PDA

View Full Version : Crap of the Day

Cardinal Aiyalin
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:49:45 PM
Ok.. I would like to take a poll of all ladies on this site.. according to
this survey (http://www.onlypunjab.com/real/fullstory-newsID-2043.html)...

Single men are being warned to bin their Harry Potter books if they want to attract the opposite sex while on holiday.

The fantasy novels are a big turn-off for girls, warns a new survey by publishers Penguin, who say Potter and The Lord Of The Rings books are the worst reads to pack in your suitcase this summer reports the Daily Star.

If men want to impress ladies on the beach, then Nick Hornby or Emily Bronte are the best bets.

Sex and relationship expert Tracey Cox said: "On a beach, with so little on, a book can tell you far more about someone than their choice of swimming trunks or a beach towel.

"Pick a classic and woman will swoon at your sensitive nature."

Do you guys agree with this at all?

I mean, come on.. if I was single, and saw a cute guy at the beach, and he was reading Emily Bronte (Wuthering Heights).. I would think there's something seriously wrong with this guy (unless he had to read it because of an english class).. Wuthering Heights was like a 1800s romance soap opera (if I'm remembering correctly, it's been a while since I was forced to read it)...

Am I completely out of touch with the "normal" female in today's society? What is going wrong here? Am I the only female who would rather sit around and discuss either football, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, politics or Harry Potter? Gah, this stuff makes me sick. I sometimes wonder about women.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:46:00 PM
thread promised crap and Thread delivers. I have to agree. Normal males wouldnt be caught dead reading 18th century romance nonsense. Sensitive nature my .... errr..... damn the censor -_-

Rasha Vill
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:08:15 PM
I know a lot of people that would think that poll is a load of crap. Me being one of them.

ReaperFett
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:52:45 PM
My reading in Chicago was comic paperbacks and "Join Me", a book about a man who started a whole movement from an ad saying simply "Join Me". They good enough? :)

HFunk
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:57:00 PM
A Load of Crap! Maybe a sophisticated literary reader may make a more desirable impression on an intellectual level. Otherwise who cares?

Darth Viscera
Sep 30th, 2004, 06:06:41 PM
I am of the self-delusion that girls go nuts with desire when they catch me reading Harry Turtledove novels.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 30th, 2004, 06:08:22 PM
HFunk, you're not a woman. :p

And yeah, load of crap. Course, I'd be turned on if I saw a man reading anything at all. ;)

Darth Viscera
Sep 30th, 2004, 06:11:41 PM
^^^
:lol even if the title of said anything at all ends in "boy" or "house"?

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 30th, 2004, 06:14:20 PM
What do you mean? Like "The Amazing Adventures of Super-Boy" or something? Or "Step-by-Step Do-It-Yourself Instructions from This Old House"?

HFunk
Sep 30th, 2004, 06:24:43 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
HFunk, you're not a woman. :p

And yeah, load of crap. Course, I'd be turned on if I saw a man reading anything at all. ;)

Thank god, it means I don't have to deal with PMS related issues. Hey, strand me on a deserted isle but give me my mystery novelists and Martin ... and loads of girlie mags and I may not go entirely insane. ;)

Master Yoghurt
Sep 30th, 2004, 06:28:55 PM
Maybe a sophisticated literary reader may make a more desirable impression on an intellectual level.

One thing though, who is to say someone reading 1800s romance soap operas are any more intellectual sophisticated than those who read LOTR? I would argue the other way around..

Even though LOTR is extremely popular and "mainstream", and whatever high brow taste one might have; its hard to deny the level of literal quality Tolkiens work has. Its widerly concidered one of the most important literary works in the twentieth century. As a fellow Australian once said, LOTR is written by the "..professor of Anglo Saxon of Oxford, the authority on the English Language". Furthemore, concider the tremendous achievment of creating this whole universe and the cultural impact it had.

(Besides, if you read romance soap operas, youre pretty much throwing every last shred of maskuline aura out of the window :p )

Cardinal Aiyalin
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:26:12 PM
Thank god I'm not the only one who found this completely ridiculous! I was starting to feel like I was in the vast minority reading this.. Sensitive side, my foot.. I'd wonder about the sexual preference of any man willingly reading a romance-soap-opera novel.

Fett, that book sounds interesting.. Who's it by?

And Yog.. I completely agree! :)

Charley
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:51:19 PM
Who reads on vacation? I'm pretty sure I'd make fun of anybody doing this.

Crystal
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:42:52 PM
I don't agree. I'd think a guy would be more my type if he was reading something like Harry Potter or LOTR. I'd be scared and very turned off if he liked stuff like Wuthering Heights.

But.. at least half, if not more, of the girls I've known IRL love romance novels and other crap. So.. maybe if you're trying to attract to type of girl that will drag you to something with Meg Ryan in it, you should be reading those books. :huh

Originally posted by ReaperFett
My reading in Chicago was comic paperbacks and "Join Me", a book about a man who started a whole movement from an ad saying simply "Join Me". They good enough? :)

Also curious about this.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:04:25 PM
I hate romance novels. They're only good for even more demeaning tasks than what Mark relegates to most of the Star Wars EU novels.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:28:11 PM
There's somethign more demeaning for SW EU books than wiping ones butt after a dalton damaging curry ring of fire experience? Tell me! I want to do that to them!

Neyasha
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:34:38 PM
As a close lady friend of mine once said to me... "I only read romance novels to remind me how borring my love life is, hoping that it may happen to me some day."

Sheyleigh Castille
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:51:38 PM
Originally posted by HFunk
Thank god, it means I don't have to deal with PMS related issues.

