PDA

View Full Version : NR Special Forces discussion

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 11th, 2004, 06:54:46 AM
I thought we could throw this one open and hear suggestions.

The NRSF was a good idea. It proved successful, to the point it's still the best remembered SF unit. But that was because of the people behind it and in it.

However.... it's not exactly in use now, is it?

So, to kick off discussion, do we want to bring it back, or go somethign new? Do we want this to have the high tech and cutting edge weaponry that brings fear to the enemy, or more conventional? Is it small, or a larger unit? who leads? what's it's structure?

floor's open

Lion El' Jonson
Oct 11th, 2004, 09:01:54 AM
Oh boy...I can tell this is going to be a long discussion. :lol

While I have some ideas, it's 11:00 PM right now, and I've got an English Project to wrap up. Tomorrow I'll throw some stuff out. Still, I'm certainly not adverse to kick-starting the NRSF.

Redic Scott
Oct 11th, 2004, 01:02:52 PM
I think we should keep what we had and finish what we started. we are upgrading the ships anyways and forming new units. We should have a limited number of high tech ships supporting a much larger number of less advanced ships, but ones that can still get the job done. Over time more and more old ships can be retired and replaced by new ones.

I also think the fleet should be large since we have a lot of territor to cover.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 12th, 2004, 06:21:28 AM
This aint got anythign to do with the fleet I might add. It's only about the NR elite unit.

I had an idea. If you seen Clone Wars cartoon, you will have seen General Grievious, who is capable on beating the livng shit out of Jedi. Why not a Cyborg type leader like Greivious? a seriously damage inducing machine / being, with a group of bad ass soldiers? Or... even a full unit of cyborgs.

Anyway, cyborg warriors are something legal and IMO, very deadly, if expensive. In some ways, it's somethign I was thinking along the lines with Tohmahawk - for Bestine he has a group of what I call TRG droids. Only a handful, and I was thinking hampered speed wise. After seeing Greivious, I know I wasnt thinking SW enough - the technology to make a droid fast exists. Highly expensive, super rare I grant. So any cyborgs would have to be almost unique.

Redic Scott
Oct 12th, 2004, 03:04:04 PM
I understand now, when you put NRSF I thought you ment New Republic Space Force. But yeah, what your talking about should be a small unit with all new, badass ships. Perhaps we can take the bothan tech and automate a great deal of the ships and have a force a really well trained person that can strike anywhere at any time.

The idea of cyborgs is sweet, but with the new exo suits I created, we can use living soldiers. The suits make people much stonger and faster, but with these super trained units, we can take away some of that bulky armor and add a lot more speed to the soldier, giving them dodging ability instead of just sitting there and taking the hit. Portible shield projectors on the wrists could also keep them safe.

However, if you wish to creat and control such a unit, it should be to your liking and customized.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 27th, 2004, 07:15:37 PM
If you want the NRSF to be RPed, you're going to have to corral Nathan West (Morgan) and Capt. Tyle (Charley) and get them to do something with it. Use it, or give it to someone else to use.

edit: and CYBORGS?! wtf no no NO. Portable personal shields: expensive and not likely to be used by the military. Exo suits that make people stronger and faster? NO no NO. Large automated ships for one person? ack NO.

The NRSF is similar to the Army Rangers, or the Navy Seals. NOT to bionic one man tanks or anything of the sort.

edit edit: IMO, of course.

Lion El' Jonson
Oct 28th, 2004, 05:26:19 AM
Mmm, I partially concur, except with the thing regarding personal shielding...systems like that are quite common and cost-effective; the only problem with them is that they generate a distinctive noise, and thus are rather useless for stealth operations.

And DARPA is currently testing an exoskeleton that will allow a single soldier to carry thousands of pounds and run at speeds exceeding 20 miles per hour. Once again, there's the issue of stealth. :lol

James Prent
Oct 28th, 2004, 04:16:36 PM
:p I still don't like it. But that's just me.

Pierce Tondry
Oct 29th, 2004, 05:35:04 PM
See also: Droideka shield generators for further examples.

