PDA

View Full Version : Windows sucks

Alex
Oct 5th, 2004, 10:23:33 AM
Specifically, Windows XP sucks. Aside from the self-destructive tendancies its been showing on my system (one of its files ended up corrupt, so it "fixed" itself, and ended up crashing out totally), it has a really stupid installation restriction. Even the FULL VERSION of Windows XP (as opposed to the upgrade) requires an existing operating system to install. At least, the disk I have which claims to be a full version requires that. The exact problem is that the setup disk can't run in DOS. Usually, that wouldn't be a problem. However:

1. Some idiot (me) installed XP on the other drive already, so Windows 98 doesn't believe I'm licenced to use Windows.

2. Some other idiot (my dad) keeps buying upgrades for everything, rather than full versions.

3. The other idiot (my dad) managed to loose the first 3.1 disk.

Consequently, I'm up chocolate creek without a popsickle stick. Unless I can convince the 98 disk that Windows XP is not some insanely screwed with thing, and is actually a version of Windows, or I can get Windows XP to install through DOS, I'm ever so slightly screwed on the computer front.

Anyone had this problem before, and knows what to do? Should XP be installing through DOS, or is it a design fault (I think the person who copied me the full version disk may only have the upgrade...that'd explain a lot)? What can I do?

Thanks guys.

Oh, and anyone I'm supposed to be RPing with...I probably won't be able to for a little bit. I'm borrowing my dad's PC, but if he weren't off exploring the wonders of the supermarket to find coffee, he'd be stood here breathing down my neck...kinda disrupts my creativity a bit. :\

TheHolo.Net
Oct 5th, 2004, 10:33:28 AM
Use the "Full version" of XP. Set your BIOS to boot from CD. Problem solved.

Alex
Oct 5th, 2004, 10:36:07 AM
I'm pretty sure I tried that. I'll give it another go. Thanks.

Edit:

Several hours of grunting and kicking the machine, and all it took was something simple. *sigh* Lol.

Why is installing software so boring?

*bounces files around his big empty hard drive* Wooo...echo...:\

imported_Grev Drasen
Oct 5th, 2004, 04:59:07 PM
Originally posted by Alex
Specifically, Windows XP sucks.
It does? I've been using it for a little over 3 years and it's one of the most reliable operating systems I've ever used. Who knew.

Alex
Oct 5th, 2004, 05:00:43 PM
When I upgraded to XP, it moved half of my files around, deleted a bunch of drivers, and decided that, when it developed an error, it'd fix itself by deleting a system file.

Guess that hasn't happened to you yet, huh?

Figrin D'an
Oct 5th, 2004, 05:57:57 PM
Your case is definitely the exception and not the rule.

Chances are, having a clean non-upgrade type of install will solve a lot of your problems.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 5th, 2004, 09:31:03 PM
^Windows has never upgraded very well.

http://server.panic.hopto.org/y/albums/userpics/10001/floppyaccident.gif

imported_Eve
Oct 6th, 2004, 05:39:31 AM
I did a Windows Update yesterday (SP2) and when I restarted the first three times, my task bar and icons did not load. I was freaking. I had to log on as a guest and then log on as admin before things started appearing.

I always have some issue with upgrades - yes. And it's always some freak solution that helps.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:49:30 PM
Eve, that's nto the first time I've seen that happen with an SP2 install. I've seen other issues too. I have to say install SP2 on a fresh install only until there's an "a" version of SP2. This is probably the worst service pack since SP6 on NT4. They did the "a" version fo that about a week later.

The other major point is that the express install should never be used wityh Service packs. Always go the Network Install route.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 6th, 2004, 06:30:54 PM
Sometimes doing them from safe mode helps too.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 6th, 2004, 08:50:46 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Sometimes doing them from safe mode helps too.

I've honestly never tried that unless I'm desperate and out of ideas on a server crash . So I'll try it out on the next SP2 install

And for the geeks -

ESENTUTL /p systemroot\ntds\NTDS.dit /!10240 /8 /o

You know how my lunchtime has gone to hell if you know what that cmmand does