:lol Ye of lil' mind. If you - or when you - are with a woman in a relationship ... trust me. YOU do have to deal with PMS issues. Suffer the wrath :b

Anyways, yeah that poll was a load of crap. I didn't read the link but I got the gist of it from the posts. If I saw a guy reading Wuthering Heights, I'd think he had his bread buttered on the other side.

Who'd they poll? Daughters of librarians?

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:58:14 PM
Ye of lil' mind. If you - or when you - are with a woman in a relationship ... trust me. YOU do have to deal with PMS issues.

Be armed with chocolate. Works for me for those 4 days a month when my wife becomes PMS Avenger.

Mitch
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:04:11 AM
Dude, if I'm reading on vacation, it'll be some Conan, or Solomon Kane, or some Hitchhiker's Guide. When I'm on vacation, I want to have fun.

Shawn
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:52:38 AM
I didn't immediately recognize either of the names, so I hit up amazon.com before reading any further.

So what they're saying is that women want guys to read the literary equivalent of chick flicks? No thanks. If you seriously dig Harry Potter, or some other "nerdy" books, what's the point of trying to hide it? If you actually get together with someone, the subject of your interests is going to come up before too long.

Besides, who reads books to pick up chicks, anyway? Or do they just smuggle a dirty magazine in-between the pages of these lady-magnets in paperback form?

James Prent
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:58:10 AM
Romance novels are the girl equivalent of Playboy. They are trash, and if I saw a man reading one, I would probably die of shock and then laugh my head off.

18th and 19th century female authors are best appreciated in literature class, and not on while vacation trying to pick up women.

Crystal
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:11:19 AM
Originally posted by Shawn
If you seriously dig Harry Potter, or some other "nerdy" books, what's the point of trying to hide it? If you actually get together with someone, the subject of your interests is going to come up before too long.

Not if you're on vacation, pick up a girl with your sexy romance books and score, then get out of there before she gets your last name! :)

Charley
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:45:28 AM
Originally posted by Crystal
Not if you're on vacation, pick up a girl with your sexy romance books and score, then get out of there before she gets your last name! :)

That is true. Whatever happens at the beach, stays at the beach.

You're still a pretty giant dork if you're reading while on vacation.

Lady Vader
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:05:07 PM
So what they're saying is that women want guys to read the literary equivalent of chick flicks?

For starters, I can't STAND chick-flicks. Personally, I'd rather go see a movie that's got lots of action and things blowing up.

As for that poll... complete crap.

Give me SW, ST, LOTR, or HP any day.

Mu Satach
Oct 2nd, 2004, 06:29:29 PM
Originally posted by Cardinal Aiyalin
Ok.. I would like to take a poll of all ladies on this site..

You do realize your asking the opinion of gals who's main form of entertainment preference falls in line more with Harry & Tolkien, bash and rockem sockem action than Emily or Charlotte Bronte. ;)

Cardinal Aiyalin
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:24:38 PM
Yeah, I know.. but the reason why I asked it is because I identify more with you all than with anyone else.

I have some fantastic female friends, and I truly think they are awesome people.. but sometimes, I wonder. There's one girl who picked her football team because she thought that their colors went well together, and the quarterback was cute. I refuse to watch football with her, she drives me insane.

After thinking about it, ladies, I believe we are in the vast minority. When I look at other females around my age, their attitudes and behaviors shock me. My friends and I share many personality traits, but we also differ widely. I have one friend who has never seen the original trilogy. I also can't convince this friend to even try reading Harry Potter....

Yes, my friends, we are definitely in the vast minority. I guess this does work in our favor, however.. when we are dealing with men :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:27:20 PM
It just means we prefer more intellectually solid things, like Tolkien or Asimov as opposed to the latest romance novel crap with Fabio on the cover. :x

Cardinal Aiyalin
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:18:21 PM
Very true, LD :)

Darth Viscera
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:37:03 PM
a what novel :huh

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:11:32 AM
Originally posted by Mu Satach
You do realize your asking the opinion of gals who's main form of entertainment preference falls in line more with Harry & Tolkien, bash and rockem sockem action than Emily or Charlotte Bronte. ;)

I am a sucker for Wuthering Heights >_<

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:44:09 PM
Jane Eyre is cool too. :):thumbup

But I do find myself more into science fiction/fantasty novels than novels like those. Actually, Mary Shelly's Frankenstein is an *amazing* book, if you've never read it.

Crystal
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:10:58 PM
Originally posted by Cardinal Aiyalin
After thinking about it, ladies, I believe we are in the vast minority

I've known this since I was in gradeschool and people called me a lesbian because I was wearing a star wars shirt. :huh Tell me how much sense THAT makes.

imported_Marcus
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:45:45 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
I am a sucker for Wuthering Heights >_<

OUT!!! OUT DEMON!!! BEGONE FROM HER BODY!!! IN THE NAME OF GOD, I ORDER YOU TO FLEE AND THE EVIL OF WUTHERING HEIGHTS TO FOREVER LET HER BE FREE!!!

:: Now, to add to the image, imagine a mad Aussie in a priest's uniform whacking said possessed person with a frying pan :: *

Neyasha
Oct 5th, 2004, 09:54:48 AM
Originally posted by Marcus
OUT!!! OUT DEMON!!! BEGONE FROM HER BODY!!! IN THE NAME OF GOD, I ORDER YOU TO FLEE AND THE EVIL OF WUTHERING HEIGHTS TO FOREVER LET HER BE FREE!!!

:: Now, to add to the image, imagine a mad Aussie in a priest's uniform whacking said possessed person with a frying pan :: *

LOL!! that mental image made me laugh alot!