PDA

View Full Version : Oh noes I'm a terrist

Charley
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:09:55 PM
http://www.sw-fans.net/photopost/data/502/1156kalashnikov2.jpg

I seem to have gotten my evil mitts on a freedom-hating commie rifle. Avtomat Kalashnikova 47 :cool

http://www.sw-fans.net/photopost/data/502/1156kalashnikov3.jpg

This is a dastardly evil banana clip, which would have been horribly illegal if the assault weapons ban were still here to protect our streets. This magazine holds up to thirty armor-piercing, baby killing 7.62x39mm evil soviet murderbullets. Who is going to stop me???

http://www.sw-fans.net/photopost/data/502/1156kalashnikov1.jpg

OH NO AND NOW I HAVE A COWBOY HAT!

Morgan Evanar
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:12:43 PM
Hey you better get rid of the hat or we won't know whether you're a freedom loving American or a dirty commy bastard.

(I want the gun)

Rasha Vill
Oct 4th, 2004, 09:46:43 AM
I want the Hat. Hey Morgan I'll take the hat, you take the gun and we'll dump the body somewhere.

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:23:29 AM
Not unless he shoots you first. Nice weapon, Charley. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of these types of weapons in your hands now that the ban is lifted. It'll be interesting to see what all you get your mitts on.

I swear these types of threads are so educating. There are so many weapons I would know nothing about if it weren't for these threads.

Khendon Sevon
Oct 4th, 2004, 11:57:20 AM
Mmmm... I want myself a tommy gun... with the drum clip.

I knew the ban was expiring, but I didn't know it was so soon... amazing.

AmazonBabe
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:17:06 PM
Niiiiiiiiiiiiice.

So, when's th AK-47 coming in?

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:23:02 PM
Originally posted by AmazonBabe
So, when's th AK-47 coming in?

Originally posted by Charley
Avtomat Kalashnikova 47 :cool

o_O

AmazonBabe
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:26:58 PM
>_<

I'm going back to eating my Fig Newtons now.

(Sorry, never seen the full spelling of it before ^_^; And to think when I saw the pics I even thought "Gee, that looks an aweful lot like an AK." |I )

Charley
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:55:23 PM
I've got a few accessories I'm trying to buy for it in a few months. I'm getting a sling, a better mag pouch, some soviet optics for the accessory rail (AK rails are on the side of the gun away from the reciever, which is different than most, which are on top of the weapon), and a 75 round beta drum magazine :cool. Oh yeah and I'll probably buy a 1000 round box of Wolf ammo from a gun show or something.

The wood buttstock has a springloaded trap door on the back for a modular field tool. You press the metal trap door and the tool pops out. Its great for field-stripping the gun, but less great for cleaning, as the bore brush is steel, and that's not great.

The finish on this thing is exquisite. Absolutely gorgeous really. The guy I bought it from insisted that I wait an extra week because he wanted to re-do the woodwork on it, and I'm glad I did. Its a nice creamy tan wood finish, with a linseed gloss on it.

Figrin D'an
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:36:08 PM
Originally posted by Khendon Sevon
Mmmm... I want myself a tommy gun... with the drum clip.

I knew the ban was expiring, but I didn't know it was so soon... amazing.

If you're willing to endure the paperwork hassle, the fact that the FBI or BATF can come knocking on the door whenever they wish, and can pony up about $10-$15 grand that it'll cost you... then, yeah, go for it.

;)

Nice weapon, Charley. You should email that last pic (w/ cowboy hat) to Diane Feinstein.

Drake Shadowstalker
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:46:05 PM
Very nice weapon. An exchange student from my school said that, on the black market, AK's could be purchased for like 100-200 US Dollars. If I could have an automatic weapon it would be an M4A1.

Charley
Oct 5th, 2004, 07:32:15 AM
It isn't an automatic FYI. These are semi-auto only variants of the full auto guns. They cannot be readily modified to fire in automatic rates of fire.

And the black market going rate for an AK-47 assault rifle is more around $50 actually.

Anyway, I took her out to the pond yesterday after work to shoot turtles. Its my second time to fire her, but my first without hearing protection. Lemme tell ya, its a little bit loud.

Alex
Oct 5th, 2004, 10:27:43 AM
I don't know whether to be glad that I'm not in the States (ie. away from Charley and his guns), or to be annoyed that I'm not (ie. away from the place where I could hypothetically get a gun).

