PDA

View Full Version : The "Oil Crash"

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:36:15 PM
http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

I'm curious about what people think about this idea and how much weight it holds.

Cardinal Aiyalin
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:56:01 PM
I don't know.. I read the majority of it (I'll finish it later), but it sounded so sensationalized that it's hard for me to believe it. Maybe if they stopped using sensational headlines like "Michael Moore, George Bush and the Saudi's in agreement" they would sound more legit.

It's an interesting argument, but they need to stop using flashy headlines and "sensation-causing" quotes.. it causes the whole article to be shown in a poor light.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:42:02 PM
Load of crap.

What sensationalist idiots like that dont tell is the fact there are very damn good alternatives right here, right now. LPG is in such abundance, that it's not going to run out quickly. Also, shale oil and other alternate oil have now become viable - became viable at about $40 a barrel. You see, whats runnign out is not oil itself, but light crude, which has the correct molecules of octane / nonane. The crackign process to break down heavy crude to petrol and other lighter oils is expensive and time consumong - but now viable.

Shale and coal can also be refined into oil too - in fact that used to be the main source of oil. Sydney is one of the largest knwon untapped reserves of shale and coal.

Oh, there's goign to be trouble in the Middle East for sure as their light crude runs out. But, it's not a doomsday senario. Now the price of oil is up, the alternative supplies are now viable and in fact I know for a fact they are going to reopen the Nepean shale mines, which are rich in shale oil. There's about 200 years in known reserves just in the Sydney coal seam.

Be prepared for a few hiccups as production shifts. But, end of society is highly unlikely. More likely we turn ourselves into glowing ash.

Master Yoghurt
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:10:19 PM
That article is so full of inaccuracies and ulterior motives, I dont even know where to begin.

Darth Viscera
Sep 30th, 2004, 06:02:06 PM
I think that as soon as the US runs out of its domestic oil reserves, moving to a more abundant source of energy will take on a new sense of urgency within the public, so research into new sources of energy will receive a huge budget boost. The US produces 8.054 million barrels of oil domestically a day, 40% of our total oil consumption, and as of Jan 1 2002 we had 22.45 billion barrels of proven oil reserves, so according to my calculations, if we maintain that rate of domestic oil consumption (barring discoveries and immediate exploitation of new oil fields within the territory of the United States), the USA's domestic reserves will be exhausted by July 20, 2009, and our domestic natural gas reserves exhausted in 2010.

I'm not too worried about it, because with the proper motivation and a huge level of public funding, a yankee could invent a way to turn lead into gold, cure the common cold and make dogs walk on the ceiling, so I'm confident that making a horseless carriage that is powered by hydrogen or whatnot is well within the realm of possibility once it's our top national priority.

Khendon Sevon
Sep 30th, 2004, 06:34:12 PM
I have to agree with Viscera.

Furthermore, I feel like the article was heavily influenced by Orwell's 1984... Watch out! Never-ending war! Constant strife and conflict! Infinite poverty and repression! Oh my!

No. Not happening.

Charley
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:52:16 PM
Its tinfoil hattery from a bunch of hippies that don't understand topics such as science or economics.

Lady Vader
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:08:34 PM
Lock the hippies up and drill for oil in Alaska.

(At least my understanding is that laska has enough oil to last us awhile, save that the environmentalists keep fighting the government to keep them from drilling there.)

Morgan Evanar
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:14:01 PM
My understanding is that there isn't much oil in Alaska.

Lady Vader
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:39:33 PM
Oh... perhaps I was misinformed?