PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars DVD

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 21st, 2004, 10:48:23 AM
So who have picked it up yet :) I have got it. So far just watched Empire of Dreams (one of the best documentaries of a making of a movie I have seen) and the preview of Revenge of the Sith. Going to start watching the movies later.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 21st, 2004, 11:16:32 AM
We pre-ordered it yesterday (:lol) and so will be picking it up and SW:Battlefront today. (pre-ordered that for the included exclusive action figure.) But I only just woke up. *yawn*

Salem Ave
Sep 21st, 2004, 11:20:36 AM
I haven't got it, but it's a small wonder I've been able to resist. Every shop I've been into for the past month has asked if I want to pre-order it, and now that it's out all of these shops have huge displays filled with boxsets. One even had police guarding it!

ReaperFett
Sep 21st, 2004, 11:22:01 AM
Got it yesterday, keep up people! :)

The movies are better than ever. The gag reel is slightly dissapointing, but with the greatest shoot out ever :D

darth_mcbain
Sep 21st, 2004, 11:36:00 AM
Alas - I have to wait another week for mine to arrive - I ordered it through amazon... the funny thing is that according to the tracking info, it has made it halfway across the country in a day or so, but now it is only about 50 miles away from me - yet the estimated delivery date is next week... Damn UPS - I know they're just gonna sit on it for a week when they could just throw it on a truck and get it to me sooner :mad

JMK
Sep 21st, 2004, 11:58:40 AM
I'm going to pick it up tonight after work. Can't wait!

Crystal
Sep 21st, 2004, 01:00:32 PM
I'll buy it when I get around to it. Not super excited. I can wait a couple of days/weeks or months. I'm glad it's finally out on DVD though.

Nathanial K'cansce
Sep 21st, 2004, 01:27:41 PM
Pre-Ordered it on Friday when I was home. Gave them my house number, and they called my mom ysterday. She went to get it today. No word on if they'll be shipping it to me or driving it to me (I only live 1.25 hours away from home), or when they'll do that. I know my dad wanted to watch them first before giving them to me. :p

Figrin D'an
Sep 21st, 2004, 01:35:04 PM
I was actually able to get mine early, so I've had the opportunity to see a good portion of the material already. My general impressions:

Good:

- Well, the fact that it's finally on DVD. I'm still making my own DVD copies of the original theatre cuts from laserdisc rips, but at least we finally have an official DVD release.
- The clarity and cleanliness of the digital remaster... wow, it looks really good. The color balance and overall crispness of the picture is great. It's amazing how much detail was fuzzed out in the VHS and laserdiscs compared to this. Everything is much more lively. They look like films that were made 10-15 years ago, not 25+.
- Some of the 'changes'... the lightsabre effects in ANH look much, much better, as do the laser blasts. I noticed a few sound effects changes, which I thought were good. Matte lines in all three films are virtually gone all together, which is nice to see. I kind of miss Jeremy Bulloch's raspy muffled voice for Boba Fett, but given the voice change makes sense for continuity, it's not all that bad. I'll get used to it. The new hologram Emperor in ESB looks and sounds fantastic. This was the single best improvement of the entire DVD release. Jabba in ANH is vastly improved as well, although I still think the large puppet from ROTJ and the CG version from TPM look better. And no more Luke screaming like a girly-man when he falls in Cloud City.
- Extras are excellent. I had already watched Empire of Dreams on A&E, but it's a good documentary. The other items on the 4th disc are good as well.

The Bad:

- Greedo still shoots first, but at least it's not as blatantly offset and cheesy looking as in the SE release in '97.
- The sabre clash in front of the Emperor in ROTJ looks awful, IMO. I don't know why they changed it.
- I'm still mixed on the revamped ghost sequence at the end of ROTJ. Conceptually, I'm fine with it. The execution of it doesn't look right, though (and, sorry, but Hayden looks like a complete tool with that stupid shallow smirk of his. But, given the story I've heard about how this change was done, I'm not completely blaming him for how he looks in it.)

Will write more later perhaps.

Jacen Parami
Sep 21st, 2004, 02:54:52 PM
I bought them yesterday from Tesco's (the supermarket across the road from school) during a break in physics, along with a pack of chocolate biscuits that were on offer (Long story...don't ask). I've been re-arranging the furniture in my room, so I only just (a few hours ago) got the tv set back up again. So, I've only watched Ep IV.

I give it about a 7. Some of the new graphics were a bit weak...Jabba looks a little odd. I don't remember the original versions though...I'd have to borrow those from my brother-in-law (the DVDs are the only copy I have, which is why I bought them) to do a proper comparison. Some of the ship graphics looked pretty cool - I know it was on the special ed's, but the re-worked Fighter pan shot looks ace.

So yeah, 7/10 for Episode IV...depending on how the others look, it might make it up to an 8 - the Jawa falling off that lizard thing in Mos Eisley WAS funny. :D

Charley
Sep 21st, 2004, 06:15:50 PM
AK-47 > Star Wars DVDs

I'll buy this thing in a month or so I guess. I'd rather have Soviet-style firepower to be honest.

imported_Eve
Sep 21st, 2004, 06:17:28 PM
A&E has been showing "Empire of Dreams" for the last two weeks, in addition to documentaries/biographies on George Lucas. VH1 was also airing a hour-long programme called "When StarWars Ruled the World". There has been alot of stuff on TV in expectation of the DVD.

I have not got my copy yet. I will get it probably tomorrow.

imported_Firebird1
Sep 21st, 2004, 07:47:54 PM
I think I have a nose bleed from how clear the DVD is....

Sweet Thank God for Widescreen!!!

I just got done watching Ep4, and it was clear and fun to watch. Oh and Han and Greeno fire at the same time..

On a related note... Must wait for birthday to buy Battlefront!

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 21st, 2004, 08:07:38 PM
My youngest brother-in-law got Battlefront and he says 'its the best Star Wars game ever." I don't know how reliable that review is, but he's played all of the other games too.

imported_Firebird1
Sep 21st, 2004, 08:11:12 PM
Gamespy has given it 4/5 for the Xbox version so it looks good.
*Reminds himself that he has re-installed JK:A.*

Anyways the Ep3 first look was awsome....

