PDA

View Full Version : Farewell, son of Krypton

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:50:18 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=101123&page=1

God bless and may you rest in peace, Sir. You will be missed :\ :(

Ishan Shade
Oct 11th, 2004, 09:50:17 AM
I didn't hear about this until now...a shame.

He will be missed.

imported_Grev Drasen
Oct 11th, 2004, 10:37:17 AM
Rodney and Superman in the same month? :(

Crystal
Oct 11th, 2004, 11:48:29 AM
Wow. I didn't realize he was 52.. He never walked again did he? :(

Oriadin
Oct 11th, 2004, 12:18:55 PM
Christopher Reeve was a super-man in every sense. His drive to never give up and his will to keep going against all odds had even the most sceptical person if not beliving, then hoping above all hope that he would walk again.

He has been a real hero for many many people and the world is a lesser place without him. Wherever he is now, im sure he will live long in the memory of everyone who knew him, and saw him. My thoughts go out to his family who have always been there to support him.

imported_Grev Drasen
Oct 11th, 2004, 12:21:48 PM
Originally posted by Crystal
Wow. I didn't realize he was 52.. He never walked again did he? :( Nope, but if people could just get over things like stem cell research there might be hope for other people in his situation.

Brian
Oct 11th, 2004, 04:04:10 PM
*moment of silence*

Zasz Grimm
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:29:02 PM
Originally posted by Grev Drasen
Nope, but if people could just get over things like stem cell research there might be hope for other people in his situation.

Truth.

I was actually stunned when I saw that pop up on MSN today. I mean I was like staring at it for a few seconds. That's sad. He will be missed.

Kes'La Bardo
Oct 11th, 2004, 08:31:02 PM
"Well, I'll miss him, he was awesome. I too, grew up with him as a hero. He will forever be a hero in my eyes...

Rest in peace, Superman, you've earned it!!!

Droo
Oct 11th, 2004, 08:45:59 PM
Originally posted by Slayn Cloak

I wont miss him in the least; I hated the SM movies. All of them. I never saw him in any other role, or good film for that matter.

Look mommy! Am I being controversial yet?

Eowiodith Unadrieniel
Oct 11th, 2004, 09:07:50 PM
So, who else poured over the Superman comics and shows and movies? I know that I did, I love Superman, even more than Spider-Man and the Marvel superheros. Christopher was a really good looking man, even when he was stuck in a wheelchair at 52 years old he looked good. He was a good man, and even though he was physically impaired, he was still a people man. (Meaning that he didn't retire from the public.) Yes, I admired him. You all should read the book he wrote, it's really good, and when I can remember the name of it I'll put it in here.

http://www.sergioleone.net/ds-5.jpg http://www.uthscsa.edu/hscnews/archive/Reeve_TOP.jpg

Mitch
Oct 11th, 2004, 09:20:34 PM
... http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=creeve

I wont miss him in the least; I hated the SM movies. All of them. I never saw him in any other role, or good film for that matter.

Dood why don't u b hatin' on Steven Hawking? I mean, that guy's been a cripple for way longer, and you don't see him fighting it, or tryin' to convince other cripples to walk again, and be useful members of society? Heck, he doesn't even help others with speech therapy, all he does is write math books, which you probably hate because you hate math, and you must hate him because he's never cared about walking people and won't until he becomes one!

Geez, just shut your yap about Reeve, Slayn. When was the last time you helped someone in a wheelchair? When was the last time you donated money to cancer research, or helped fight aids, or tought someone to sing on-key, or made a blind person see again? You haven't, but you sure as hell would try to help if any of those things happened to you, now wouldn't you?

