prefered genre(s) and I'll give you plenty of suggestions .

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 17th, 2004, 03:48:18 PM
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is incredible, although it's best if watched twice, I think.

Kyashi
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:17:31 PM
I like cheesy horror, asian films (ranging from marital arts to chinese romantic comedies), bollywood? I just need some suggestions of different things -- I've seen tons of horror movies this past summer, and I watched a bunch of Jet Li movies too. :lol

CMJ
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:03:48 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is incredible, although it's best if watched twice, I think.

Didn't I tell you? It's the best film I've seen in years.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 17th, 2004, 10:37:43 PM
;) Yes I know, but I never got around to posting in the thread about it after I bought it. LOVE IT, and my husband liked it, which says a lot (since there were no explosions).

CMJ
Nov 18th, 2004, 12:03:02 PM
Originally posted by Kyashi
I like cheesy horror, asian films (ranging from marital arts to chinese romantic comedies), bollywood? I just need some suggestions of different things -- I've seen tons of horror movies this past summer, and I watched a bunch of Jet Li movies too. :lol

Not good on the cheesy horror quotient other than the obvious ones everyone knows. If you go Asian...Kurosawa is greatness. My favorite film in his canon is Ran(sort of a Japanese King Lear). The Japanese Shall We Dance is also a gem of a film(haven't seen the remake, but I doubt it compares). That should give you a start at least.

Bollywood huh? I watched acouple of Indian films in school, but I can't remember the titles. The Guru is a decent romantic comedy that kind of pokes fun at the Bollywood genre(among others).

Need any more suggestions just ask.

Dae Jinn
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:49:33 AM
They show Bollywood movies every sunday on tv, and chinese romantic comedies on saturday nights.

I wish I could find "The Last Sword Drawn" -- that was such a good movie.

Rented Dawn of the Dead (the remake) and Darkness Falls.

Dawn was just as good as before, the extras were really good. They used people who were missing limps for zombies with missing limbs. Which is weird, but interesting.

I heard that Darkness Falls was stupid, so my expectations were very low for it. it was better than I expected, but not great. I was worried it would be another 'Ring', but at least we got to see the evil creature. Lots of killing too. :D

CMJ
Nov 21st, 2004, 10:44:47 PM
For the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday I recommend Pieces of April. There are many X-mas movies that are released every year, but few about Turkey Day. POA is a really bittersweet movie and is a real gem.

Dae Jinn
Nov 21st, 2004, 10:46:24 PM
I live in Canada, but thanks. I'll have to remember that for next October ;)

CMJ
Nov 21st, 2004, 10:49:55 PM
It was actually a general recomendation for everyone - just didn't want to start a whole new thread. :) Definitely watch it sometime though...:)

Devon Russels
Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:58:38 PM
Hmm....matters what you like.

I say you should get the old Bruce Lee Movie. I dont know why I dont remember the name...but it involves a Dragon. The scene where he fights around glass windows. Gotta be the best scene of any fight/action orienated movie evah! (ever)