Darth Vader is back...

in Black!

Drake Shadowstalker
Sep 21st, 2004, 09:38:49 PM
I want the DVD set so bad. And the only thing that is preventing me from buying it is lack of money. Christmas is drawing closer though!!!

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 21st, 2004, 10:07:02 PM
Empire of Dreams is longer on the DVD. I say about by almost 45 minutes. They cut alot out of the Tv version.

Jinn Fizz
Sep 21st, 2004, 10:33:21 PM
I bought them today, although I must admit I'm not overly souped-up about the whole thing. I'm one of those people who's getting tired of Lucas tinkering with things, and plunking Hayden into the end of Return of the Jedi was almost a make-or-break thing for me. I still bought the set, though, since I think it's worth the money to get the commentaries and the bonus material. And I've got the THX laserdisc versions of the original original trilogy ripped to DVD, so I can watch those to my heart's content.

Oh, and btw, I was surprised at how run of the mill and kinda chintzy the packaging is. :(

ReaperFett
Sep 21st, 2004, 10:38:48 PM
I got a nice box to put the whole thing in free :)

Shawn
Sep 22nd, 2004, 12:56:42 AM
So I guess people can see for themselves that this (http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36442) wasn't a hoax. Despite my fondest wishes.

Master Yoghurt
Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:50:12 AM
What I dont get is, what was so hard to believe that. Its not like the first time GL messed about with scenes in OT, and this change seemed excactly like something Lucas could do. What made it even more absurd, those were footage from a DVD rip, why in the name of the Force would anyone put in a scene like that in a DVD rip. Only Lucas could be so sadistic to impose such nightmares on the SW fans.. :p

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:40:29 AM
Only Lucas could be so sadistic to impose such nightmares on the SW fans..

Which, despite the fact I'd rather like the Trilogy on DVD, is a reason there is no way I'm paying for it until it's the originals.

What's so hard these days about releasing an originals version as well as an SE and let the fans decide whcih one to buy? To me, it would increase sales and foster good will. The LOTR DVD releases prove the success of such a strategy.

(Okay, it also helps the EE editions of LOTR are serious improvements on the theatrical - besides the point)

It really sucks that you have to resort to copyright violations to get a copy of the originals now that isnt second hand.

JMK
Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:02:35 AM
I picked it up yesterday and popped in ANH. I was impressed with how good it looked, but more impressed with how good it sounded.

As far as the specifics:Jabba looks much much better, Greedo shooting first isn't as offensive as it once was. I was disappointed that the stormtroopers voices were not changed, as it still leaves the clone debate open. I didn't find that the lightsabers were all that well redone. And as far as I can tell, I didn't notice one bit of improvement with the garbage monster, except *maybe* some extra sound FX.

Overall I'm overjoyed that I can finally watch these on DVD.

ESB and RotJ next!

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:29:44 AM
Well Marcus, Lucas says it his movies. He hates the originals. Watch Empire of Dreams, it comes across very well there. He says he is an artist and he will always ticker with his work. You might have a long wait for the originals. I bet he will never release them while he is alive. Now after he is dead who knows. For me it doesn't matter I prefer the SE editions. The FX are a lot better in some scenes.

Jarek T'chort
Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:36:40 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Telcontar
Which, despite the fact I'd rather like the Trilogy on DVD, is a reason there is no way I'm paying for it until it's the originals.

What's so hard these days about releasing an originals version as well as an SE and let the fans decide whcih one to buy? To me, it would increase sales and foster good will. The LOTR DVD releases prove the success of such a strategy.

(Okay, it also helps the EE editions of LOTR are serious improvements on the theatrical - besides the point)

It really sucks that you have to resort to copyright violations to get a copy of the originals now that isnt second hand.

I agree, as much as I like the trilogy, I really don't feel like paying out cash for them, what with the tampering. I understand the need to change the sound and such, which is fine, but key scenes and voices? I don't like that.

I have seen the Emperor scene from ESB, which frankly seems bad to me, the new dialouge is pretty poor imo. Not to mention the adding of Christensen. I have no love for the Prequels and would rather enjoy the movies I like as I remember them, without having to see the Prequel crap added into the classic trilogy.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 22nd, 2004, 08:03:18 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Well Marcus, Lucas says it his movies. He hates the originals. Watch Empire of Dreams, it comes across very well there. He says he is an artist and he will always ticker with his work. You might have a long wait for the originals. I bet he will never release them while he is alive. Now after he is dead who knows. For me it doesn't matter I prefer the SE editions. The FX are a lot better in some scenes.

It's the fans that made his work remembered and famous. Without the fans his artistry would mean exactly zero. They became part of culture and as such, they left his control. They are no longer just 'his' movies, but they are the fans, who spend so much time, love and money devoted to them. He cant just pretend the originals dont exist or wish them away.

The FX are a lot better in some scenes.

Better FX != better movie or even movie experience. In some cases, it can be a distinct disadvantage. What was wrong with a 70's moive having cutting edge 70's effects? Oh, they dont seem so good today?

.... And? What's wrong with that? Do we all say the 1933 King Kong sucks cause it has 1933 effects?

And I have to as again and anyone who has a good answer is free to reply - why can't the SE and the Originals be released and the fans choose what they want?

Nathanial K'cansce
Sep 22nd, 2004, 08:33:03 AM
.... And? What's wrong with that? Do we all say the 1933 King Kong sucks cause it has 1933 effects?

Why do you think they are doing King Kong again? :p

And I have to as again and anyone who has a good answer is free to reply - why can't the SE and the Originals be released and the fans choose what they want?

