PDA

View Full Version : You Can Shoot Ewoks!!!!!

Ka' el Darcverse
Sep 16th, 2004, 09:55:49 AM
I know I know this goes in the Gaming Section, but in Star Wars: Battlefront, you can shoot EWOKS!!!!!!! A commercial for the game just showed an Imperial Sniper (yes, I know that is an oxymoron) blowing away an ewok! Now if you'll excuse me I have to change my pants I'm so excited.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 16th, 2004, 11:43:49 AM
Thread moved. :D

Travis North
Sep 16th, 2004, 05:08:49 PM
Battlefront and the Trilogy on DVDs all on tha same day. What a combo.

ReaperFett
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:30:49 PM
Relying on gimmicks like that? I'll stick to BF1942, the original :)

Figrin D'an
Sep 16th, 2004, 08:08:31 PM
This does look pretty fun, from what I have seen and read. Shooting Ewoks would be fun, but driving an AT-AT and crushing stuff would be :cool .

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:43:34 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Relying on gimmicks like that? I'll stick to BF1942, the original :)

I doubt they're selling the game solely on the basis that you can pick off Ewoks :mneh

Shawn
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:56:19 AM
Well, they should be!

Charley
Sep 17th, 2004, 05:44:40 AM
Speaking of sadism in games, does anybody remember The Incredible Machine?

I can't even begin to count how many goldfish, mice, and cats shuffled off their mortal coils in the name of SCIENCE :D

They need to make an updated version of that.

Shawn
Sep 17th, 2004, 07:41:03 AM
You should really look into a game called Kagero: Deception II. It's kind of like the Incredible Machine, except you're luring humans into traps.

... ok, it's actually not much like IM. But it's the sadists' game of choice. Deception 3: Dark Delusions is pretty much the same thing, but with updated graphics.

Charley
Sep 17th, 2004, 11:15:05 AM
I've played Kagero. Believe me, I love that game like a fat kid loves cake.

ReaperFett
Sep 24th, 2004, 07:48:33 AM
I managed to get this quite discounted, but I really wish I hadn't bothered.

- Awful AI

- Easy single player

- Possibly the worst internet game search screen ever

- bland teams.

- Flight? It's like trying to control a catapaulted pig!

- The droids don't say "Roger Roger".

From what I can tell, you can play Rebels vs Imperials or CIS vs Clones. That's it. You can't mix them up, it is one or the other. And considering the Clones and Imperials are almost the same, it makes it even worse. Where is the variety? Where is the possibility of Rebels vs CIS or similar? Why is it that you have to fight Gungans, Naboo security, Tuskens and the like, but they didn't bother to make them an online option to play as? It's hardly like they put much variety in the teams, it wouldn't have taken long.

The game does have some highlights. In a trench in Hoth shooting at Snowtroopers, ready to run because that AT-AT is getting close. Hearing the hum of a lightsabre nearby and seeing Vader running at you. But basically, this just feels like a Battlefield 1942 mod, and there is one of them already.

Darth Viscera
Sep 24th, 2004, 01:58:15 PM
Oy. This game is unwieldy. The controls are silly and unintuitive, the maps are too small to fly fighters around in and leave no room to maneuver, and the gameplay feels arcade-ish and imprecise. 30 minutes of remapping the controls and practicing has left me frustrated. Back to Galactic Conquest 0.4 for me.

ReaperFett
Sep 24th, 2004, 03:31:04 PM
The guns are easy to use too. You can kill a guy at range by aiming and holding shoot.

Charley
Oct 12th, 2004, 07:19:25 AM
I'm loving this game. Yes, its pretty much BF1942 with perks, but its incredibly fun. The Battle of Hoth and Geonosis are insanely fulfilling.

I will say that its pretty dang hard to fly in the game though. The ability to speed up and slow down in a dogfight would help a lot.

JMK
Oct 13th, 2004, 08:40:58 AM
I find there's too many freaking grenades and detonators. And some levels are incredibly easy, while others make you pull your hair out. And yes, the ability to speed up and slow down in the ships would help a lot. Overall I'm not terribly impressed with this game. It feels rushed in order to meet the release date of the DVD's.

Charley
Oct 13th, 2004, 10:30:54 AM
Too many grenades and detonators? How do you figure? Seemed pretty balanced as far as that goes.

I do wish that the rocket guys were a little stronger though. You can't kill an AT-ST with a full load of rockets. It takes at least two guys working on it.

Naturally, the single greatest thing about this game is getting two guys into an AT-AT and just beating the crap out of anything and everything.

Shawn
Oct 13th, 2004, 10:59:11 AM
You should give UT2004 a try, Chuck. Vehicle combat is a blast.

I've been meaning to try out Battlefront, but I don't really have the time to split my attention between two online shooters. It's the reason why I haven't picked up Tribes: Vegeance.:\

JMK
Oct 13th, 2004, 12:05:28 PM
Originally posted by Charley
Too many grenades and detonators? How do you figure? Seemed pretty balanced as far as that goes.

I just found that everyone, no matter what team they're on were throwing more grenades than anything.

Another gripe that I have is that the enemy is far too nimble.

Charley
Oct 13th, 2004, 12:09:28 PM
I didn't think many people were overusing grenades at all. They seemed to be put to use exactly when needed. As far as being nimble, they're no moreso than yourself. You can do the crazy dodge too.

JMK
Oct 13th, 2004, 12:29:51 PM
Yes you're right, but I was just hoping for more of a Star Wars feel to the game. Stormtroopers aren't acrobats, never have been. Trying to snipe someone is next to impossible.

Maybe it was just the part of the game I was at, but on Bespin it felt like every single trooper was tossing grenades my way.

Charley
Oct 13th, 2004, 01:04:50 PM
Doing a diving roll isn't exactly a hard thing to do. If Stormies can run in that armor, then doing that isn't a stretch.

As for sniping, its not as easy as other games, but it can be done quite well. I do this a LOT on Kamino.

Vice
Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:48:17 PM
Ive played Battlefront and it was awesome. the only bad thing about is you cant be jedi masters on the game.

Pierce Tondry
Oct 24th, 2004, 01:02:27 AM
That's what Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is for.

Jedi would ruin Battlefront.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 24th, 2004, 04:10:19 AM
- The droids don't say "Roger Roger".

I wish they did this, too :( But otherwise, I'm having a lot of fun with this game! It's quite challenging :)

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 13th, 2004, 06:29:21 AM
:headache the battle of geonosis is so hard!!!

Anbira Hicchoru
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:04:02 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
:headache the battle of geonosis is so awesome!!!

Fixed.

My favorite thing to do on Geonosis is to occupy a clonetrooper gunship. Keep the bird on the ground until you get a full load of troopers manning the other beam cannons. Save the rockets exclusively for the Techno Union starships, and concentrate all laser fire onto enemy ground units. You should be fairly good at evading Geonosian fighters, which are more concerned with close air support. Make your main targets the spider walkers and hailfire droids.