PDA

View Full Version : The Life and Death of Peter Sellers

Atreyu
Nov 14th, 2004, 02:06:37 AM
Has anyone else seen or heard about this film with Geoffrey Rush in the title role?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0352520/

I saw it just recently. Quite frankly Rush is astonishing playing not just Sellers, but also as Sellers's in some of his famous roles ('Dr Strangelove', 'The Pink Panther', 'Being There' etc etc) and even some of the other characters at certian points. I watched 'The Pink Panther' shortly afterward and I reckon good ole' Geoffrey is near perfect.

Charlize Theron also plays a pretty good Britt Ekland (she played Goodnight in the Bond film 'Man With The Golden Gun'). John Lithgow also stars as Blake Edwards (don't know how accurate his portrayl is though) and Stanley Tucci as Stanley Kubrick (probably the only disappointment - I don't think Tucci is anything like Kubrick from what I've seen)

The only downside to the film is that Rush looks a wee bit old when playing the younger Sellers. But he does a pretty good job nonetheless.

Anyway, I've just read that the film isn't going to be released in theatres in the US but instead go direct to TV. So Rush won't be eligible for an Oscar nomination. :(

Master Yoghurt
Nov 14th, 2004, 10:37:57 AM
I have not seen or heard about this film before, but it sounds interesting :)

ReaperFett
Nov 14th, 2004, 07:34:50 PM
I missed it in the cinemas, but it did look good.

CMJ
Nov 15th, 2004, 09:31:30 PM
The US premiere was tonight at the Graumans Chinese. I was down there as they were setting up. Didn't quite make it back, because some stuff came up. Wish I had though...you can usually see folks up real close at those things(after you dodge the papparazzi).

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 15th, 2004, 09:48:43 PM
The movie looks very good, it is going to be on HBO. I am sure he will win best actor for a movie at the emmy's.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:28:02 AM
I saw preveiws on tv last night about this movie and Id like to see it. Though Ive only seen the Pink Panther films, I still love Peter Sellers :)

Atreyu
Nov 21st, 2004, 09:03:57 PM
I have not seen or heard about this film before, but it sounds interesting.
I only found out about it thanks to a teaser I saw when I went to see Fahrenheit 9/11 - I hadn't heard of it before then either. :)

In particular I really loved it how Rush would 'narrate' certain parts of the film by actually playing some of the other characters - for instance there's a scene where Blake Edwards (John Lithgow)has just had a big argument with Sellers; Edwards sits down then looks up again, and it's now Geoffrey Rush playing him (and not Lithgow) with Rush proceeding to talk to the camera playing the new character. Rush also does the same thing with many other characters in the movie at various points (Stanley Kubrick, Sellers's parents etc).

Sad it's only going to be on HBO, but I suppose it will still be eligible for an Emmy.