I don't think there is a good answer to that, or at least one you will like. I agree that both Origional and SuperUltimate SE should have been released on DVD. I mean, they did that with E.T. But, Lucas does have the right to his baby (after all, he did create the darn thing from his mind and taking/changing ideas to so that they became his own) to do what he wants to it, and the right to say "poopy on you." I wouldn't be surprised, like Carr said, if the origionals would be released after Lucas is gone. But if and when that happens, who knows. Could take a long time, and by then, SW might not be the forefront of many geeks' minds. And any further push of the OT, to me, will just seem like more greedy money gathering, over milking the money cow, etc.

Of course, that's just what *I* think.

JMK
Sep 22nd, 2004, 09:05:17 AM
As much as I want to see the originals on DVD, I don't hold it against Lucas for wanting ONE definitive version of his story out there. That's his decision alone. He created it and breathed life into it. The fans have carried the torch all these years, but I'm not sure what the *really* entitles them (us) to.

We begged and pleaded for TPM to go to DVD, and they did it.
We begged and pleaded for the OT on DVD, and against strong opposition from Lucasfilm, they did it.

Now some are sitting cross legged on the ground pouting that it isn't the release they wanted. Well, I do feel the frustration, but you've either got to sack up and accept it or continue whining....and given Lucasfilm's track record of giving in to whining, you just may get it...though it doesn't look good.

imported_QuiGonJ
Sep 22nd, 2004, 09:14:36 AM
Yes, but seeing at least one gaffe where Luke's saber is green! in the first shot on the Falcon and not all the matte lines are fixed, and the audio error on Tarkin, it is abundantly clear this is NOT the final version of the films. I am absolutely certain he's still planning a "Definitive Edition" set after Episode III, but according to The Flannelled One on CNN, he's only doing this cause the pirated discs were selling so well, and this is just to protect his income stream and not for the art of it.

The Luke saber thing is all the worse since his saber is the correct color when used as a motion menu on the bonus disc. These aren't design decisions, they are mistakes.

And oddly enough, I agree with Marcus on the original film issue. To say the originals don't exist is like saying "Here's your colorizing, now shut up cause we are not releasing a black and white anything". If Lucas understood that enough to gripe on 3 Stooges being colorized as "damaging his childhood memories", then why is he so stubborn about our childhoods?

[fixed spelling]

Master Yoghurt
Sep 22nd, 2004, 09:21:50 AM
Even though its good to see the OT in the sound and video quality as the DVD format provides, I dont think for a single micro second these are the final versions. You better believe there are going to be gold editions, platinum editions, ultimate editions etc.

One evidence of this, there are footage and deleted scenes not included in this set, which very obviously could have been included. Why are there not in? Because theire planned for future release of course.

JMK
Sep 22nd, 2004, 09:24:40 AM
I noticed that too Qui Gon (regarding Luke's green saber on the Falcon). That is terrible. There no doubt will be more tinkering with these films, including more links to the prequels I'd bet.

Jinn Fizz
Sep 22nd, 2004, 10:28:37 AM
Although I do believe a large number of people go way overboard in their criticism of George Lucas (not here, but at other websites, like Rotten Tomatoes), I do have to say he really is starting to leave me disillusioned. He can talk about his "artistic rights" all he wants, but it comes down to nothing more than $$$$. His Force is profit, plain and simple.

And rest assured, yes, there will be at least one more more "definitive" DVD release at some point, with more tinkering and more "fixes." Even Ben Burtt jokes about it in the When Star Wars Ruled The World special on VH1 (which, if you haven't seen it, is actually a lot of fun). So start saving your pennies now, folks.

Jinn Fizz
Sep 22nd, 2004, 10:31:59 AM
Better FX != better movie or even movie experience. In some cases, it can be a distinct disadvantage. What was wrong with a 70's moive having cutting edge 70's effects? Oh, they dont seem so good today?

Yeah, to suggest that better visual effects automatically makes a better movie is a whole lotta horse manure.

The 1933 version of King Kong still ROCKS. The remake done in the 70's was supposed to be better, 'cause it had a big ol' life size animatronic Kong and whatnot. And it turned out to be one of the biggest turkeys of the decade. So I'm not at all excited about yet another remake. Gimme Fay Wray and her shrieking anyday over new-fangled remakes.

JMK
Sep 22nd, 2004, 10:48:01 AM
I'll agree on one point - Lucas is doing this for profit, no doubts there. If there was no money to be made, there would not be this many re-releases and revamps. They can hide behind the 'artisitic eccentricities' all he wants, but there's too much money at stake to not issue re- release after re-release.

If there is any 'artistic merit' to keep on tinkering with the movies, it's not to update the effects so that they don't look dated, but rather to help complete the story closer to what Lucas thinks is complete.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:12:33 AM
Well Lucas is never happy I guess and it his right. I know Michangelo for example was never happy with his work. He went on for years on the Sixtine Chapel and the Church had to force him to stop. It his right though can't deny it. And true there will be one more version at least I expect some six pack version down the road. This might be five years away or something. Of course most of us SW fans will buy it.

Jacen Parami
Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:39:49 AM
*just finished watching Ep VI*

:o

HOW DARE THEY!!!

I thought the Hayden thing was a prank thing. But they actually did it! How come Obi Wan and Yoda look how they did when they died, but Anakin looks how he does in Ep 3? Or are they saying that the point Anakin became Vader is when he "died"? If thats what Lucas thinks, he deserves a good slap. Vader under the mask was not played Hayden Christiansen. Ergo, Anakin should not be.

Also, the fact that Vader and Luke's lightsabers clip through each other in the throne room duel is glaringly obvious. Granted, I was keeping half an eye out for it...but damn, that looked crap.

At least there wasn't an aged Jar Jar. That would have totally sucked.

On the plus-side, I now know what Tycho Celchu looks like. :D I knew he was flying the A-Wing that went into the Death Star but, unless someone else was using the call sign "Red Two" (Tycho is Rogue Two), some guy was actually cast to play Tycho. He says something like "I'm on him", to which Wedge replies (after the fighter gets blown up) "Good shot Red Two". Also, thinking about it, I think the same guy spoke at an earlier point in the battle...near the beginning. He's wearing one of the helmets with ear bits, and a green flight suit. I don't have a DVD drive/player hooked up to my computer, unfortunately...is there anyone who could do me a massive favour and try and get me a screen shot of Tycho? Thanks!

