PDA

View Full Version : Christopher Reeve Dies

imported_Eve
Oct 11th, 2004, 05:31:12 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6223386/

When someone refers to Superman how can you not think of his face? What a life story.

Charley
Oct 11th, 2004, 05:46:51 AM
Maybe it's my cathartic nature to laugh about these things, but all I can think about is that episode of South Park where he kept drinking stem cells to become Evil Superman.

Droo
Oct 11th, 2004, 06:50:02 AM
This news has actually upset me quite a lot, Superman as portrayed by Christopher Reeve was a large part of my childhood and like Eve said he was the Man of Steel for me. Hearing this news is almost as if a piece of that childhood has gone with him.

He was a great man, enduring regardless of such a disabilitating condition to fight for a noble cause. He will be sorely missed.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:03:05 AM
9 years fighting like he did after the accident proves he had true steel in him. He should have died in 95, but he just plain didnt give up. You know, that's really something to be remembered. The the sheer foce of will to never give up.

So many bitch and whine over tiny things, but he just plain didnt give up. Admirable totaly.

Vampyre Dalamar
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:07:51 AM
I loved him in the somewhere in time Movie and am truly sorry to hear that he has passed away. I don't know, but there always seemed to be something noble about him that made him such a great superman in life and the movie. I hope his family does well thru this time because he was liked by many....

Jinn Fizz
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:48:17 AM
This was a lousy way to start a Monday morning, hearing this news. It's heartbreaking.

I loved him as Superman and in Somewhere In Time as well, but I truly grew to admire him as a human being after his accident. What an awesome person, in the truest sense of the word.

Spinal cord research and awareness would not be where it is today without his input and his activism...hopefully his wife and his foundation will carry on his work just as fiercely as he did.

RIP, Chris, you will be missed.... :cry

darth_mcbain
Oct 11th, 2004, 08:34:43 AM
I saw this early this morning - what a shame. A lot of you have echoed my sentiments exactly - he was superman. Not only did he define the role that I enjoyed so much as a kid, but as a human being as well - his perseverence was such an inspiration. So Long, Christopher - we miss ya...

Master Yoghurt
Oct 11th, 2004, 08:45:08 AM
I will always remember him fondly as Superman, but what made him even more remarkable for me was his amazing willpower to go on after becoming paralysed. That "never give up" spirit no matter the odds and impossible circumstances. His fight to gain ability to walk again was an inspiration for people all over the world.

AmazonBabe
Oct 11th, 2004, 09:40:52 AM
I heard about this on my way in to work this morning. My jaw involuntarily dropped when I heard the newscaster over the radio announce that Chrispher Reeves, the Man of Steel, dead at 52.

I'm not usually shocked easily, but this one really surprised me, probably for most of the reasons Dru mentioned above.

May he rest in peace.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2004, 09:54:45 AM
This is shocking and sad. I agree with the rest of you the fact that he didn't give up is very admirable and amazing. I am sad that his dream never came true that he wasn't able to walk again. It is very sad to see him go.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 11th, 2004, 10:02:00 AM
:( very sad... and a ditto to most of what everyone has said.

Brian
Oct 11th, 2004, 04:10:36 PM
*another moment of silence*

Jedieb
Oct 11th, 2004, 06:35:59 PM
It was errie to see him mentioned in the debate Friday night and then suddenly learn of his death today. I always believed we'd actually get to see him continue to improve and maybe even stand one day. He'd made incredible progress and had actually regained sensation in certain parts of his body. He was done in by an infection that developed from a pressure wound. He had every reason to quit, but never did. RIP Superman.

jjwr
Oct 12th, 2004, 06:09:29 AM
Agreed Jedieb, I remember thinking the same thing when I heard the news.

I really did expect him to walk again, as they said for the Superman tagline - You'll believe a Man can Fly, well I believe this man would walk again.

I won't lie, I really haven't seen him in anything but the Superman movies but to me he was Superman, from his boyish & innocent looks in the first ones he always fit the part.

Stern had a nice tribute to him on his show this morning, even kicked off part of the Superman theme and had some "quiet" time on his show, which overly common.

JMK
Oct 12th, 2004, 06:36:06 AM
When he said that he WAS going to walk again, I totally believed him. To hear of his death before he got the chance to walk again is really sad.

Vice
Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:11:58 PM
Even if people didnt like superman its always sad to see a loved
actor die.I wasnt a big fan but the news was dissapointing.