PDA

View Full Version : Mount Saint Helens

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:32:33 AM
Well it looks like it might blow again, sometime in the next week maybe. I am glad I live nowhere near that thing. I have always thought that Volocanos are the most powerful force on earth. The explosion itself is unbelievable then you have the deadly ash that comes out of it. It is amazing and horryfing at the same time. I am hoping they get some pictures of it, if it does indeed happen.

CMJ
Oct 1st, 2004, 10:14:37 AM
Apparently this erruption is not supposed to be as violent as the one back in 1980. Still...I wouldn't wanna be within 500 miles of her when she goes. ;)

Zyon Rouge
Oct 1st, 2004, 10:26:38 AM
*hides in my blanket and plays KOTOR*

"Ahaha, is that you fishies?! You can't get me, no snacky packy for you! I stay in here behind my protective walls, you stay out their, and you are fish food! LUNCHIE MUNCHIE!"

*continues to rock back and forth as I wait for the erruption*

p.s. If you haven't notice, I am scared easily.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 1st, 2004, 11:07:08 AM
How close are you too the Volcano? I know the last one you could see ash as far away as Arizona but that one was a huge eruption, this one is going to be minor, although minor is still a big deal for a Volcano heh.

imported_Grev Drasen
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:26:42 PM
Apparently it's already erupting, at least that's what I heard on AM radio a few minutes ago.

Zarell Karna
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:45:43 PM
They're seeing steam, the last one damn near blotted out the sky with ash here in Southern California. We had many crimson afternoon skies full of ash.

Figrin D'an
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:51:41 PM
This will be a baby eruption compared to 1980. There's not much to worry about. The reason the 1980 eruption was so destructive is because the magma/gas pressure had almost no venting, was building for more than a century, and it had an entire mountain top sitting on the main volcanic shaft. What was spit out was mainly rock and ash, which either ended up in the huge mudslide or the ash plume. Circumstances are much different now. Yes, there could be a fairly major eruption soon, but we're talking about an affected area of about maybe 5 miles around the mountain, rather than 50+ with ash travelling 1000 miles.

What happened today was a steam eruption... no magma.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:11:23 PM
I wish I wasn't at work, so I could go outside and see it for myself. :(

Just be glad this isn't Mt. Hood we're talking about. :eek talk about end of the world senarios...

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:30:41 PM
Or Mt Ranier if that one ever blows Seattle is under ash.

Mitch
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:43:06 PM
Crap, now I'll REALLY have to wash my car.

Of everyone on the boards, I think I actually live the closest to St. Helens, and believe it or not, this is the first I've heard of it blowing again.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:11:12 AM
Yeah you probably do. You're at least in the same state. It blew towards the East though, they said places like Kelso might get some ash, but not much.

And I heard they think that there may be more eruptions.

Drake Shadowstalker
Oct 2nd, 2004, 12:23:01 PM
I live about 140 miles South of the mountain. I wasn't alive for the first eruption so I have no idea what it was like.

Figrin D'an
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:55:41 PM
Looks like the mountain is a lot more active today. A general evacuation has been ordered, and geologists are saying there is 50/50 chance of a magma eruption at this point.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/10/02/mount.st.helens/index.html

Mitch
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:53:34 PM
Goodie goodie, with me about ninety miles north....

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 2nd, 2004, 06:15:26 PM
Take pictures, Mitch!! Yet again, I was at work, missed the spurt of steam from the mountain. :grumble

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 2nd, 2004, 06:24:19 PM
Heck I get out of dodge if you are too close. That is the most destructive force on earth.

Zyon Rouge
Oct 2nd, 2004, 06:37:26 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Take pictures, Mitch!! Yet again, I was at work, missed the spurt of steam from the mountain. :grumble I was sleeping when it happened. It's funny, I sleep through most stuff like earthquakes and the such.

Mitch
Oct 2nd, 2004, 07:44:08 PM
Okay, um, even though I'm that close, I can't actually see the mountain unless I travel about an hour south. Too many other hills and stuff in the way.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:39:48 AM
:lol well then never mind, *I* will take pictures, because we can actually see it if one gets up high enough.

Figrin D'an
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:56:31 AM
The word now is that a major eruption is imminent, likely within the next 24 hours.

Charley
Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:22:05 PM
Boy 2004 has been a year for natural disasters, eh?

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:29:09 PM
I know from Hurricanes to Volcanos, all we need now is an Earthquake. Those in LA ignore I said that :p

Jared Mriad
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:31:56 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I know from Hurricanes to Volcanos, all we need now is an Earthquake. Those in LA ignore I said that :p

Southern Cali's been trembling alot lately, so I've heard. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:33:59 PM
They had a minor one a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully that will be it. The only other major disaster would be another Volcano like MT. Ranier which is going to erupt one day.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:17:23 PM
Originally posted by Mitch
Goodie goodie, with me about ninety miles north....

oh yeah, near as I can figure, we're about 55 miles south, so I'm closer than you. :mneh

Mitch
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:32:08 PM
Shaddap, yew.

By twelfth century reckoning, ninety miles is less than 55 when you factor in heresy, the rotation of the sun around the earth, and the windspeed velicity of a swallow.

Figrin D'an
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:16:15 AM
Originally posted by Mitch
... and the windspeed velicity of a swallow.

African or European?

Mitch
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:01:26 AM
How dare you refer to the dark continent of heathens! To the dungeon with you!

:p