Jacen Parami
Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:49:47 AM
Well Lucas is never happy I guess and it his right. I know Michangelo for example was never happy with his work. He went on for years on the Sixtine Chapel and the Church had to force him to stop. It his right though can't deny it. And true there will be one more version at least I expect some six pack version down the road. This might be five years away or something. Of course most of us SW fans will buy it.

I for one won't buy a six pack version, unless they make it really good. I only bought the DVDs because I have no other copy of Star Wars. The fact that the original trilogy DVDs are in silver, and the prequel trilogy ones are in gold means that they'll match. I'm one of those obsessive people who likes matching sets of things. When Ep 3 comes out, I'll have a nice row of Episodes 1-6 on my shelf, and something else stuck at the end. The only thing that would make me re-buy Episodes 1-3 is if they had a Bonus Material disc with it. Mind you, the SF's on the prequel trilogy are pretty good...they won't be able to add all that much. Hmm. I'll see if/when it comes out...

imported_QuiGonJ
Sep 22nd, 2004, 12:28:21 PM
yes, but Michelangelo didn't keep charging people to see his changes. I agree with whoever said they wish George would stop billing people for his latest work prints. :p

Syren Wyssholt
Sep 22nd, 2004, 12:32:45 PM
I have to say that I enjoy reading these reads and I loathe them at the same time. For me, curiousity kills the cat so I find that (most of the time) I have to read them simply to satisfy my wonder of what others think and feel about things. I'm guilty of nitpicking things too ;), but I have to to say only this about the new release of the trilogies on DVD.

Cyrel picked them up from work the other night and I was as giddy as a school girl! I couldn't wait to pop in ANH and watch it, to go back and relive my youth ( I was seven when I first seen ANH at the drive-in theater) and to feel the excitement all over again.

As soon as the music began and the marquee began to scroll up the screen, all the excitement of being a seven year old seeing something for the first time returned. I got goosebumps and it was hard to pull my attention from the screen. (Unfortunately, I had to. Sleep was demanded so I wouldn't fall over dead at work at 2 am :rolleyes ).

Cyrel and I were laughing, proclaiming the fact that yes, we are nerds when it comes to SW. We were making our own little comments at certain points in the film. We even noted that whiny-ness runs in the Skywalker family. Anakin was a whiner, C3PO is a whiner and Luke is perhaps the biggest whiner of them all :lol Atleast continuity remained where that was concerned.

Cyrel and I really enjoyed the enhancements in the film. (We haven't had a chance to see the other two films or the other discs in the set for that matter). I did like the fact that they at least now have it where Han and Greedo shoot simultaneously. Cyrel did state that he still feels Han should have just shot Greedo first and been done with it. I think I agree with him.

I like how crisp and clear the film looks. I like the improved coloring and I liked the changes they made with the hologram of the Emperor. If I'm not mistaken, they added some dialogue to that part as well, which was decent, imho.

I don't think I'll like seeing Hayden's face superimposed over Anakin/Vader's at the end of ROTJ. I think that is a slap in the face to David Prowse (I think that's whom it was originally, not sure) and it's not like everyone doesn't already know that Hayden was the teenage Anakin/Vader. And though we haven't seen that just yet on the DVD's, I don't understand why they'd do it in the first place.

Yoda didn't look youthful in that scene. (Of course, I suppose if in 'death' one reverts back to their youth and Yoda's youth is considered to be around the age of say 400, one wouldn't look very youthful still :lol) Originally, the image of Anakin looked as he did the day he died. Why would anyone look younger upon death? (Or did they computer enhance Hayden's face to make him look that much older?)

Don't answer that! I'll find out when we watch it. :D

Anyways, that's my rather simple statement on the newly released DVD's. (We'll watch the other ones this week)

[Edit Note] Fingers move faster than the brain :\

JMK
Sep 22nd, 2004, 12:50:02 PM
How come Obi Wan and Yoda look how they did when they died, but Anakin looks how he does in Ep 3? Or are they saying that the point Anakin became Vader is when he "died"? If thats what Lucas thinks, he deserves a good slap.

That's pretty much the consensus right now...though I would argue that once Vader kills the Emperor, he is no longer Vader and had reverted back to being Anakin and should be pictured as he under the helmet - all messed up.

yes, but Michelangelo didn't keep charging people to see his changes.

That may be true, but let's be honest, who's to blame here? He makes changes, re-issues the movies, but who makes the conscious decision to buy them? We do of course, and no one makes us do it. If sales of a set of SW movies were dismal, Lucas would seriously reconsider his strategy.

Jinn Fizz
Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:11:08 PM
As PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute. :p

Hey, I'm not totally thrilled by the whole thing, but I paid The Man my 40-some bucks to get the set because I wanted the commentaries and the bonus material. So of course this, and further sets, will sell like galactic hotcakes. Because I'll give The Man this major super-duper credit: he definitely knows how to market his baby. There is absolutely no doubt about that. Leave them wanting more, or at least know how to market the whole "new and improved!" versions, and to paraphrase another quote from another movie, market it correctly, and they will come!!! Lucas knows how to do this ever-so-well...I can't think of any other franchise that's done quite this spectacularly. And since it's all profit-driven, then Lucas is getting what he wants. In lots of Brinks trucks pulling up to Skywalker Ranch.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:45:00 PM
David Prowse got his slap in the face when Lucas didn't use his voice as Darth Vader. Watch Empire of Dreams on the bonus disk and you'll know why. :lol the man has a ridiculous voice.

The man replaced by Christensen as the 'spirit Anakin' was Sebastian Shaw.

JMK
Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:26:13 PM
David Prowse was really pissed when they didn't use his voice, but he was equally as angry when they didn't use his face in RotJ, so much so that if I remember my conversation well, he sort of 'held out' during filming of RotJ. When they needed someone to pitch Ian MacDiarmid over the balcony, they wasted take after take trying to get it right. Once someone (I don't remember who) got Prowse to get back in the suit, they rolled cameras, Prowse picked up MacDiarmid and threw him over the side - all in one take. Good story. :D

Syren Wyssholt
Sep 22nd, 2004, 03:20:05 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
David Prowse got his slap in the face when Lucas didn't use his voice as Darth Vader. Watch Empire of Dreams on the bonus disk and you'll know why. :lol the man has a ridiculous voice.