I'm confused. :cry

Master Yoghurt
Oct 5th, 2004, 10:46:50 AM
As a matter of curiosity, could anyone get guns like that (provided they did the paperwork)?

TheHolo.Net
Oct 5th, 2004, 10:47:43 AM
Any American of proper age that can pass a background check.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 5th, 2004, 10:58:00 AM
I assume there are no formal limits to the amount of guns you could purchase either? Although, I guess it might be suspicious if you ordered large amounts of them.

The background check, is it just a check of police records, or is the check more comprehensive than that? Oh, and those FBI and BATF checks, are they common at all?

Charley
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:32:43 AM
"Guns like that" is a layman's mistake when looking at an AK-47 variant like the WASR-10, because while the gun does share an almost identical appearance to the Kalashnikov assault rifle, the inner workings are vastly different. Because its a semi-automatic only rifle, its really not much different in operation than most hunting rifles, with the exception of a larger magazine capacity and a few cosmetic features. Interestingly, most hunting rifles pack a lot more firepower than a WASR-10, because the military cartridges used are quite noticably weaker than hunting rounds like a .30-06, for example.

As for the laws, the rule of thumb is to observe any federal gun laws first, and then narrow it down further to state laws that might be applicable. The rule of thumb is (for the most part) that you have to be mentally competent (ie, not insane) and have no felonies on your record. From that point, anybody 18 years or older can buy a rifle or a shotgun. For pistols, the age minimum is usually 21 years. That being said, parents and similar people can transfer weapons as gifts to an underage party. This is where it gets tricky.

The example of buying large amounts of the same kind of guns is somewhat of a red flag. This is a high risk of what is called a "straw" purchase, which is a federal offense. A straw purchase means a person who buys guns lawfully but with the intent on transferring them to a third party who is otherwise inelligible for gun ownership. This prevents Joe Felon from handing John Q Public a few thousand dollars in the expectation of buying him a dozen AK-47's. So while its not really illegal to buy lots of the same kind of guns at once, its something that would attract attention.

The background check is a form you fill out at the place of purchase which essentially gives enough of your particulars for a computer to do a quick check on any legal issues you might be carrying on your record. The way its done in most places, this check takes less than 30 minutes, and is every bit as concise as having a seven day waiting period, with much less needless hassle. The check is pretty much mandatory for any FFL (gun stores, gun shows, etc), with states having the power to tack on any other regulations onto the federal ones.

That being said, when you are buying a firearm from a personal contact that isn't a FFL (Federal Firearms Lisence) carrier, you aren't held to the same standards for both buying and selling. I bought my rifle from a friend of mine. The only thing that's required is that we have some kind of agreement in writing that states that he transferred the ownership of the gun to me. This includes buyer and seller signatures plus a witness, the date, the serial number on the weapon, and whatever else you may have. You don't have to inform the authorities on such a transfer, its just recommended that you keep a paper trail to CYA.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:07:57 PM
Very interesting. Thanks for the detailed and informative answers. Also thanks to SWFans for the initial response :)

One final question though, those 7.62x39mm armor piercing bullets, are they not capable of penetrating such things as bulletproof vests?

Charley
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:19:18 PM
Well, they're not "armor piercing". While they *will* pierce armor, having this ability and being expressly designed for the task are not the same.

Armor piercing bullets utilize a hard metal core, such as steel, tungsten, or an alloy of similar properties. Generic bullets for military rifles are designated "Full Metal Jacket" which is a thin copper-skinned lead bullet, which is a heavy, soft metal. So 7.62x39mm is once again the same kind of stuff that's used to hunt deer, in terms of what the bullet's made of.

What makes the thing pierce the armor is its shape and its very high muzzle velocity. It goes very fast and hits in a pretty small surface area. So yes, it will penetrate most flexible ballistic kevlar vests. However, a hunting rifle will once again do this, and do it even better.

Lady Vader
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:25:54 PM
*Remembers the story Charley once told her about the hunting rifle and the squirl.*

Charley
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:51:34 PM
Originally posted by Lady Vader
*Remembers the story Charley once told her about the hunting rifle and the squirl.*

That was a remington 1100 shotgun, not a rifle :)

Pierce Tondry
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:59:16 PM
Story time?