Telan Desaria
Oct 29th, 2004, 11:33:10 PM
The Empire has solved the problem of mobility and armor by mounting approximately one company per battalion of standard infantry (more in grenadier units) in AT-PTs. While they are newer and more efficient than their predecessor models, it gives the company the agility and firewpoer of an entire battalion in and of itself. We can IC support it due to our ownership of the factory world of Eriadu - - - you definitely can do something of the similar sort given your hold over Kuat, Fondor, et al.

TieFighterPilot181st
Nov 8th, 2004, 06:39:39 PM
we have Kuat?

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 9th, 2004, 04:39:56 AM
Certainly. We have almost all of the major shipbuilding worlds, with the exception of Yaga Minor (Sovereignity possession) and the Corellian Staryards (TSO possession).

I believe that the backstory holds that we liberated Kuat. The real story involves an extremely large NR fleet dealing with the 20-odd ImpStar Deuces that were living there. :lol

TieFighterPilot181st
Nov 9th, 2004, 10:45:58 AM
that must have been quite fun. The firepower of 20 Impstar Dueces is not something regarded lightly.

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 10th, 2004, 06:03:49 AM
The firepower of Admiral Ackbar's 1st Fleet is not something to be regarded lightly either. :lol

Telan Desaria
Nov 11th, 2004, 11:00:41 AM
Actually - - - we control the Corellian shipyards. They have Corellia, we defend it and are allowed to use the yards, hence our large IC fact supported resources.

Dont forget, Bilbringi, Metz, Sluis Van, Trebizond *ours*, Thyferra *ours*(one small yard), et al.

TieFighterPilot181st
Nov 11th, 2004, 11:04:25 PM
does anyone use Sluis Van anymore, because i don't ever hear any mention of it.

Telan Desaria
Nov 12th, 2004, 01:38:53 PM
Yes - - the Solaarian Confederation owns it - - its an npc state we are currently in the process of conquering so we can have it.

TieFighterPilot181st
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:14:52 PM
alrighty then. The NR still owns Fondor right?

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 13th, 2004, 09:23:39 AM
The NR has most of the major staryards that are mentioned in the EU, the Sovereignity's major holdings include Bilbringi, Corellia (apparently), and Yaga Minor. If this war ever gets going, it might be worth staging a hit-and-run against one of the minor shipbuilding or staging bases, like Thrawn's strike at Sluin Van.

Telan Desaria
Nov 14th, 2004, 01:15:31 AM
The Balmorran Empire - 0 which I believe is npced now, has Bilbringi. We have Yaga Minor, Corellia, and Trebizond as our major bases. Trebizond, however, is hidden in Wild Space.

Tear
Nov 14th, 2004, 05:33:09 AM
Choosing our words carefully I wouldnt say we "Control" the Corellian shipyards in any sense. The Sith control them.

However, I think we can list them under our shipyard resources since they do build for us and we provide protection.

Telan Desaria
Nov 15th, 2004, 09:49:41 AM
Oh no - -we dont control the planet by any means. But we have an historic alliance with the Sith and in exchange for dealing with the NR military so they can destroy the Jedi, we get use of their yards. We control the shipyards and defend Corellia 12 Golan X Space Defense Platforms anf 4 Heavy Destroyer Squadrons - - but do not control the system itself.

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:18:07 AM
Ah!!!! 12 Golan X's?!?!?!

During the war with Grand Admiral Thrawn, six ImpStar Mk.II's, two VicStars, and their attendent support vessels engaged one Golan III, and they still weren't able to kill it. Combined with those Heavy Destroyer Squadrons, you must be able to set up one heck of a crossfire, Telan. :lol

Telan Desaria
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:05:48 PM
Exactly. Thrawn the Great was fifty years before our times, as was the Battles of Sluis Van, Coruscant and Bilbringi of the former's fame.

Yes- - -Corellia means a great deal since it is once of the three largest shipyards in the galaxy and we have access to it. That is why when we bring considerable forces to bear or engaged in several subplot rps people cannot say (you dont have enough ships for that.) We just point to the map and say Corellia.