The man replaced by Christensen as the 'spirit Anakin' was Sebastian Shaw.

Cyrel and I plan to watch it over the next two days (Thurs - Fri) because I don't work those nights and I'll actually get to stay awake for all of it, :lol. I saw earlier that some said the Empire of Dreams in the DVD set is longer than what was shown on that A & E special. I look forward to seeing it.

Ah, Shaw; thanks, Lil. All of the names that get tossed around for one character and it confuzzles me to the point of not really knowing whom is whom anymore ;)

I can't blame David Prowse for being a bit ticked off (to state it mildly). However, if he simply didn't have the voice for the character then I don't think he really has a right to get ticked. Vader had to sound scary! Imposing and commanding. If he has a whiney, high-pitched voice ... Though, Vader on helium - that might be kind of funny to hear :D

I suppose Lucas and his people perhaps could have just told Prowse something along the lines of -

"Look. You fit the physical physique we're looking for in Vader. But, your voice isn't deep enough so we'll be using an actor to voice over for the film."

Dunno.

I just enjoy the films and the books a lot. It's a never-ending story and its nice to feel the magic that was instilled into a seven year old little girl again :)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 22nd, 2004, 03:21:41 PM
Originally posted by QuiGonJ
yes, but Michelangelo didn't keep charging people to see his changes. I agree with whoever said they wish George would stop billing people for his latest work prints. :p

Heh true, he did charge the church. His constant changes on the Sixtine chapel held it up for years costing the church a lot of money, but that is a different matter. I just watched ANH. Overall, I like the changes in that one. The Han-Greedo thing is better than the SE, no question there. Still, doesn't look right. I like the new Jabba he looks better. The biggest problem I have is the green lightsaber goof the person that let that slip should be fired.

Charley
Sep 22nd, 2004, 10:21:50 PM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
As PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute. :p

He didn't, actually.

JMK
Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:48:48 AM
If you're going to shoot someone down, the least you could do is offer the correct answer.

Jinn Fizz
Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:42:33 AM
Okay, so as was mistakenly attributed to PT Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Whatever.

darth_mcbain
Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:46:58 AM
I just got mine last night. I was only able to watch the Ep III preview and the opening 15 minutes or so from ANH, but so far I'm really liking what I see.

First off - widescreen = YAY!!! I had been stuck with the formatted versions for a long time - finally I get to see these in their widescreen glory again. Awesome!

Everything seemed so much clearer, and watching the Star Destroyer pass overhead took me back to the first time I saw these movies... The scene where Princess Leia is giving Artoo the message struck me as being very clear - I'm sure a lot of cleanup work went into this.

So far I haven't noticed too much different (thought again, I've only had a chance to watch a little bit) - the stun blast that the stormtrooper used on Princess Leia seems to have been updated and looked pretty good. Did they change the voices of the stormtroopers to be done by Temuera Morrison? If so, I didn't detect any difference.

I'm actually kind of excited about some of the changes. I definitely see both points of view in that I want the originals too, but what the hey, I still have the originals on VHS when I want to stroll down memory lane. Though I would like to see a rerelease of the originals, it bugs me how much cr@p GL is getting for not releasing them. It's his movie - let him do with it what he wants - being ultra fans doesn't entitle us to have any creative control over what he does. And it seems like nowadays its the cool thing to rip on GL. You know, no matter what he did we wouldn't have been happy. If he did re-release them, people would be accusing him of just trying to rake in more $$$ with yet another release. Just leave the guy alone and let him make his movies...

Anyway - rant over - I'm looking forward to watching the rest of these - I've been impressed so far.

darth_mcbain
Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:49:10 AM
Originally posted by Darth McBain
Did they change the voices of the stormtroopers to be done by Temuera Morrison? If so, I didn't detect any difference.

Actually, I just re-read the thread that had the list of changes and they changed Boba Fett's voice, and not the Stormtroopers... Hmm, if they are all clones, wouldn't they all have the same voice? Oh well, my bad...

JMK
Sep 23rd, 2004, 09:05:58 AM
Gotta leave room to change for the next release(s)....

Nathanial K'cansce
Sep 23rd, 2004, 09:49:06 AM
Actually, I just re-read the thread that had the list of changes and they changed Boba Fett's voice, and not the Stormtroopers... Hmm, if they are all clones, wouldn't they all have the same voice? Oh well, my bad...

Thus, why someoen earlier mentioned the whole theory that not all stormtroopers might be clones. ;)

darth_mcbain
Sep 23rd, 2004, 10:16:39 AM
Originally posted by Nathanial K'cansce
Thus, why someoen earlier mentioned the whole theory that not all stormtroopers might be clones. ;)

Certainly a valid theory - I'd think most are clones, but I don't see why the Empire wouldn't recruit non-clones for Stormtroopers.

JMK
Sep 23rd, 2004, 10:30:21 AM
Anyone else get the feeling that Lucas doesn't know the answer either - and that he's making this up as he goes along? :p

Jacen Parami
Sep 23rd, 2004, 12:17:34 PM
WOW.

I just watched the Ep III preview. Its mostly about making the Vader costume, but DAMN, the Obi-Ani fight looks like its gonna be cool!

