PDA

View Full Version : Virus thingy....

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Oct 16th, 2004, 12:57:46 AM
well I was running Norton virus scan and eventually I get this file coming up: egdial.dll

I tried its delete option within the scanner but it said delete failed, tried another scan and no dice again...

I had my dad look into it but he's wary about doing anything with it so I'm quite worried about it since apparently it uses your computer to pay for sites another person uses....:\

Figrin D'an
Oct 16th, 2004, 08:27:49 AM
Look it up on Norton's site and see if there is a removal tool for it. That's probably your best bet.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 16th, 2004, 10:01:59 AM
Boot into safe mode and run the scanner there. Hit F8 once a second when the computer turns on and it will give you an option for safe mode.

Slayn Cloak
Oct 16th, 2004, 02:49:10 PM
What about the file being in use? If it's runing as a proceses you won't be able to delet it right? I had something like that and had to cntri alt delet and end the proceses before avg would delet it. what do you guys think?

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Oct 16th, 2004, 03:43:53 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Look it up on Norton's site and see if there is a removal tool for it. That's probably your best bet.

dad looked at that but apparently it doesn't work well enough to risk it....

but I will tell him to try the safe mode way....

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Oct 17th, 2004, 07:49:59 PM
safe mode did nothing and the site suggestions involve editting the registry which neither I nor dad feel comfortable doing....:x

Figrin D'an
Oct 17th, 2004, 09:06:45 PM
Well, if neither you or your dad are comfortable with editing the registry, the only thing I can recommend is finding someone who is. I've dug around, and the solution shown on the Symantec (Norton) website is the only viable solution I can find. Just follow the instructions they provide, and you should be able to get rid of it.

As for the registry, make a backup of it before you edit it, just in case (you can do this from the menu in the Registry Editor), and just double check each step before proceeding.

I know editing the registry scares people, but sometimes, it's the only way to remove junk like this.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:06:10 PM
I suppose but as far as I can tell, it isn't a real threat, doesn't even seem to be a real virus even.....

Figrin D'an
Oct 18th, 2004, 09:31:57 PM
Originally posted by Sorreessa Tarrineezi
I suppose but as far as I can tell, it isn't a real threat, doesn't even seem to be a real virus even.....

It is a low priority threat, if that's what you mean, but it would still be preferable to get rid of it. Letting that stuff linger generally isn't a good idea.

But, it's your call.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Oct 18th, 2004, 10:30:50 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
It is a low priority threat, if that's what you mean, but it would still be preferable to get rid of it. Letting that stuff linger generally isn't a good idea.

But, it's your call.

well given we don't know any people who are good with computers, probably best to leave it be, it doesn't seem to actually do anything without a dial-up....

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 19th, 2004, 08:30:40 AM
Just as an aside, is it just me, or are viruses and spyware picking up in maliciousness and technical skill lately? seems to me I've seen a few actually well written beasties that are genuinely hard to kill. I saw a version of ConnectTheWeb that acted more like a boot sector virus than spyware yesterday. it also mauled Windows in such a way that any site with a password in IE came up unresolved, as well as disabling AV and Ad-aware.

Also, trojan MP3's.

User : This music file wont openplay, can you look at it?

Me : sure..... * click * why is IE opening... AW F......! PANIC!

After cleanup...

Me : where did you get that file from?

User : Downloaded from Kazaa......

Me : * SLAP *

The trojan MP3 was well done too. Obviously no longer just bored kids anymore.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 19th, 2004, 09:07:22 AM
Its not just you. I noticed that as well. Its getting a lot worse. A decent antivirus software, firewall and spyware detection tool is a must, even more so than what used to be the case. But whats even more important is having some common sense in what you download and run on your computer. That comes with experience. It needs to be said, anyone who still use Kazaa these days needs a good force frying pan. Not only are there far better alternatives out there in terms of file ability and quality, but using Kazaa is like asking to clog down your system and possibly risk being forced to format your system in the future because of the extraordinary amount of malicious files.

:: hands frying pan to Marcus to whack the kazaa users ::

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Oct 19th, 2004, 09:22:22 PM
I don't use Kaaza or anything of the sort, I think I may have poked too near some idiot's link in a sig on Gaia, they like to hide things in there....

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 20th, 2004, 06:58:08 AM
Are you still using IE? Then you get what you deserve. The warnings have been out for so long, I would expect anyone here to have switched by now. No excuse acceptible in continued IE use.

Actually Yog, I'm not sure what you said is sufficent enough. Two machines in 24 hours with signifigant damage from what appears to be a new spyware or trojan. Real nasty - takes out all the regular files you need to fix an infection, as well as the process list. Seems to also be some sort of proxy filter that also murders IE. Adaware and spybot arent really effective in cleaning up as yet. Dont think it's MyDoom.AE, could be some barstardised mix of CTW and a traditional virus. SP2 is totally ineffective in stopping it. Whomever designed this one did a good job. Firefox is completely unaffected, so I presume this new thing cant get past Firefox.

Lion El' Jonson
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:42:03 PM
I've been using Firefox for 8 months straight now. I have to use IE perhaps once a month.

The Score
Firefox, used continuously for 8 months: No spyware
IE, used perhaps 10 times: Four toolbars, a homepage redirect, more spyware than I can shake a stick at, and so many popups I want to claw my eyes out. :lol

Incidentally, I use eMule and ABC if I need some files. They work, and as long as you're not stingy about uploading things to other users, there aren't long waits.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:45:53 PM
Yeah, using IE on a regular basis is just as bad as not having a virus scanner.

Lion El' Jonson
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:48:33 PM
It's sad, though, that we have to be so paranoid in the first place about these stupid things. I remember the late 90's, when nobody knew nor cared about spyware, and I didn't have to hear about Viruses or the RIAA.

EDIT: Then again, back then I was also 9...:lol

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:54:10 PM
nope, no more IE after this.....

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Oct 21st, 2004, 01:25:19 AM
I just had the bloodhound virus (not sure which one youre talking about) and Marcus helped me with a link :)

Soraya Taveres
Oct 25th, 2004, 01:34:16 PM
i don't have any sort of antivirus program, i still use internet explorer, i have no firewall, and the only form of protection my computer has is in teh form of ad-aware.

:D i rule.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 25th, 2004, 02:42:33 PM
More like suicidal.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 25th, 2004, 05:24:01 PM
Originally posted by Soraya Taveres
i don't have any sort of antivirus program, i still use internet explorer, i have no firewall, and the only form of protection my computer has is in teh form of ad-aware.

:D i rule.

I call BS.

Alpha
Oct 25th, 2004, 09:18:32 PM
If your comp is not a smoking ruin of what it oince was, then you have to be lying through your teeth.

Figrin D'an
Oct 25th, 2004, 09:31:16 PM

That's pretty much the computer equivalent of having unprotected sex with multiple partners, all of whom are known to have STDs. It's dangerous, and incredibly stupid. Quite the opposite of "I rule."

In short, keep that machine away from mine.

Soraya Taveres
Oct 26th, 2004, 12:09:21 PM
:(

you people are mean. you ruined my moment.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 26th, 2004, 04:10:28 PM
:(

you people are mean. you ruined my moment.

Then dont go posting YAY ME! when doing something completely stupid.

imported_Firebird1
Oct 26th, 2004, 10:47:43 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Telcontar
Then dont go posting YAY ME! when doing something completely stupid.

And so we have now learned what not to say to a computer geek....