PDA

View Full Version : US posters: Did you Vote?

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 29th, 2004, 01:28:27 AM
My husband and I have, representing Oregon. Anyone else fill out their ballots yet?

(This thread is not for political discussion - we have a separate thread for that already)

Ryan Pode
Oct 29th, 2004, 04:23:29 AM
You already voted? Sheesh. It's not till tuesday.

Pierce Tondry
Oct 29th, 2004, 08:28:35 AM
Yes, but to prevent "fraud" (which will happen anyway, on both sides) a lot of places have put out early voting forms.

darth_mcbain
Oct 29th, 2004, 08:40:45 AM
Just sent in my absentee ballot today...

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 29th, 2004, 08:53:03 AM
Well, I've never voted in Oregon before, but apparently here they've been sending out ballots and collecting them early for a while now. Its not something new. They basically collect votes and ballots from the time they send them out (about two weeks ago) until 8 pm on Nov. 2. 45% of Oregonians have voted already.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 29th, 2004, 10:05:15 AM
Voted Cheesegod.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 29th, 2004, 12:53:24 PM
w00t! *high fives*

Jedieb
Oct 29th, 2004, 01:40:23 PM
I'm going to ask my parents if they've already voted in Florida. I love the idea of early voting. Certain states also have same day registration. Something that can be abused, but would probably help get younger voters out to the polls.

Jinn Fizz
Oct 29th, 2004, 11:25:35 PM
I have permanent absentee status here in California, so I mailed my ballot last weekend.

We had 16 propositions on the ballot this time around. That was a hell of a lot of reading to do. :x

Charley
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:22:07 AM
Heading to the courthouse right now. Badnarik '04 babies :cool

jjwr
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:31:27 AM
I'll be voting after work. In small town Vermont no worries about fraud or needing absentee ballots, in a town with maybe 100 registered voters I'm not too worried :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:44:09 AM
I voted a little while ago. I like these new electronic machines they are so much easier. I always despised the punch ballots.

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:30:40 AM
Just voted. The turnout was insane. I've never seen that many people there all at once.

Figrin D'an
Nov 2nd, 2004, 01:50:28 PM
Voted over lunch. Turnout was very high; I waited in line for about an hour. Supposedly it was even busier before I got there (like 90 minute lines).

Charley
Nov 2nd, 2004, 02:08:46 PM
We were lined up around my court house's sidewalk, all the way to the street before the doors even opened at 7 AM. Very very high turnout.

CMJ
Nov 2nd, 2004, 02:35:39 PM
I voted about 2 hours ago. Turnout was low in this part of Los Angeles, but other precincts might be hopping, I'm not sure. From the early reports it looks like Kerry is going to win fairly comfortably.

There goes my 271EV margin. :p

Ryan Pode
Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:24:30 PM
I worked the polls earlier. Packed. Across a gym, out the door, down the hall. Just plain packed.

Figrin D'an
Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:33:05 PM
First polling closing times are in about 30 minutes. The first real indication of how the election could go will be when poll results from Ohio start to roll in... polls close there at 7:30 Eastern.

Ryan Pode
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:13:57 PM
Virginia is too close to call at this point. Whoo.

jjwr
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:16:10 PM
Voted, and Vermont is the first state reporting for Kerry! Whoo!

So far no suprises, Bush gets the south states so far...

Jedieb
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:40:26 PM
I voted and drove people to the polls this morning. Yes, they were all elderly and disabled Democrats, but who else to you expect to call the local DNC office for a ride to the polls? What does bother me is that I ran across Democrats who said they would never give a ride to a Republican. Look, I don't give a crap who someone in need is going to vote for, if an elderly or disabled Republican asked for my help to get to the polls, I'd take them without hesitation. If a high turnout means my guy loses, then so be it. But the idea of people trying to suppress turnout to help their candidate makes me sick to my stomach. I don't care if they're Republicans trying to shaft African-Americans, or Dems trying to keep Evangelicals from voting. They're BOTH SCUMBAGS.

CMJ
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:49:43 PM
I thought Kerry was going to steal WV...but so far no real shockers.

Figrin D'an
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:51:43 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
I voted and drove people to the polls this morning. Yes, they were all elderly and disabled Democrats, but who else to you expect to call the local DNC office for a ride to the polls? What does bother me is that I ran across Democrats who said they would never give a ride to a Republican. Look, I don't give a crap who someone in need is going to vote for, if an elderly or disabled Republican asked for my help to get to the polls, I'd take them without hesitation. If a high turnout means my guy loses, then so be it. But the idea of people trying to suppress turnout to help their candidate makes me sick to my stomach. I don't care if they're Republicans trying to shaft African-Americans, or Dems trying to keep Evangelicals from voting. They're BOTH SCUMBAGS.

Agreed. People getting out to vote and making their opinions count is what matters most.

We had kind of a nasty incident this morning in Milwaukee. The GOP had rented about 30 minivans to help to transport poll workers and voters, and when they arrived to pick up the vehicles this morning, the tires on all of them had been slashed. Of course, the mudslinging started shortly thereafter. Regardless of whom was responsible, that kind of thing is angering and sad at the same time. Fortunately, after the story broke, hundreds of phone calls came in from people wanting to volunteer their time and vehicles to transport voters, so at least it ultimately didn't curb people from getting to the polls too badly.

imported_Eve
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:27:57 PM
I voted at 7 AM. I waited in line for 10 minutes and was done. But I think we had a million polling places. My sister lives a block away and had to go to another polling place where she waited 15 minutes.

Jedieb
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:51:34 PM
We had kind of a nasty incident this morning in Milwaukee. The GOP had rented about 30 minivans to help to transport poll workers and voters, and when they arrived to pick up the vehicles this morning, the tires on all of them had been slashed. Of course, the mudslinging started shortly thereafter. Regardless of whom was responsible, that kind of thing is angering and sad at the same time. Fortunately, after the story broke, hundreds of phone calls came in from people wanting to volunteer their time and vehicles to transport voters, so at least it ultimately didn't curb people from getting to the polls too badly.
I heard about that. I hope they find the idiots who did that and they spend some time behind bars.

jjwr
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:57:49 PM
Agreed, that stuff just isn't called for. No matter which side you support people need to respect everyone's right to vote.

Rikki Van-Warren
Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:02:54 PM
Voted after I got of work in Indiana...

Kale
Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:21:02 AM
I headed home after classes at Cedarville, and my dad got off work in time so that he, my mom, and I could go to the polls together.

I was disappointed that I didn't see any of the thousands of cameramen Michael Moore apparently hired to film voting procedures at Ohio polls. But, then, I guess Spring Valley Township wasn't high on his list of precincts to cover. :)

Lady Vader
Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:59:42 AM
I voted early before I headed out to the UK.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:43:29 AM
I thought he sent them to Florida, which could be why you didn't see any. But you might have seen some of the 3200 lawyers the DNC sent there. Or the vote challengers from the GOP.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:58:05 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an

Rather fitting that an event such as choosing our nation's leader will bring out the best and worst in human nature, and what people are willing to do to help or hinder.