PDA

View Full Version : And the Oscar for Best Actor goes to... 'Adolf Hitler'

Dutchy
Nov 9th, 2004, 03:31:36 AM
I just saw Der Untergang (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363163/) (The Downfall: Hitler and the End of the Third Reich) and I'm very impressed. Very realistic and compelling portrayal of the last days of Hitler's life. Bruno Ganz' performance is near perfect. It's the best performance I've seen in years. His anger is terrifying.

One of the very best movies of the year.

I've no idea if this movie will be released in the US, though I read Germany will send it in as candidate for Best Foreign Movie, so maybe it will.

If there's any justice Bruno Ganz will win for Best Actor.

Shawn
Nov 9th, 2004, 06:04:09 AM
I'm surprised to see this come out of Germany. I was under the impression that any references to Nazis at all - whether in a negative tone or not - were outlawed.

Gav Mortis
Nov 9th, 2004, 06:13:49 AM
Sounds absolutely fascinating! I wonder if I can catch this over here sometime. I'll check out the FACT website.

Dutchy
Nov 9th, 2004, 06:35:54 AM
Originally posted by Shawn
I'm surprised to see this come out of Germany. I was under the impression that any references to Nazis at all - whether in a negative tone or not - were outlawed.

Well, this is basically the first movie ever about Hitler in German, so go figure. They want to make absolutely sure that they don't give the impression to have any sympathy for him.

I haven't seen many movies about Hitler (or war movies in general, even) and I my reason to skip them is that they're in English. So that's what makes this movie so good, Hitler speaks German. Not only does he speak German, he actually speaks in Hitler's genuine, unusual Austrian accent. That, plus his mannerisms makes Ganz' portryal eerily good.

Charley
Nov 9th, 2004, 08:19:16 AM
Originally posted by Dutchy
I haven't seen many movies about Hitler (or war movies in general, even) and I my reason to skip them is that they're in English.

This kinda erodes the credibility of any argument you make against cultural centrism, you know.

Dutchy
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:05:36 AM
Originally posted by Charley
This kinda erodes the credibility of any argument you make against cultural centrism, you know.

Why? I like to see everyone speak their native tongue.

Or what exactly do you mean with that statement?

Dutchy
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:08:48 AM
I've no idea if this movie will be released in the US, though I read Germany will send it in as candidate for Best Foreign Movie, so maybe it will.

Yup, they do:

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?subchannel_id=26&story_id=13146&name=Hitler+film+competes+for+Oscar

Still don't know if that makes Bruno Ganz an eligible candidate for Best Actor, though.

Charley
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:10:35 AM
Why? I like to see everyone speak their native tongue.

Or what exactly do you mean with that statement?

I mean you write yourself out of seeing some great films because of this silly little distinction.

Dutchy
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:14:42 AM
I mean you write yourself out of seeing some great films because of this silly little distinction.

I wouldn't call Adolf Hitler speaking English a silly little disctinction.

It really adds to the portrayal him speaking in his native tongue and genuine accent.

Dutchy
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:21:12 AM
Besides, first you say it erodes my credibility of any argument I make against cultural centrism, and then you're concerned I miss out on great movies.

I see a difference there. :)

Charley
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:36:44 AM
Its just as ridiculous as giving Jesus of Nazareth a pass and preferring the Passion because of the Aramaic and Latin, when the former is considerably better than the latter. Or what about Sergio Leone westerns, for that matter?

Once again, its a smarmy kind of arrogance that really serves no useful purpose.

Dutchy
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:44:17 AM
Its just as ridiculous as giving Jesus of Nazareth a pass and preferring the Passion because of the Aramaic and Latin, when the former is considerably better than the latter. Or what about Sergio Leone westerns, for that matter?

Or what about a movie about September 11 with George W. Bush speaking in Hungarian?

Once again, its a smarmy kind of arrogance that really serves no useful purpose.

In some, or maybe even most cases, it's no problem really having people speaking English instead of their native tongue. With WWII movies, though, it really adds having Germans speak German. Or for me it does, anyway.

In this case, with Adolf Hitler, it has nothing to do with arrogance, but with a genuine depiction of his person and life. Speaking German really adds to the autheticity of it.

Charley
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:57:13 AM
Or what about a movie about September 11 with George W. Bush speaking in Hungarian?

If the movie's good, I'll sit through the subtitles

In some, or maybe even most cases, it's no problem really having people speaking English instead of their native tongue. With WWII movies, though, it really adds having Germans speak German. Or for me it does, anyway.

One of my favorite Cold War movies is Gorky Park in which the Russians are played by British actors. It did nothing to detract from the movie's feel.

In this case, with Adolf Hitler, it has nothing to do with arrogance, but with a genuine depiction of his person and life. Speaking German really adds to the autheticity of it.

Authenticity is one thing, but opting out of a movie for the linguistic reason alone is still pretty arrogant.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 9th, 2004, 11:40:32 AM
I don't see it as arrogance just as a personal choice heck if that Dutchy's opinion it his opinion. As for this getting Best foreign film. I am sure it will be nominated not sure about the actor for Best actor. Can only think of one foreign actor getting nominated in the last 10 years and that was for El postin (I think that was the name of it) CMJ would be a better person to ask.

CMJ
Nov 9th, 2004, 02:42:38 PM
There are 3 that I can remember. Carr got one. There was also Fernando Montenegro in I believe 1998 for Central Station and of course Begnini for Life is Beautiful

Dutchy
Nov 9th, 2004, 02:55:12 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I don't see it as arrogance just as a personal choice heck if that Dutchy's opinion it his opinion.

Amen. :)

Originally posted by CMJ
and of course Begnini for Life is Beautiful

Yep, and he won. Germans spoke German in Life is Beautiful, btw. :)

Gav Mortis
Nov 9th, 2004, 04:11:34 PM
Authenticity is one thing, but opting out of a movie for the linguistic reason alone is still pretty arrogant.

I agree, you're only cheating yourself if you stick to that mantra, Dutchy.

Dutchy
Nov 9th, 2004, 04:32:16 PM
Originally posted by Gav Mortis
I agree, you're only cheating yourself if you stick to that mantra, Dutchy.

Yeah, sure. I skip one or two movies about Adolf Hitler, and I'm an arrogant cheater. Sure. :)

Pierce Tondry
Nov 9th, 2004, 04:34:36 PM
If I might make an observation.

Discussing Dutchy's viewing preferences isn't pertinent to the topic of the thread. I'd suggest moving along back to the topic, lest things go where they needn't.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 9th, 2004, 11:06:41 PM
Thanks CMJ I knew you would know :) How did I forget Begnini I can't believe I forgot him.