JMK
Sep 23rd, 2004, 12:27:55 PM
Yeah it does. It appears as though Christensen is really going to LOOK like he's falling from grace and giving in to the dark side, which is really important IMO.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 23rd, 2004, 03:55:38 PM
Yeah I liked the look of that scene too. Also it looks the DVD took in record sales

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 22, 2004--Shattering all records for entertainment franchise spending in a single day, STAR WARS fans around the world have spent more than $115,000,000 on in-home STAR WARS entertainment. Single day sales for the most requested DVDs of all time, the STAR WARS TRILOGY, combined with the release of the new STAR WARS Battlefront videogame have set yet another benchmark for the most popular entertainment franchise in the world. This phenomenal achievement will continue as the DVD debuts in Japan, Australia, Benelux and Mexico, and the LucasArts game launches internationally later this week.
Easily setting a record for the best selling film collection ever released on DVD, the STAR WARS films boasts global box office performance in excess of $3.4 billion, not adjusted for inflation. Worldwide home entertainment sales for the STAR WARS franchise stand at more than 125 million units inception to date.

STAR WARS Episode IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi are available in a four-disc set that includes a bonus disc filled with all-new special features -- including the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced about the STAR WARS saga and never-before-seen footage from the making of all three films. Each of the three films in the STAR WARS TRILOGY has been digitally restored and re-mastered by THX for superior sound and picture quality.

The films of the STAR WARS TRILOGY are available exclusively as a collection and feature Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX. All three films are closed-captioned and subtitled in English, French and Spanish in the U.S. Internationally, sound and subtitling specifications will vary by territory.

Star Wars Battlefront is an action/shooter game that gives fans and gamers the opportunity to re-live and participate in all of the classic Star Wars battles like never before. Players can select one of a number of different soldier types, jump into any vehicle, man any turret on the battlefront and conquer the galaxy planet-by-planet online with their friends or offline in a variety of single player modes. Single player modes include "Instant Action," "Galactic Conquest" and the story-based "Historical Campaigns" mode that lets gamers experience all of the epic Star Wars battles from Episodes I-VI, fighting from the perspective of each of the four factions within the game. The game is available for the PlayStation2 computer entertainment system, Xbox video game system from Microsoft and the PC.

More than 7,000 pages of information about the Star Wars saga can be found at http://www.starwars.com.

Lucasfilm Ltd. is one of the world's leading film and entertainment companies. Founded by George Lucas in 1971, it is a privately held, fully integrated entertainment company. In addition to its motion picture and television productions, the company's global businesses include Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound; LucasArts Entertainment; Lucas Licensing; and Lucas Online. Lucasfilm's feature films have won 19 Oscars and its television projects have won 12 Emmy Awards.

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment International are operating units of Fox Filmed Entertainment, a News Corporation Company.

It will easily be the biggest 3 pack ever that is sure. Heck it could end up being top 5 in DVD sales this year.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 23rd, 2004, 04:08:19 PM
Damn, I was hoping to be the first with that news.

:p

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-09/23/10.00.film

Charley
Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:52:48 PM
Originally posted by JMK
If you're going to shoot someone down, the least you could do is offer the correct answer.

It isn't a case of somebody else of prominence saying it. It was always erroneously attributed to Barnum. Kinda like how Captain Kirk never said "Beam me up, Scotty."

Anyway, back on topic...am I the only one who noticed that Oola now has a digital pasty on her nipple when she comes out of her fishnet top? O_o

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:03:18 PM
It will easily be the biggest 3 pack ever that is sure. Heck it could end up being top 5 in DVD sales this year.

That's not all that impressive. Actually, reading between the lines of the press release, there is an awful lot of spin doctoring. It sounds impressive, but it's in spin speak, so it has to be treated with caution.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:21:21 PM
That is a huge amount of sales, IMO. It has sold like 10 times what the next biggest pack movie has in it's first day and that was Indiana Jones. No question will it be the #three pack movie that seems given. Question is where will it end up in total sales.

imported_QuiGonJ
Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:03:59 PM
Marcus, it still outsold LOTR ... just deal. :p

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:39:27 PM
Originally posted by QuiGonJ
Marcus, it still outsold LOTR ... just deal. :p

If the total quoted is total DVD sales only, you have somethign like 1.7 million sets. These days, that's not all that high. But as it included games and maybe other items, that figure is quite a bit lower, maybe 1 million units. That's definantly not too remarkable. As a collection, I can believe it's done very well, but with real data not given and comparision data hard to get, it's hard to really know whether it's really somethign to be joyous about.

(And note, I didnt say a word about if the Collection beat LOTR - I was drawing attention to the fact the press release is really light on detail and more spin than fact)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:44:34 PM
The game is included in that figure the way I read it. Not sure why they threw in there though. It's going to slaugher all over DVD sets (BTTF, INDY, Die Hard, Godfather, etc) what is not to be joyous about?

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:54:11 PM
The game is included in that figure the way I read it. Not sure why they threw in there though. It's going to slaugher all over DVD sets (BTTF, INDY, Die Hard, Godfather, etc) what is not to be joyous about?

As I said, lets have some real data instead of a spun out press release with a big unverified number. Can anyone actually point some hard data my way, or somewhere that actually tracks and collates DVD sales?

Charley
Sep 23rd, 2004, 09:07:35 PM
Wow, the video quality on this stuff is absolutely amazing. I never really gave DVD much credit for vaulting the quality beyond expectations, but having been relegated to SW on VHS for so long, it feels like I've been watching black & white all my life and just got a taste of technicolor.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 23rd, 2004, 09:11:59 PM
As I said, lets have some real data instead of a spun out press release with a big unverified number. Can anyone actually point some hard data my way, or somewhere that actually tracks and collates DVD sales?

Real data for DVD is almost impossible. The studios never release full numbers, they are trying to hide their real profits more than likely. All we will get is how many it sold its first week after that you be lucky to find any numbers.

imported_QuiGonJ
Sep 23rd, 2004, 10:42:14 PM
Yahoo story via E! Online (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=794&ncid=762&e=6&u=/eo/20040923/en_movies_eo/14996)

They have it figured to 2.5 million sets for the first day, far short of Nemo's 8 million, but since it cost 3-4 times as much, it's still impressive.

Hettrick says the box set won't sell nearly as many units as the year's other top-selling release, The Passion, mainly because the latter is priced cheaper--it can be had for as little as $12 a copy.

