PDA

View Full Version : Bonds implicated...

darth_mcbain
Oct 17th, 2004, 01:25:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1903019

Come on and just admit it Barry - you're not fooling anyone... And it ticks me off that Selig on the one hand says that a stricter policy is needed, but on the other hand is just saying he's concerned they're just merely allegations... If you're gonna get strict, then do it...

Hopefully they will follow up on this and prove once and for all what an arrogant roid-head Bonds really is.

Figrin D'an
Oct 17th, 2004, 01:50:12 PM
He'll never admit to it... he wants the all-time HR record more than anything, and he won't admit to something that would nullify that accomplishment.

I really wanted to give some of these guy the benefit of the doubt, but at this point, it's hard for me not to think that most of the big HR hitters in recent years... Bonds, Sosa, McGuire, etc... have all been on the roids at some point. It's sad, because they're dragging baseball down even further, and like you said McBain, Selig isn't doing squat to about it either.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 17th, 2004, 07:21:47 PM
Here we are in Game 3 of the Red Sox-Yankees -- people have waited for this all year -- Cardinals and Houston, and what are we sitting here and talking about?" Selig said. "This is not good for the sport. This is not good for any of the parties involved, and, of course, I include the fans."

Am I right in thinking Selig just missed the point rather badly?

The biggest problem right now was shown by BALCO - it's impossible for the dope testers to find the new drugs and that drug cheating is ingrained in the sports. What can anyone really do? The only way THG was found was an insider providing a sample. Too much money, too much endorsments, too much tempation.

Charley
Oct 17th, 2004, 07:26:04 PM
Excellent. Shoot him.

jjwr
Oct 18th, 2004, 06:20:02 AM
They need year the round testing, the way it works is they can roids up during the off-season while they train and then cut it off in time for the season to start so their system is clear of them.

Right now Bonds is baseballs huge selling point as he closes in on that record, it would take a lot for Selig to put his foot down.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 18th, 2004, 10:40:42 AM
Unfortuently the darn union is in the way they won't allow it. This is another reason the owners should have used replacement players back in 95 and destroyed their union.

jjwr
Oct 18th, 2004, 11:11:10 AM
Agreed, the Owners didn't have a backbone then and they don't now. This most recent agreement needed to have tighter controls but the owners were too afraid of the lock-out. Just do it, take the hit and make the game right.

Its not like in the NHL where the players can go elsewhere and still get great games & solid paydays in. What option do the baseball players have?

CMJ
Oct 18th, 2004, 11:41:14 AM
Selig would never have been forgiven for ending Ripken Jr.'s streak though. I actually think that was a big reason scabs were never used.

JMK
Oct 18th, 2004, 12:01:23 PM
That's also a shame. Selig has said many times that no one person is bigger than the game. Sure it would have sucked to break Cal's streak, but that's the way life is sometimes.

Charley
Oct 18th, 2004, 10:02:11 PM
No seriously. Shoot him.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 18th, 2004, 10:23:38 PM
That streak was meaningless honestly they should have just buckled in and took the hit like the NFL did back in 87. But I guess that is water over the dam now.

Figrin D'an
Oct 18th, 2004, 10:35:06 PM
I'm glad that the Selig family doesn't own the Brewers anymore. Even though I am a Cubs fan, I was all but jumping for joy when it was annouced that they had sold the team. Granted, I don't think Selig should be commissioner either, but at least a major conflict of interest is gone now. Many people, including me, won't be able to forgiven him for the way he blackmailed the state into instituting the sales tax hike to fund the building of Miller Park.

I have to agree with Carr. Despite things like Ripken's streak, the owners should have stuck to their guns and broken the players union.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 18th, 2004, 11:22:11 PM
Well they weren't united. Owners like Steinbrenner didn't care and would rather be playing. They weren't as strong as the NFL owners that is why the NFL is the league that is the best shape.

Figrin D'an
Oct 18th, 2004, 11:36:22 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Well they weren't united. Owners like Steinbrenner didn't care and would rather be playing. They weren't as strong as the NFL owners that is why the NFL is the league that is the best shape.

Yet another reason to despise the Yankees.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 18th, 2004, 11:39:44 PM
Yeah Steinbrenner was against the lockout and he is against any salary cap pretty much.

Jedieb
Oct 30th, 2004, 07:45:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1912471

You know, at some point you have to wonder if Bonds is going to be a man and just admit it.

darth_mcbain
Oct 31st, 2004, 12:47:43 PM
I hope he will at some point, but I doubt it will ever happen. He's too much of an ego-maniac and he wants the HR record - why would he ever come forward.

Barry, whether you admit it or not, and whether or not they prove it or not, you're not the home run king in my book. For me, Aaron's record stands until someone breaks it fair and square.

Jedieb
Oct 31st, 2004, 03:17:09 PM
I told Court this the other day, Marris had to wrongly suffer the indignity of an asterik next to his record. Bonds should have a little syringe next to all of his HR records.

darth_mcbain
Oct 31st, 2004, 03:40:34 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
I told Court this the other day, Marris had to wrongly suffer the indignity of an asterik next to his record. Bonds should have a little syringe next to all of his HR records.

LOL - but absolutely true... :lol

JMK
Nov 1st, 2004, 07:55:33 AM
It is true, but MLB has to suffer some blame for this debacle too. If they would only get some balls and bring in REAL rules against steroids and other performance enhancers then this wouldn't happen. Instead they know that home runs bring in fans and dollars, so until they find a way to replace that money they aren't going to do anything significant about it, no matter how much Selig says he wants to enforce it.