PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil: Apocalypse

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 8th, 2004, 08:00:40 PM
Anybody interested in this movie? It comes out Friday, now it looks better than the first movie. The girl they got playing Valentine actually looks the part and there are some other things that look interesting. But I don't know the first film just didn't live up to my expectations, so I am not sure about this one.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 8th, 2004, 08:28:04 PM
AHHH I can't wait. Pre-season WHL hockey game on Friday, and then the late showing of RE: Apocalypse. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 8th, 2004, 08:36:54 PM
If you see it before me let me know :) I am curious about it.

Charley
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:41:15 PM
The first one was fantastic and I expect the sequel to be just as good.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:19:29 PM
Well the first one just wasn't that good to me. I think one it was soo different from the games for me. Now this one does resemble the games more. Especially the girl playing Valentine, she looks the part, doesn't hurt she looks hot :p. This one resembles the third game a lot from the trailers I have seen.

imported_Marcus
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:22:04 PM
Originally posted by Charley
The first one was fantastic and I expect the sequel to be just as good.

I recognise this... it's sarcasm, right?

:p

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:30:19 PM
LOL I wondered that myself :p Seriously if Charley liked it that his opinion. I didn't hate just found it below average and not living up the Resident Evil games which were scarier and had a better story.

Charley
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:31:58 PM
Originally posted by Marcus
I recognise this... it's sarcasm, right?

:p

I'm dead serious. I went in with no expectations, and I was greatly suprised. It was quite an exciting movie.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:56:12 PM
Well that is probably what helped you for me I had the games as baggage, which influenced my opinion of the movie.

Charley
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:56:47 PM
The games are garbage. The movie's actually quite good.

Master Yoghurt
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:53:14 AM
I had the same experience as Charley. I had no expectations at all. In fact, I was thinking it would probably stink concidering the history of bad games to movie conversions. So I was very pleasantly surprised its an exciting and entertaining movie with high tilt factor, and I look forward to the sequel :)

Darth007
Sep 9th, 2004, 04:46:55 AM
Yeah I'd have to admit to I loved the first movie too, even if it barely resembled the games. If you try and hold the movie up to the game and compare them, it looks like junk because you're expecting different. But putting the game aside, the movie itself is really fun. Only dissapointment I had was the scare factor, which was barely there. And I think thats only because RE uses pyschological techniques on the player to freak them out, and its kinda hard to do that in a movie when your not imersed in it.

Shawn
Sep 9th, 2004, 03:58:03 PM
I'm dead serious. I went in with no expectations, and I was greatly suprised. It was quite an exciting movie. I agree completely. The first movie surprised me, and I challenge anyone to find a better videogame -> movie translation. It leaned more towards "Action movie with zombies in it" than towards "horror movie", but that was alright by me. The games were never scary, anyway.

I'm a little wary about a few things in the sequel. Namely, Alice going hand-to-hand with the Nemesis. But I think I'll enjoy it.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 9th, 2004, 04:31:49 PM
Well I liked the games better especially Resident Evil 2 that was the best game of the series, IMO. I am still hesitent about the sequel I might end up waiting for DVD or something.

Phantom
Sep 9th, 2004, 05:49:56 PM
I loved the first movie. Though it was a good action/zombie movie, much beter then I had expected. Can't wait to see the second one tomorrow, should be good ... I hope. lol.

v

Tear
Sep 10th, 2004, 02:29:44 AM
This made me laugh. I think ill check it out when it hits theaters

Shaun of the Dead (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365748/)

Check out the trailer..its somewhere.

Phantom
Sep 10th, 2004, 07:03:31 PM
Shawn of the Dead looks hilarious, saw the trailer for it when I saw Exorcists. Should be good.

Jared Mriad
Sep 10th, 2004, 08:15:12 PM
I'm not much of a reviewer, but I'll give it a whirl.

RE2:A, all in all, was a pretty good flick for a light nighter. Lots of guns, zombies, Nemsis, the dead dogs, a whole city, and did I mention Nemsis? The fight scene between Alice and Nemsis was a little poor, it was too much flashy and not enough steady camera on the fight. Also, the movie as a whole was more centered on Umbrella and saving a little kid rather than fighting the zombies, IMO - granted, they did kill alot of the freaks in the begining, plus Alice pwn'ing three lickers with a V-Rod Harley Davidson, SMG, and shotgun.) I can't tell ya' how Jill Valentine is, because I've never played any of the games, but she was pretty badassed in the first half hour.

Honestly, I'd go see it again.

Razielle Shadana
Sep 12th, 2004, 07:42:40 AM
I loved it! :D

I thought it was a saving grace that they didn't focus on the zombies as much in this one as the first one. It would have been too redundant. I honestly liked the Unbrella angle.

and her powers at the end were just too awesome!

I thought they all did a mighty 'piffy job.

James Prent
Sep 12th, 2004, 12:31:34 PM
I saw it last night. The graveyard scene was freaky spectacular. I really liked the movie. :D

Makes me curious about the next one!?