The Heavy Destroyer Squadrons muster about four ISD IIIs IVs and Vs apiece. The command station is the Petropavlovsk. Th Golan X is of course the up to date battlestation, mounting heavy turbolaser cannon, th phalanx anti fighter system, and a proton warhead launcher battery - - warheads being slower and wholly unmaneuverable but five times more powerful than the torpedo.

Tp eb totally honest, if the Central Sector Fleet were discounted, Corellia is more heavily defended than Thyferra - - - but not by much. There are six Golans above Thyferra, plus the pkanetary turbolaser network as well as the other defense platforms - - fifty. (much smaller and mounting only heavy turbolasers.)

TieFighterPilot181st
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:53:22 PM
thats a lot of firepower in one place. Does the NR have any worlds like that besides Coruscant?

Telan Desaria
Nov 16th, 2004, 07:25:53 PM
We IC support it with all of our supplimentary rps building up our population, building our fleet, building and repairs yards, training our army.

We dont just say - -hey, we have fleets a b and c here. We rp it.

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:03:57 AM
Telan: Very impressive. I'd like to get something like that going with the NR...permanent bases for the primary fleets, and such.

Tie: Technically not at the moment...some worlds are more heavily defended than others, but there is nothing on the scale of Corellia besides Coruscant. However, after our initial offensive against Bestine is repelled, Lion is going to draft a bill calling for heavily increasing the number and quality of the defenses and the fleets in the New Republic. Right now, we're (very much) numerically superior to the Sovereignity; however, we do not have the advantage of being able to concentrate our fleets as much as they can. This new bill should change that, deploying new fleets and facilities along the border and reinforcing the defenses above the major planets there.

Alexi Hesith
Nov 17th, 2004, 03:40:55 AM
If you want help with that, let me know.

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:26:44 AM
As soon as we get there, I'd appreciate it. :lol

Telan Desaria
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:31:00 AM
We can concentrate several fleets. Corellia, Trebizond, Thyferra, and Yaga Minor have been amss producing warships for 2 yrs, 4 yrs, 5 yrs, and 2 yrs respectively.

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:36:49 AM
Yes, you've been rather more...devoted...to your forces than I have for a much longer time. I'm going to set myself up so that everytime I try to go to sleep, I get shocked. I figure a couple months without sleep will be sufficient to catch up with the Sovereignity. :lol

TieFighterPilot181st
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:02:57 PM
yeah, we should IC support our stuff a bit more. I'll start that once i stop getting tired from school.

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 18th, 2004, 02:51:37 AM
Cool. How's Honors Precalculus/Calculus going for you, Tie?

Telan Desaria
Nov 18th, 2004, 01:52:10 PM
I remember my maths. I was rather.....rotten in calculus but was the star of trigonometry.

TieFighterPilot181st
Nov 19th, 2004, 06:08:55 PM
Imagine an old man beating the crap out of me with a stick. Thats Calculus.

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 20th, 2004, 12:17:40 AM
Mmmmm.

How big is the stick? ^_^;

Telan Desaria
Nov 20th, 2004, 01:24:17 AM
The stick is tan(cos60 - sin30) x 2. That is how long the stick is.

Now, t find out how much force, we take velocity.....

*Grand Admiral Desaria commences shooting those who begin to yawn*

TieFighterPilot181st
Nov 20th, 2004, 01:35:53 AM
make it a stick with sharp jagged pieces of metal embedded in it too.

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 20th, 2004, 04:15:58 AM
What type of metal? Titanium? Industrial-diamond coating?

TieFighterPilot181st
Nov 20th, 2004, 07:01:42 PM
lets just say it would be impervious to proton torpedoes.

Devon Russels
Nov 20th, 2004, 07:12:15 PM
Yea

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 22nd, 2004, 03:18:53 AM
*Wince* ^_^;

That bad, eh?

Devon Russels
Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:37:48 PM
Haha.