PDA

View Full Version : Lucas Interview: No episode 7-9. ROTS probably not PG rated

Master Yoghurt
Sep 11th, 2004, 12:51:51 PM
New interview at MTV.com. Lucas says he does not intend to make episode 7-9. Revenge of the Sith will be much darker than the other movies, so it will likely not have a PG rating.

Director never intended to make nine-episode work; fourth 'Indiana Jones' in works. Don't expect any more "Star Wars" flicks after "Revenge of the Sith" — George Lucas says he's done.

George Lucas

"This was never planned as a nine-episode work," Lucas said. "The media [pounced when] I made an offhand comment, 'It might be fun to come back when everyone's 80 and do another one of these.' But I never had any intention of doing that."

Lucas said he only decided to do the back-story trilogy — which "Sith," due next May, will cap — because he realized he had already written it in order to tell the story in the first "Star Wars" films. "The original 'Star Wars' was only three films, and that was what it was meant to be," he said. "After a lot of pondering and thought, I went back to do the back story, but that pretty much tells the story. Episode six is the end. There isn't any more to it."

"Sith" may mark the end on an emotional level, too. "All the good guys die," he said, laughing. "And you know, it's pretty dark. It's pretty intense. I'm not sure this one is going to end up a PG like the others were."

That apparently doesn't have so much to do with actual violence — like previous "Star Wars" films, this one will have lots of battles and space action — as with what happens to Padme and the children borne from her union with Anakin Skywalker following their escape and separation. "It's a happy story," Lucas joked.

Despite the special-effects advances made since "Star Wars" premiered in 1977, Lucas doesn't feel threatened by films such as the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, nor does he feel the need to up the ante. Because of its legacy and consistent quality, his company Industrial Light and Magic really has no special-effects competition — not even Peter Jackson's WETA Digital.

"My company, we sort of pioneered special effects," Lucas said. "We're responsible for the rebirth of special effects in the film business. It disappeared back in the late '50s and early '60s, so we put together a group of kids, started it all over again, and eventually moved into digital. We've been pushing digital techniques and that sort of thing ever since, and we helped populate the special-effects industry as it is today. A lot of supervisors at all the other special-effects companies are from my lab. We even helped set up WETA in New Zealand, and have supported them with advice and that sort of thing."

Having accomplished so much on a blockbuster scale, Lucas said that after "Revenge of the Sith" and his upcoming fourth "Indiana Jones" installment (which he hopes to start shooting within a year), he'd like to return to indie-style movies like his 1971 debut, "THX 1138," which returns to theaters Friday (September 10) with a new director's cut.

"I think I've earned the right to fail," he said.

— Jennifer Vineyard, with reporting by Kurt Loder

Figrin D'an
Sep 11th, 2004, 02:18:27 PM
I'm glad the Episode VII-IX thing has been put to rest. Of course, some fanboys will say, "Never say never, he could change his mind!", but I'm inclined to believe Lucas on this one. He seems to have other projects in mind for the future, which is a good thing. I wouldn't mind seeing him helm something new... non-Star Wars and non-Indy.

I'm also glad to hear that Episode III may end up with a PG-13 rating. It's a sign that maybe, just maybe, ROTS will be the darker, grittier Star Wars film that we've been waiting for. I'm still not going to get real excited until I see trailers and the like, but it does make me hopeful.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2004, 05:19:29 PM
Yeah I am glad that has been put to rest. I honestly don't think a Pg-13 rating will hurt the movie. I guess it could help it with teenagers. Have to see there. Lucas could pay off the MPAA I suppose :p

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 12th, 2004, 02:37:14 AM
Something else to read with regards to 7/8/9

http://comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=6318

Mark Hamill Talks Star Wars Epis. 7, 8, & 9
Source: Scott Chitwood
Friday, September 10, 2004

This past Wednesday, ComingSoon.net had the opportunity to attend Lucasfilm and Fox Home Entertainment's roll-out of the "Star Wars Trilogy" DVD set (Coming Sept. 21st.) One of the surprise guests at the event was Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hamill. He ended up being one of the highlights of the presentation as he enthusiastically recalled humorous anecdotes about the making of the original films, working with Kevin Smith, seeing TROOPS for the first time, and more.

However, his comments towards the end about Episodes 7, 8, and 9 really got everyone's attention. Mark told those in attendance what Lucas told him the third trilogy would be about. Hamill also went into detail about Lucas' original plans for those films, when they would be made, and more. Plus, Lucasfilm's Jim Ward confirmed that a "Star Wars" TV series is on the way in the near future (though he didn't say when it would be set).

You can get the mp3 HERE (http://downloads.nexcess.net/comingsoon-hamill-swdvd1.mp3)

Master Yoghurt
Sep 12th, 2004, 05:27:56 AM
Its important to note about the Mark Hamill interview, that conversation he had with Lucas was a long time ago, like 1976. At that time, he was even philosophing about the idea of 4 trilogies and 12 episodes, so its not something thats being planned today. The real big news in that interview is about the TV series.