Charley
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:16:12 PM
I was deer hunting in a tree stand, and after sitting for five hours in the cold, I got very bored. A squirrel ran out of the thicket and it sounded like a freight train, so I leveled my 12 gauge at it and hit it full of buck shot at about 10 meters distance. Only the tail was left.

Sotha Sil
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:48:45 PM
With that ninja mask and your gun combined you're such a 'yoyimbo'

Zachariah Darmok
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:51:23 PM
or 'yojimbo'

Charley
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:58:20 PM
Yojimbo would be the correct colloquialism, yes. And I'm not even an Otaku, for shame.

Gurney Devries
Oct 7th, 2004, 12:50:48 PM
On a related note: My Concealed Weapon License just came in today. :cool

Charley
Oct 7th, 2004, 12:57:34 PM
Originally posted by Gurney Devries
On a related note: My Concealed Weapon License just came in today. :cool

Have fun carrying your Beretta Tomcat EVERYWHERE*

<font size=-3>* Except Federal buildings, hospitals, K-12 schools, airports, public demonstrations, and any venue that asks that you disarm yourself explicitly, in either verbal form or by written request, easily seen upon entry of the premises. But you knew that already :)</font>

Pierce Tondry
Oct 7th, 2004, 05:42:04 PM
THERE'S TWO OF THEM NOW

Shawn
Oct 7th, 2004, 07:51:28 PM
http://img63.exs.cx/img63/8443/Untitled-152.jpg

Best picture I could take of it.

Pierce Tondry
Oct 7th, 2004, 08:02:56 PM
lol, Shawn has no nose.

That's still cool though. Props.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 8th, 2004, 12:33:38 AM
No Nose? How does he smell?

:: And the crowd yells..... AWFUL!!! ::

Boom tish, I'll be here all week. Try the tuna fish

Charley
Oct 9th, 2004, 11:48:33 PM
Time to go SHOPPING :D

<a href=http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=20224&sku=AMM%2D625&imgid=&mscssid=RTPQABG396RW8LJJG8CBD0X718BL67M4>500 rounds of Wolf hollowpoints</a>

<a href=http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1240&sku=AKS%2D008&imgid=&mscssid=RTPQABG396RW8LJJG8CBD0X718BL67M4>Magazine clamps</a>

<a href=http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1240&sku=AKS%2D223&imgid=&mscssid=RTPQABG396RW8LJJG8CBD0X718BL67M4>Magazine pouch, capacity six</a>

<a href=http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1240&sku=KEY%2D103&imgid=&mscssid=RTPQABG396RW8LJJG8CBD0X718BL67M4>Rifle sling</a>

<a href=http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1240&sku=MAG%2D029&imgid=&mscssid=RTPQABG396RW8LJJG8CBD0X718BL67M4>30 round mags</a>

And if they come back into stock:

<a href=http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1240&sku=MAG%2D032&imgid=&mscssid=RTPQABG396RW8LJJG8CBD0X718BL67M4>75 round drum mags</a>

Vampyre Dalamar
Oct 9th, 2004, 11:54:02 PM
Hey Concealed weapons permit. OOooohhhhhhhhh I want one of those. Chuck how many guns do you have?

Charley
Oct 9th, 2004, 11:59:01 PM
Currently I have four

1. Remington Model 1100 series shotgun
2. Marlin Model 1894 30-30 Henry lever action repeating rifle
3. Springfield Xtreme Duty .40 caliber service pistol
4. Romanian WASR-10 Avtomat Kalashnikova model 1947 semiautomatic rifle

I'm looking into getting another one in a few months, but right now I don't know what I'd go for.

Lion El' Jonson
Oct 10th, 2004, 07:58:57 AM
lol, I bought a very nice pair of night-vision goggles at the Russian border when I went to Mongolia two years ago. You can buy anything at those Black Markets. :lol

Nice gun, Charley. Go shoot more turtles.

Vampyre Dalamar
Oct 10th, 2004, 08:35:58 AM
Thats it? I think your leaving out the pistols. Still that is real nice. You do have handguns right?

( I stand corrected I see that one of them is. )

Charley
Oct 10th, 2004, 10:52:32 AM
Just one pistol for the moment. I'm considering getting another one in a few months. Either a Ruger Vaquero single action .45 long colt revolver, or a Kel-Tec .380. That is, if I don't decide to buy a Saiga 12 shotgun or a Rock River Arms AR-15. I've got plenty of guns on my list, and plenty of time to save up for them.