"There's no way a set of titles with four discs is going to sell as many copies at about $40 as that film," says Hettrick. But, he adds, with the holidays approaching, the Star Wars set "could get into the $300 million range which could rank it one of the top five titles of the year. And if you include all the different versions over the years, it's by far and away the top-selling franchise of all time."

Syren Wyssholt
Sep 24th, 2004, 01:56:52 AM
Star Wars: Dork Tower (http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/dorktower/)

imported_QuiGonJ
Sep 24th, 2004, 07:18:22 AM
o_O :rollin :lol :lol :lol

darth_mcbain
Sep 24th, 2004, 08:23:37 AM
:lol pretty good...

Jinn Fizz
Sep 24th, 2004, 09:55:09 AM
uh oh, I guess I'd better be careful about opening my front door anytime soon.... :cool

AmazonBabe
Sep 24th, 2004, 04:19:25 PM
Joe and I pre-ordered the DVD from Best Buy so we could get the free copy of R2-D2 Beneath The Dome mocumentary. It prob won't come in until the weekend.

As for Battlefront... the day it went on sale was the day Joe bought it. I knew there was no way he'd miss out on that (he would have gotten me a copy, but the store only had one copy left when he got there after work... so i get mine this weekend.)

Jedieb
Sep 24th, 2004, 06:18:43 PM
I spent the first couple of nights with the bonus disc. I saw ANH last night and was blown away by how GORGEOUS it all looked. Man, I can't wait 'till I can upgrade our current family TV to get an even better picture. NY and Boston will probably keep me from watching Empire tonight, but I'm really looking forward to sitting down and watching a non girly scream ESB with the new scene from Ian. I'm not that jacked about the ROTJ changes. It's not so much the Jedi Spirits change as both the new musical numbers (Jabba's Palace and the new Endor Celebration). I didn't like them the first time around and I'm not looking forward to even more tinkering with Jedi.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 24th, 2004, 06:26:19 PM
The bonus disc is cool - but someone mentioned a blooper reel? I can't find it if there is one. After the characters featurette, while the credits run, there are two pretty funny scenes shown, one being 3PO and R2 watching the Ewoks fight the stormtroopers in a ditch area, and the director says "shout encouragement!" and 3PO shouts "beat the *rhymes with hit* out of them!"

Lady Vader
Sep 24th, 2004, 07:00:58 PM
Blooper reel? For real? COOL!

It might be like a hidden easter egg somewhere or something. Quick1 Start pressing buttons and clicking on random images!

Figrin D'an
Sep 24th, 2004, 07:09:51 PM
The blooper reel is accessed the same way the ones on the TPM and AOTC discs are.

- Go the Video Games and Still Galleries section

- 11, then enter
- 3, then enter
- 8, then enter.

You'll see a little box next to R2 light up green, and the reel will start.

Lady Vader
Sep 24th, 2004, 07:38:23 PM
Easter egg! ^_^

Jedieb
Sep 24th, 2004, 08:02:37 PM
I had to load it up on my PC to find the blooper reel. I kept trying 11, 3, then 8 but I just couldn't get it to work. On my PC I was able to click on a small container next to R2 and that started the blooper reel.

imported_QuiGonJ
Sep 24th, 2004, 08:21:24 PM
I have to say I watched the final scene of Jedi last night, and I didn't find it so bad in context... I still can't figure out what the hell they were thinking on the green saber shot in ANH, but other than that, I am happy I have the discs.

ReaperFett
Sep 24th, 2004, 08:21:49 PM
Just to slightly correct Figrin, people are finding different ways, but it is always a variation of 1138. Mine was 11, then 38.

Figrin D'an
Sep 24th, 2004, 08:44:46 PM
Yeah, it'll vary depending upon your player. 1,1,3,8; 11,3,8; 11,38; just try all sorts of combinations until you find one that works.

It's similar with accessing it on a PC. Some DVD playing programs will allow you to click on the little box, and others won't. Depends upon the software you are using.

Jinn Fizz
Sep 24th, 2004, 11:07:12 PM
11,3,8 worked for me just fine. After 11, the box lit up, then I input the other numbers, and voila, it played.

Somehow that climactic moment in ROTJ when Vader lifts the Emperor into the air just won't be the same after this, though. :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 25th, 2004, 07:25:45 PM
Yeah Qui-Gon, Lucas should fire that person. I think it is the same thing with Vader's saber in ROTJ, it is the wrong color red at certain moments. Not sure who did the DVD transfer but I wouldn't go with them again. About the ROTJ changes, I loved the Naboo addition it is cool to see in context of greater scope of the film. The Jedi spirt thing is going to be one that is going to take me a while. I am actually okay with it, as I guess it does fit with the whole six picture deal. Just hope that Lucas don't add Mace, Qui-Gon and all the other jedi down the road though :p

Aiden Xaar
Sep 25th, 2004, 07:39:54 PM
Green saber shot in ANH? I missed that...

Easter Eggs...which I didn't know about? !!!!!

*starts up the dvd player* Must...find...quickly...

Edit:

:lol YAY!

GO BOBA!!!!

Jinn Fizz
Sep 25th, 2004, 11:10:29 PM
Watched ANH today, and I wasn't very impressed with the new Jabba...I mean, he was well-done, but he was so obviously CGI, and he just didn't fit in with the rest of the scene. I dunno if that makes sense, but overall I found that change underwhelming. Plus, I've always felt that the addition of that scene was a waste anyways...completely redundant dialogue, almost the same conversation Han had with Greedo. Oh well.

And what was that with the one added bit of dialogue when the stormtroopers are leaving the Falcon after it's captured by the Death Star? "There's no one here!" or something to that effect? Yikes.

But overall, yes, ANH hasn't looked this beautiful since...well, since never. And I heard sounds I swear I've never, ever heard before. I'm glad now that my old TV crapped out about a year ago and I sprang for a flat-screen TV. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 26th, 2004, 01:41:18 AM
I thought that they have always said that bit of dialogue in ANH, but maybe I should watch it again... :huh

Christopher Munro
Sep 26th, 2004, 06:47:27 AM
They have...there was always no one there, I think. That was your clue to see that they'd hidden successfully...to see that the Imps had temporarily given up the search, and that Han & co had a chance to escape. Could've confuzzled the little children if it hadn't been there.