When most people suffer horrible accidents that leave them permenantly crippled or otherwise impaired, they retreat to their homes, hiding from society and quite frankly do nothing for anybody. I know I wanted to when I was in a wheelchair after my car wreck. But Reeve wanted to do something. He wasn't jsut going to take it, and, like me, he thought of ways to help. Now I couldn't actually implement any of my ideas, for I had no funding or money to do it, but he did, and he used it. He raised more money for others than you ever will, and did a world of good for both kids and adults who are paralyzed, amputees, or suffer from other disabilities. Sure, the Superman movies might not have been great, but Christopher Reeve rose to the challenge he was dealt, and you have no right to slander him for that.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 11th, 2004, 09:36:15 PM
... http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=creeve

Reeves proved he had real courage and strength to fight his paralysis, rather than sit there and rot. THAT's what he should be remembered for.

Maddox is a patheetic troll. What a waste of bandwidth.

Cyrel Annat
Oct 11th, 2004, 09:53:33 PM
Yeah, I got through about two paragraphs of that pompous idiot before I simply closed the window again. As was stated by both Marcus and Mitch, it's not the movies that most people will remember Christopher Reeve for, but the fact that when the deck was stacked against him, he kept playing and fighting.

As far as the eloquent < /sarcasm> Maddox wrote in regards to Christopher Reeve's work with paralysis before the accident, most people don't really grasp the severity of these situations until they are faced with them head-on. And the fact that Mr. Reeve's aid to such foundations did not start until after his accident. Who bloody cares!?! What does it matter when he started it? What does matter is the fact that he did start it, and the hope and help it has brought to many, many people. And turther, who says that he didn't make any donations before he became paralyzed? Countless celebrities make anonymous donations to charities and foundations all the time. They don't need it known that they made the donations. They know that they did it. They want to do good, but have the focus on the charity rather than themselves. When he became paralyzed, he used his celebrity status to further enlighten people to the already existing problem. Where's the harm in that?? He did not do it for personal gain or for selfish reasons. Last I checked, giving out money was not selfish.

The legacy - yes, legacy - of Christopher Reeve will not be for the Superman movies which by their dates of release destined them to be looked upon as cheesy, but rather for courage, strength, integrity and the fact that he gave hope to many people that may have otherwise found none. The simple fact that anyone could slander a man in such a way sickens me and again takes a few notches away from my respect and belief in humanity.

Syren Wyssholt
Oct 13th, 2004, 06:17:03 PM
Hey,that wasn't my site; but you have to admit he makes a good arguement. Also, I don't even like super man as a hero, so yeah. Has Hawkin done anything for cripples?

According to his website, no, he has not. Stephen Hawking (http://www.hawking.org.uk/home/hindex.html) However, that does not mean that the man has not earned the respect that he receives.

Just because you don't like Superman as a hero doesn't give you the right to disrespect the actor whom played him. I have to say that your remarks in this thread have been among the most disgusting and dispicable comments I have ever heard. Aside from his celebrity status, he was a person - a human being. Do you have any sympathy for others in the world? He was a husband, a father, a son, a role model to millions. You never heard anything bad about him in the news and he used his money and status to bring attention and recognition to a condition that most tend to turn their heads away from.

As was asked before - who are you to say that Christopher Reeves didn't do anything for a charity - for parapalegics or other organizations - before his accident? Did you know the man personally? Are you privvy to his personal finances and donations?

They say that those who state things such as that Maddox did, do it out of fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of becoming just like the very thing they fear the most.

I pity you, Slayn Cloak. I pity you for having the ability to be so cold and so callous towards another human being. If I were you, I'd be praying that karma doesn't exist - what goes around, comes around and when it comes back around to you - its worst by ten fold.

So while you're busy pondering what Christopher Reeves has done for parapalegics before his accident, and what Stephen Hawking has done for those with Lou Gherig's disease, I'm wondering ..

When is the last time that you ever did anything for a cripple?

Droo
Oct 13th, 2004, 06:17:37 PM
He doesn't make a good argument, he is, like Marcus said, a pathetic troll.

Khendon Sevon
Oct 13th, 2004, 06:40:25 PM
Every single time I see this thread's title I see "Farewell, son of Khendon"

Must be the whole starting with a k and ending in an n thing.

I miss the old superman movies....

Droo
Oct 13th, 2004, 09:10:15 PM
There aren't the words...