Charley
Oct 10th, 2004, 11:54:05 AM
I forgot about the Yugoslavian SKS that I'm gonna buy before any of those. Oops :o

Severen Morkonis
Oct 10th, 2004, 02:04:12 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
http://img63.exs.cx/img63/8443/Untitled-152.jpg

Best picture I could take of it.

Classic shot when you got a hitman game in the background :)

Taataani Meorrrei
Oct 10th, 2004, 02:54:31 PM
No hitman I know would bother with a CCW, much less one with his picture on it ;)

Kelt Simoson
Oct 10th, 2004, 04:13:33 PM
Besides Shawn obviously, you know hitmen? O_O..lol

Shawn
Oct 10th, 2004, 04:39:33 PM
I didn't notice that until after I took the picture. ^_^;

I'm not sure if my ISP is going to like me hosting a 15mb video, but here goes nothing: http://dark_god7.home.mindspring.com/Firing.avi Right Click > Save As, please. Yes, I know that my head leans to the side a bit. It just creeps up on me sometimes.

Edit: Also, I uploaded some new pictures into the Gallery. Here (http://sw-fans.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=779&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=501) and Here (http://sw-fans.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=778&password=&sort=1&size=big&cat=501&page=)

Taataani Meorrrei
Oct 10th, 2004, 07:39:50 PM
Lean forward, square your feet up shoulder width, and roll your shoulders forward. If you're firing like that, you'll adapt well to Isosceles form, as opposed to Weaver, Carpenter, or whatever else is out there. I wouldn't worry about tilting your head, I don't think. Other than that, the hardest thing you'll have to work on is your trigger pull. I can safely say that mine is still horrible.

Originally posted by Kelt Simoson
Besides Shawn obviously, you know hitmen? O_O..lol

Criminals aren't usually the most stringent followers of gun laws :)

Shawn
Oct 10th, 2004, 08:12:41 PM
I got corrected on all that moments later. :p This was taken on my father's property up north. We just go out back and have some fun, so I tend not to be so stringent. I suppose I should be.

Taataani Meorrrei
Oct 10th, 2004, 08:18:25 PM
Well, if you're carrying CCW, it helps to be a bit anal-retentive on the details, since you might very well use those skills if you get in trouble.

Its always a good idea to get enough ammo to develop muscle memory and good firing habits.

Shawn
Oct 10th, 2004, 08:23:52 PM
Definitely. When I took the course, the instructor thought I was exceptional. I still need to get a feel out for what stance I find the most comfortable. Weaver feels more natural to me.

I need to take the time out to go and practice more often. As it is, I only really get to go out every couple months or so.

Taataani Meorrrei
Oct 10th, 2004, 08:29:51 PM
Yeah, it can suck when you try to find time to get some range work done. I'm finally getting to the point in which I might be able to afford it every once in a while. The only problem is, it gets a wee bit pricey when you punch paper with .40 S&W :uhoh

My last bit of range work with the XD was bloody awful. Mind you, I'd spent a few hours before sighting in Akrabbim's 30-06, and that bastard slapping your shoulder a hundred times or so will probably cause you to be a little jittery, but still it was pretty bad. I tried shooting steel for the first time ever, and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I'm usually decent on paper silhouettes, so I'm not sure what was up. Maybe I was verifying the "aim small, miss small" philosophy, because center mass on a silhouette is a great deal smaller than a steel plate.

Ishan Shade
Oct 10th, 2004, 10:14:48 PM
Charley, I am jealous. I bet that thing is a blast to shoot.

Charley
Oct 10th, 2004, 10:18:50 PM
Its great. The recoil is practically nonexistant. You can fire from almost any position (although prone firing with a 30 round mag is finicky, because its honking huge) and not worry about fully seating the stock on your shoulder. Its about loud enough to wake the dead though, which is coming from somebody who also owns a 30-30, which is an insanely loud gun in its own right. Please wear ear protection if at all possible :)

At about a dime a bullet, its the closest thing to an economy gun that I'll find, apart from a .22 of some sort. Did I mention that you can pretty much neglect the crap out of it, and feed it the worst quality ammunition on the market (Wolf), and not worry about cleaning it except for a few times a year?

