PDA

View Full Version : advertising / question re: faq

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 10th, 2004, 11:27:29 AM
You may also not post links to other roleplaying forums. SWFans does not pay for bandwidth so people can register and advertise sites elsehwere. Members who post threads to outside roleplaying communities will be banned immediately, and any thread with a link to an outside roleplaying community will be closed or deleted immediately.

I wasn't sure what to do about this thread:

http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36765

Delete, close, send PM to user asking that they read the FAQ more carefully? given that the user in question hasn't registered just to advertise, I thought the banning might be out of the question.

Shawn
Sep 10th, 2004, 02:05:11 PM
As much as I think it'd be polite to simply close his thread, I don't want to see an influx of these kinds of threads. Close it, move it here and PM him with that quote from the FAQ. I'll do it myself in a little bit here, if no one gets to it first.

Darth Viscera
Sep 10th, 2004, 02:15:39 PM
done and done and done

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 11th, 2004, 06:48:20 AM
well, although it isn't such blatant advertising, he started another thread

http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36770

so, I sent him a PM

Alex wrote on Today 01:50 PM:

Dasquian Belargic wrote on Today 01:46 PM:
Just a friendly reminder:

You may also not post links to other roleplaying forums. SWFans does not pay for bandwidth so people can register and advertise sites elsehwere.

I know you've already been informed about this, in regards to the thread you previously created, but I just wanted to stress this again. Advertising other boards, or effectively fishing to recruit for another board, can warrant a banning. I don't want to harp on at you, just make clear that if this new thread goes down the same route, it will also be closed/moved and further action may be taken.

(Just a note: I'm less inclined to take immeadiate action on this sort of thing than the mods/admins who've been staff longer, so someone may go ahead and just move/close it anyway.)

Thanks
-J

Sorry...its been a while since I read the FAQ (a loooong time), and I actually posted that post because I couldn't remember if I'd done the other one or not. My head it full of cold atm...and I can't think. :\

I've changed it...this time round, I wasn't actually planning on posting an ad for the group - I'm after advice.

EDIT: looks like just after I PMed him he editted the thread. It originally asked if anyone had ever been a part of, or had ever thought of joining a Stargate RPG. now (jumping to conclusions?) it seems more like he's going to wait for replies, then PM a link to any people who might be interested.

Darth Viscera
Sep 11th, 2004, 08:14:00 AM
oy vey ismier! he has, like, defense vs. hint 100 :(

Christopher Munro wrote on Today 08:42:21 AM:

Darth Viscera wrote on Yesterday 09:14 PM:
hiya,

here's why i closed/moved it:

from the faq:
You may also not post links to other roleplaying forums. SWFans does not pay for bandwidth so people can register and advertise sites elsehwere. Members who post threads to outside roleplaying communities will be banned immediately, and any thread with a link to an outside roleplaying community will be closed or deleted immediately

I've seen other people do it...sorry.