Jinn Fizz
Sep 26th, 2004, 01:10:53 PM
I just pulled out my ripped laserdisc copies and checked the scene, and nope, that line of dialogue isn't in the original version. The one stormtrooper walks past the camera, over the deckplates, and meets the other stormtrooper at the head of the ramp. They acknowledge each other silently, then walk down the ramp. In this new DVD version, one says something like, "There's no one here!" before they walk down the ramp. Perhaps that line of dialogue was actually added for the special edition in '97, I can't remember, but it wasn't in the original '77 release.

*whew* I was afraid I had just totally embarrassed myself. :cool

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 26th, 2004, 03:04:12 PM
I remember it both ways, you're right. I think it was added to the SE, because that's the only copy I've seen recently.

Dan the Man
Sep 26th, 2004, 03:09:04 PM
I can confirm its from the first SE.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 26th, 2004, 06:07:01 PM
Yeah I thought it was. I could swore it wasn't new. My brain is just used to the SE I guess :p

darth_mcbain
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:50:01 AM
Is it just me or during the lightsaber duel in ANH, when the sabers clash is there a bright greenish flash? I was half-watching the other night when I was making dinner and I thought I saw some extra flashes when the sabers clashed. If I saw it right, I'm not too big on that addition - it doesn't mesh with the other saber duels we've seen so far...

Nathanial K'cansce
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:58:57 AM
Yeah, my friend and I both were like "what the frell are those yellow blobs!?" when the sabers clashed. It just looks like they tried to do something, messed it up, and said screw it, we'll fix it in a later release.

Figrin D'an
Sep 27th, 2004, 01:46:38 PM
Is it just me or during the lightsaber duel in ANH, when the sabers clash is there a bright greenish flash? I was half-watching the other night when I was making dinner and I thought I saw some extra flashes when the sabers clashed. If I saw it right, I'm not too big on that addition - it doesn't mesh with the other saber duels we've seen so far...

Originally posted by Nathanial K'cansce
Yeah, my friend and I both were like "what the frell are those yellow blobs!?" when the sabers clashed. It just looks like they tried to do something, messed it up, and said screw it, we'll fix it in a later release.

Those green-yellow flashes have always been there, guys, and in all three films. They also show up in the prequels.

JMK
Sep 27th, 2004, 01:57:41 PM
Yeah they have always been there. Maybe it's got something to do with the new found clarity of the DVD release. It's really like watching a movie for the first time.

Nathanial K'cansce
Sep 27th, 2004, 02:09:07 PM
Really? I don't remember them being so globular like. o_O

darth_mcbain
Sep 27th, 2004, 02:20:33 PM
I'll pop in my originals tonight to see. I bet you're right, that they were always there, but due to the clarity they were just not so noticable.

Figrin D'an
Sep 27th, 2004, 04:29:18 PM
Part of the reason they stand out so much in ANH (besides the digital remastering on the DVDs) is that they are much more chaotic in location and timing in the first film. In ESB and ROTJ, and even moreso in TPM and AOTC, the flashes are more controlled and tend to have their focal points actually where the lightsabres contact one another.

They are definitely there, however.

Dan the Man
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:45:33 PM
I love how people are so amped to find something wrong in the DVD's that they're digging up things that aren't even changes in the first place. Nerds will be nerds :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:51:32 PM
Did anyone catch the inclusion of Jar Jar to the Cantina in ANH?? >_< :x

Dan the Man
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:54:47 PM
Uhhh...I don't think it was necessarily Jar Jar but it was definitely a Gungan. To be honest, the scene didn't require it at all. Its just gratuitous. :\

darth_mcbain
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:17:30 PM
I just watched the originals and yes, the flashes are there. Another reason I didn't pick up as much on them until now is that this is the first time (apart from theater viewings) that I've had them in widescreen, and I think they stand out more. They are less visible in the formatted version - but yes, definitely there...

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:21:58 PM
Good grief man, why didn't you buy the widescreen DVD?! Why even bother?! :cry :)

darth_mcbain
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:30:57 PM
Oh - I do have the DVDs in widescreen - and I'm loving 'em... I've had to put up with formatted for far too long... :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:38:29 PM
Oh I mis read.

darth_mcbain
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:40:52 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Did anyone catch the inclusion of Jar Jar to the Cantina in ANH?? >_< :x

Was he in there? I didn't catch it. Did you mean this guy? http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/melas/ He kinda looks somewhat Gungan-ish... If it is, I think they added him for the first SE...

And yeah - widescreens rock!!! :smokin

Jedieb
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:48:29 PM
I had never noticed those on VHS before either. I found myself freeze framing just to make out what they were. It's something that I just never noticed before. It's got to be the clarity of the DVD. Overall, I was very impressed with the new saber effects. They looked great. I've still been too swamped with work, football, and Battlefront to see ESB and Jedi. Is there a problem when Vader tosses Palpy into the shaft?

Arya Ravenwing
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:53:43 PM
No, not that guy, McBain, its nearly hidden behind the Ithorian in the cantina. Such a waste of time, when they could have been fixing the green flashes of the lightsaber on the Millenium Falcon. :rolleyes

darth_mcbain
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:14:38 PM
hmm I'll have to watch again for that...

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:52:09 PM
He could have been there for the SE. I haven't heard mentioned on any of the other SW websites until now. Somebody needs to a freeze frame shot of it and we can find out.

darth_mcbain
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:41:02 PM
Maybe I'm blind, but I'm just not seeing it. Yeah, can someone post a screen-cap?

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 29th, 2004, 08:34:10 PM
Yeah lemme see what I can do

DarthVader_Sith_Lord
Nov 25th, 2004, 04:39:37 PM
Hmm, I just bought the DVD boxset not too long ago. :D But, it required the sacrifice of my Nintendo Gamecube, and all four of its games. But, who needs video games when you have Star Wars?! WHO I ASK YOU?!