Oh, and its retardedly easy to break down and clean.

Lady Vader
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:18:12 PM
I want one!!! :cry

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 11th, 2004, 04:30:34 PM
Rie, the only thought scarier than you driving on the same road as me, is you having a semi-automatic weapon.

:p

Lady Vader
Oct 11th, 2004, 04:52:40 PM
I'd smoke you on the road with my car! :p

But I wouldn't smoke you with a semi-automatic weapon (that you can be assured of). :D

Vampyre Dalamar
Oct 12th, 2004, 07:22:40 AM
Knows her, know she lie's, Lilian you will be missed. Doffs his hat to her, she was great. Play's sad funeral durge in her Honor.... ;)

I mean uh.. Lady Vader would do no such thing. As a matter of fact she's the greatest person I know. Runs and hides o_O

Charley
Oct 12th, 2004, 07:28:49 AM
Rie, just get a Kalifornia-neutered Yugoslavian SKS. So, you'll have to remove the grenade launcher, big deal. You'll still have the bayonet that comes with it, and its a great little plinker.

Lady Vader
Oct 12th, 2004, 10:40:10 AM
Mmmmm... bayonet. I shall poke things. :Poke

imported_Akrabbim
Oct 13th, 2004, 02:20:12 PM
You gotta bring that thing down when we go shooting next. I've found that ice is quite the nice target. :)

Charley
Oct 13th, 2004, 02:22:34 PM
I'll be down there from friday to sunday actually.

Tiberius Anar
Oct 13th, 2004, 03:18:09 PM
Oh dear lord a den of gun nuts. I prefer this.

*brandishes epee*

A more elegant weapon for a more elegant age.

Actually I like shooting occasionally. But I only have an air rifle.

imported_Firebird1
Oct 13th, 2004, 09:55:43 PM
Why do I suddenly have visions of driving through Arkansas and wearing a bullet proof vest?

Mitch
Oct 13th, 2004, 11:40:29 PM
An epee? Hah, give me a real rapier instead, or a rapier. You know, weapons that can actually do damage as opposed to that flimsy little marshmallow roasting stick.

imported_Akrabbim
Oct 13th, 2004, 11:53:15 PM
I'll stick with a gun. :) I like katanas, personally, but I'll use guns when I need 'em.

Tiberius Anar
Oct 14th, 2004, 03:26:55 AM
Why do I suddenly have visions of driving through Arkansas and wearing a bullet proof vest?

:lol

Shawn
Oct 14th, 2004, 04:47:01 AM
Originally posted by Akrabbim
I'll stick with a gun. :) I like katanas, personally, but I'll use guns when I need 'em. That's kinda my view. I'm not much of a gun nut, but I live in Miami.

Hey, did you hear the one about the guy who brought a knife to a gun fight?

Yeah, he didn't win.

Charley
Oct 14th, 2004, 07:11:02 AM
Originally posted by Firebird1

I have no idea, as I live in Alabama

Tiberius Anar
Oct 14th, 2004, 07:39:02 AM
I rather think that was her point.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Oct 14th, 2004, 07:39:38 AM
I want to fire it :)

Charley
Oct 14th, 2004, 08:12:58 AM
Originally posted by Tiberius Anar
I rather think that was her point.

A silly point, if it was. And Firebird is a he.

Originally posted by s'Ilancy
I want to fire it :)

You should be able to this weekend.

imported_Akrabbim
Oct 14th, 2004, 02:02:04 PM
Indeed. Many a thing shall be smote by the our superior firepower, and the power of America.

Tiberius Anar
Oct 14th, 2004, 03:39:18 PM
Originally posted by Charley
And Firebird is a he.

Oops.

Severen Morkonis
Oct 14th, 2004, 03:40:49 PM
Gimme a vintage Springfield 01 anyway...KABLAM!

Charley
Oct 14th, 2004, 03:54:28 PM
Originally posted by Sieken Kasstra
Gimme a vintage Springfield 01 anyway...KABLAM!

Springfield 01?

Severen Morkonis
Oct 14th, 2004, 06:42:31 PM
03...my bad

Charley
Oct 18th, 2004, 09:23:15 PM
<a href=http://www.panic.hopto.org/swf/charley/weapons1.jpg>My growing collection</a>