Anyway, just to further confirm that there are currently no plans for episode 7-9, there was another interview this friday where he also stated there would be no more star wars movies:

Charlie again went back to weather Star wars had kept George from doing other things. George said that he wants to do other movies, but that star wars is ALL consuming. He is now being released from that obligation. There will be NO MORE, there no reason to do more! He said he has some things lined up. A film on the Tuskeegee Airmen that he has been trying to get dome for some time. TV shows, he loves TV as a medium. Also to go with the Young Indy DVDs, he’s working on 100 documentaries dealing with historical people and places in the Young Indy series.

http://www.theforce.net/holonet/index.shtml#24762

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 14th, 2004, 02:15:26 AM
Ep III may not be PG-13? I like the sounds of that.

WHOAH! Is THX-1138 coming into theatres???? Please please please let it open here!!!!

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 14th, 2004, 09:28:35 AM
I think you mean may not be PG. Because it sounds like it might get a PG-13 raiting according to Lucas. No way will it get R.

Master Yoghurt
Sep 14th, 2004, 09:40:44 AM
Yeah, Im sure thats what he meant. Maybe more like Indy movies in intensity level, but definitely not R-rated material.

Droo
Sep 14th, 2004, 10:04:35 AM
Don't you guys have a rating in between PG-13 and R?

Charley
Sep 14th, 2004, 10:10:38 AM
No

Droo
Sep 15th, 2004, 12:19:53 AM
No wonder we have films like AvP being knocked down to a PG rating. I reckon there should be some middle ground to provide for moderate gore/violence/language etc.

Arya Ravenwing
Sep 15th, 2004, 01:02:57 AM
Why do our ratings have an affect on movies in England?

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 15th, 2004, 02:26:54 AM
If they're made in America, then Directors will make the movie to fit American ratings standards. E.g. with AvP, they want to be able to hit a wide a market as possible, so drop the gore/whatever so that they can slip into a lower rating bracket. This obviously has a knock on effect to what British rating it will receive, as the age the film is aimed at will be lowered - meaning it will fall into one of our lower ratings. If that makes sense.

General Tohmahawk
Sep 15th, 2004, 05:17:19 AM
We have

# G Suitable for all viewers. It is noted by the board that a "G" movie rating in Australia doesn't indicate the movie is intended for children, simply that nothing in the movie will be disturbing or harmful to children.
# PG Parental Guidance recommended for children under 15 years of age.
# M Mature, recommended for audiences 15 years and over. Note: this is not a legally restricted Australian movie rating, but movies in this category cannot be recommended for those under 15 years.
# MA Mature Accompanied. This category is legally restricted in that children under 15 cannot see "MA" films or rent them on video unless accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.
# R Restricted. This category is legally restricted to adults. No one under 18 may view these movies in a cinema or rent them on videocassette.
# X Restricted. This rating applies to sexually explicit material which is restricted to viewers 18 years of age and over. Although there is no federal restriction on X rated material, it is officially illegal all states - meaning it is legally only available in the Australian Capital Territory. In practice, however, most authorities turn a blind eye within the states.
# E Exempt from classification - thus not a rating as such. These are usually educational programs.

Doc Milo
Sep 15th, 2004, 08:32:44 AM
That seems like less real categories than the USA:

G -- General Audiences
PG -- Parental Guidance suggested
PG-13 -- Parental Guidance for children under 13
R -- Restricted to children under 17, no one under 17 admitted without being accompanied by an adult
NC-17 -- No admitance to children under the age of 17
X -- Adult material
NR -- Not Rated

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 15th, 2004, 09:09:44 AM
We have:

Uc - particularly suitable for pre-school children.
U - should be suitable for audiences aged four years and over. Works aimed at children should be set within a positive moral framework and should offer reassuring counterbalances to any violence, threat or horror.
PG - General viewing, but some scenes may be unsuitable for some children.
12A - No-one younger than 12 may see a ‘12A’ film in a cinema unless accompanied by an adult. (IIRC, this was specially created for Spiderman)
12 - Mature themes are acceptable, but their treatment must be suitable for young teenagers.
15 - No theme is prohibited, provided the treatment is appropriate to 15 year olds.
18 - There are no constraints at this level on theme, language, nudity or horror.
R18 - The ‘R18’ category is a special and legally restricted classification primarily for explicit videos of consenting sex between adults. Such videos may be supplied to adults only in licensed sex shops, of which there are currently about 90 in the UK

I didn't know about the R18 classification until now!

Master Yoghurt
Sep 16th, 2004, 10:55:09 AM
Our ratings are very straightforward. Copy our system! :)

* Permitted for All
* 7 years (4 years - accompanied by parent/adult guardian)
* 11 years (8 years - accompanied by parent/adult guardian)
* 15 years (12 years - accompanied by parent/adult guardian)
* 18 years (legally restricted to adults 18 years old)

A major error to the American rating system, there is MILE of difference between PG13 and R, which has the unfortunate effect of movie directors editing their cuts like chainsaw wielding zombies on LCD to hit PG13.