Hands washed.

Syren Wyssholt
Oct 13th, 2004, 09:18:24 PM
To shut you up for the last time, someone at work showed me that, and I happen to find it incredibly amusing. I highly doubt any of you knew this guy while he was alive, I definatly didn't; as far as carring aboutpeople based on the fact that they're human- pfff! People are bad, more often then anything else. So no, until I know someone personally, I don't care about them at all.

First, no one has said that YOU are the one who created that site. However, it was pretty dispicable of you to even post a link to something like that.

Second, all I can really say is you make yourself out to be a sad little person. No, in general, people are not bad more often than not. More often than not they are good and have good intentions. And yes, it takes a lot for me to even state that because I am a pretty jaded person, as well.

You live in a large city and help people in wheelchairs all the time? Wow. You help them on the bus or to what, cross the street? Giving people who are lost directions to the street or address or freeway they're looking for is a nice thing, however, it's not one of those things that's going to change a persons life for the better. Amazing. You should win a humanitarian award for having to go out of your way. Sorry, but the way you worded that made it sound like it was chore for you to help someone.

Have you spent a day with any of these people that you've helped? Have you befriended them? Have you gotten to know them as a person?

In my opinion, you really have no leg to stand on with the can of worms you've opened up by posting that link and for the callous words you stated about a persons death. I hope and pray that many, many years from now when its your time to pass on, no one says that about you.

As I said before, I pity you. Perhaps one day someone will show you an ounce of kindness that will change your opinion of the human race as a whole. Actually - I hope someone does that for you.

(I won't comment on the whole crackpot religion thing you mentioned. As a rule, religion isn't something that should be discussed on the forums. Leads to too much trouble. )

I've cared for a severely mentally and physically handicapped person for most of my life. He cannot take care of himself nor will he ever be able to care for himself.

He cannot speak, he cannot see too well and he cannot hear; but I'll tell you this - he has taught me more about humanity and being human than anyone else in my life. Amazing feat for a person who can't do much of anything, to be able to teach another a very valuable lesson in life.

Why do you put yourself down by stating you're stupid and can't spell? So, you were in a hurry to post and didn't have time to use the spell-checker. Big deal. There are people who take their time posting and still don't use the spell checker :)

imported_Eve
Oct 13th, 2004, 09:35:05 PM
Consider this thread warned:

Please be RESPECTFUL to the thread's purpose, stop arguing, or this thread shall be closed. And Slayn, I suggest your comments in this thread cease. Your opinion is known, but it doesn't quite go along with the thread's main purpose. Thanks.

Slayn Cloak
Oct 14th, 2004, 10:54:05 AM
I'm sorry that I was in appropriate, and/or disrespectful. I just think that any of you, or person period, in his situation would have acted exactly the same. I don't see that as a reason to garner praise or respect; it's just out rite responsible. Also, I don't belive that any of you knew him, and can't see why you'd feel this way just because of some movies? Well, not even that, but because he was a celebrity, I'm sure anyone in the world could point at a picture of him and say super-man. Never the less, people like him die everyday, can we have a thread about timothy leary having passed?

Ok, so seriously, I personally apologies to any of you whom I've offended, and to the memory of Christopher reeves.

Shawn
Oct 14th, 2004, 10:59:52 AM
Hint: When a Mod/Admin asks you to stop posting, don't try to get the last word in.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Oct 14th, 2004, 04:41:31 PM
This is the second thread I've started that has gotten warned :(

Now. To clarify, this thread was made to let people know about the death of not only a man, but someone who, after his accident, decided to use his assets in probably one of the most selfless way possible. He funded the advanced studies of new ways to battle spinal chord injuries, and founded the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation.

That the man was Superman is not relevant to why this thread was started. We didn't need to personally know him; his work and contributions to those with spinal chord injuries spoke volumes in and of itself.

In my experience, an "I'm sorry, but... " is not an apology.

Obviously there are some who do not understand why I made the thread, and why so many people are upset.

Mods/Admins, I ask that you close the thread.