PDA

View Full Version : Elder Scrolls IV : Oblivion

Kelt Simoson
Sep 16th, 2004, 11:07:35 AM
Morrowind, that awsome free reign RPG that houses awsome landscape, massive amounts of history and infomation of culture, races and and the world you live in. Gigantic amounts of infomation on arcutecture, allinces and hates, racial diffrences. Its pretty much a real world set in a game, you can pretty much do anything you please in it, anything you like. Be a pauper or a lord, a knight or begger, its up to you.

One of my most loved games of all time. I love the freedom.

Well guess what?

The 4th elder scrolls is on its way and its planned to be 100Xs better. The graphics is set to me much much much better, the freedom even more ammence and the ammount of diverse opertunities larger. And it seems its not just port pads that can help you travel other than boats and giant insects.

From what ive heard from sketchy reports you can hire horses and travel where you like without having to walk. Arcutecture is supposed to be much more colurfull and of course the old favs in Guilds are supposed to return with much more added.

Major diffrences are set.

Unfortunetly the magazine that all the infomation is written in is supposed to be only printed in the US for the time being and infomation on the net is not set to be released untill a few weeks time. Ive gathered what info i can from forume speculation and leaks.

Looking forward to this big time. Visit www.elderscrolls.com for infomation. Anyone with infomation it it gimme a shout id like to hear more on it., this game is so awsomley rock, if TES3 was awsome imagine TES4...:)

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 16th, 2004, 12:01:18 PM
I played some version of Morrowind, I'm not sure which, but for me it was just too open-ended. The landscape was huge, sure, but that meant that I was just running aimlessly for what seemed like ages, without encountering anything. :(

Charley
Sep 16th, 2004, 12:47:26 PM
I hate Morrowind's fighting system. That pretty much turned me off the game.

Travis North
Sep 16th, 2004, 01:08:26 PM
What? Attack/Defend/Cast. It's like realtime almost. I liked it. I'll be sure to check this game out.

Kelt Simoson
Sep 16th, 2004, 03:06:46 PM
Originally posted by Charley
I hate Morrowind's fighting system. That pretty much turned me off the game.

Morrowind TES3, Charley was not all about fighting and killing.

Sure there were many encounters that required you to pull a dagger out or cast a fire ball but to me alot of the game was actually being apart of a civilization within the computer game, i'm sure many Morrowind fans here would agree. Being apart of that culture, exploring the landscape, LIVING 9without sounding to hardcore about it) within the world.

To me morrowind was all about the culture and there was so much to take in, like there is in real life, that it was endless, amazing. You seem to prize yourself soley on the combat, well many would and as the guy above me said, its real time fighting. But as i said about 75 percent of the game was about exploration, and LIVING within Morrowind, in real life you dont go around fighting endlessely unless your a law enforcer of the middle ages.

There are some classes in which you constantly fight an some you dont, some religions in the game you can join and you dont fight at all. You can join a thieves guild thats really not meant for fighting. Its not all about fighting Charley.

Charley
Sep 16th, 2004, 04:14:57 PM
Yeah but if the fighting engine blows and exists in a repetitive and bland kind of action, that makes me not want to play it. You totally misunderstood what I said.

ReaperFett
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:32:15 PM
Daggerfall had horses. That was a good Elder Scrolls game too :D

Drake Shadowstalker
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:50:42 PM
Ugh, Elder Scrolls III was so horrible. It was like playing a MMORPG, only I was by myself. To me that is pretty lame. I can hardly expect my opinion to change on the 4th one.

Kelt Simoson
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:59:00 PM
Its an accuired taiste i guess.

Shawn
Sep 16th, 2004, 07:24:37 PM
Morrowind was a heavily flawed but brilliant game. I've spoken to one of the Devs, who seems to be listening to people's complaints about TES3 and trying to remedy them.

ReaperFett
Sep 17th, 2004, 08:49:33 AM
Originally posted by Shawn
Morrowind was a heavily flawed but brilliant game. I've spoken to one of the Devs, who seems to be listening to people's complaints about TES3 and trying to remedy them.

What were the most common complaints?

Severen Morkonis
Sep 17th, 2004, 09:50:22 AM
I think from my experience alot of the landscape was flawed.

*Loading time between sections on the map was also terrible in some places. In some cases you could be running across country looking for a specific dungion or building, stupidly not saved it and the computer would freeze, attempt to load up the next section of land so you could continue running, fail and switch off the game. (Those who have played Morrowind know what i mean by loading time across country).

I think the loading time when traverling on foot across country needs to be sorted out.

*I think the guild system needs to be sorted also, the guilds were so easy to complete and so anti-climax when you became its leader that somtimes you wondered if it was worth bothering to do it at all. The only guilds i thought were well done were the 3 political Houses that you could join and eventually create strongholds from.. But even that was slighty anti-climax, i would like to see quests being given even after you have become the guilds leader.

*Being a mage/assassin most of the time in Morrowind i found that the magic system was reasonibly good. The alchemy was an awsome thing to add within the game and the enchantment was also good, as an assassin i learned these skills of potion making to keep myself invisible and so forth and enchanting to keep my weapons up to date. So the magic and skills were, in my opinion, unflawed, the fighting style however was, as charley said, pretty lame.

The hits were ether a over arm hit, a strike hit or a sweep hit. that was it. They need a hell of alot more fight manovas in there, or perhaps a few diffrent fighting styles to choose from like Outcast had at a flick of a button.

Other than that and the fact that i enjoyed the game so much i over looked alot of it i found the rest very impressive, i will load the game up now and play it for a day or two and try and play open mind like to find some problems.

Shawn
Sep 17th, 2004, 06:38:27 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
What were the most common complaints? The list is a mile long, really. The combat system was pretty terrible. You just click a bunch and hope to connect. It got boring real fast, especially with the constant cliffracers.

All of the quests in the game basically involved you playing errand boy for someone else, even when you're a demi-god in the game. Some (many) of the quests would just tell you to go somewhere, without ever specifically saying where that was. Finding the four Ashlander tribes without a strategy guide was an excercise in futility.

The NPC AI and behaviour wasn't very good. They'd stand around in the same place, day or night. They often wouldn't account for actions you've already done, and just generally seemed like inanimate drones, as opposed to living people.

Travelling was tedious. The Silt Striders/Boats/Mage's Guilds/whatever else helped, but they really should have included some form of fast transportation (ie, horses or something similar) in addition to the teleporting stuff.

Still, despite all that, I managed to love it. There's not many games that let you wander into a random person's house and steal everything that isn't bolted down. Or decide to kill that NPC who's been bothering you the whole game. For fun, when I was maybe level 10 or so in the game, I broke into Vivec's chamber, drank as much Sujamma as I could carry and backstabbed him. Not many games let you kill their god-like figures. :)

Jared Mriad
Sep 17th, 2004, 08:29:35 PM
Another perk of Morrowind that I found appeasing was the complete open-customation that someone could do to the game itself just by opening up the Editor and knowing a little about how to work it. Didn't like how the swords stats were? Change it. Didn't like how the armor looked, or wanted your own custom armor? Open up a 3D program and go haywire, then mesh it in to the game!

Not to mention the millions of user-made mods that you can download. There are some really awesome ones out there, for example; M4A!/M16 mesh for a crossbow, Various kit-rae weapons, Japanese-style armor and clothing, new races, new landmasses.