Garret Treborn
Sep 12th, 2004, 02:21:43 PM
This movie was awesome!!! Many times better then the first one.

Phantom
Sep 20th, 2004, 05:42:38 PM
Eh? Thought it was kinda lame. The first one was much, much better.

The scene with the motorcycle in the church was sooo dumb, I almost left. There was probably a handful of things that made that movie stupid. I was severely disappointed.

Charley
Sep 20th, 2004, 06:13:58 PM
This movie is absolutely terrible. Somebody watched waaaay too much xXx and other crappy action movies that have been out lately.

There are a few redeeming moments here and there, but this movie can't hold its predecessor's jockstrap. Not even the same ballpark.

Drake Shadowstalker
Sep 20th, 2004, 09:44:43 PM
Hey, I liked Triple X. And I love this movie. It is much better then its predecessor, in my opinion.

Gurney Devries
Sep 20th, 2004, 10:11:21 PM
Originally posted by Drake Shadowstalker
Hey, I liked Triple X. And I love this movie. It is much better then its predecessor, in my opinion. Unfortunately, that tells me all I need to know. :\ Definitely waiting until this comes out on video and I have a free rental.

Charley
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:03:55 AM
Hey, I liked Triple X. And I love this movie. It is much better then its predecessor, in my opinion.

People like you are the reason that hollywood makes terrible movies. I mean, to hell with plot, atmosphere, acting, or anything innovative. Lets add more ShakeyCam, Bullet Time, gold plated akimbo Desert Eagles, and STUPID CRAP to every movie. These mongoloids will lap it up every time.

I almost half expected about 70% of the soundtrack to consist of Powerman 5000's "Bodies". I mean, I have never heard this song in the connotation of an action movie, ever before!

Salem Ave
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:06:11 AM
Seems like people either love or hate it. I'm torn about seeing it now :\

Master Yoghurt
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:40:47 AM
Unfortunately, I have to agree with Charley. Apocalypse was not even in the same ballpark as the original. For some reason, Hollywood seem to think just adding lots of slow mo action sequences, lots of shooting & explosions, kung fu acrobatics, some monsters and some fancy special effects effects, its going to be good enough. Uh... no its not. A movie got to have a good story too.

I would not go so far to say its terrible though, but fans of the original should not expect the same captivating magic of the first, its just the standard action fest, and no more than that.

Charley
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:45:16 AM
The one bright spot to the movie is that there is a proper use of a tactical pistolcraft technique (carrying pistol + flashlight), and that warmed my cockles slightly.

Master Yoghurt
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:50:32 AM
Maybe youre right. I did not pay much attention to that though :)

Shawn
Sep 21st, 2004, 06:49:07 AM
If there is an action movie cliche that this movie didn't include, it's probably because they forgot it. Shakey Cam fight scenes, constant bullet time (heck, they once slowed down even further while they were already in bullet time), everybody weilding dual weapons, pointless, over-the-top action scenes (Bungee Jumping from a Helicopter? Running down the side of the building? Motorcycle flying through the window?).

There were about 20 minutes somewhere around the middle that were watchable, but then it just all went downhill again. Alice going hand-to-hand with the Nemesis, then having a tender moment whereupon he turns against his evil creators and helps her?? or maybe the scene from the Epilogue where She makes a guy randomly bleed out of his orifices just by looking at him through a camera.

The only saving grace of the movie is that it had several nice nods to the games like The scene with Alice running from the Helicopter/Shooting the Umbrella guards at the end, which is straight from RE: Code Veronica. Oh, and Milla got naked again.

Crystal
Sep 21st, 2004, 08:54:50 AM
I hate Jill. I found her very stupid and annoying. I wanted her to die at every chance. :mad

I loved the first, but could hardly get through this one. I wouldn't say it's quite as bad a xXx, it at least has some sort of plot.. which has nothing to do with a city full of zombies which for some reason all show up at the end even though we haven't seen them since the first 20 minutes.

Leeloo Dallas Multi-Pen? omg head explody

Master Yoghurt
Sep 21st, 2004, 03:17:22 PM
My review from another board:

I loved the original Resident Evil movie, so I was excited to see this.

Man, was I disappointed. Allmost every single action movie cliche are being used to the point it gets allmost laughable. What really irks me though, this is miles away in plot and atmosphere from the first. Bullet time scenes, superhuman stunts ala triple X, frequent gunfire and big explosions is not quite enough to excite me, there needs to be more than that.

But the most important question that sprung to my mind, where was the story, or rather what the heck was the point of this movie? I mean, should there not be some kind of decent intro at least. And the characters seemed to be just randomly tossed into the action, with no motive or background.

Although, I would not go so far to say its outright terrible (it gets quite boring at times), its just seems like a very pale shadow compared to the first movie.

If youre just looking for an action fest with nothing innovative or a captivating story, then look no further. In all its mediocrity, it is still high pace action so if that floats your boat, its watchable. But I recommend this only for rental or TV.

Overall Id give it 2.5 out of 5 stars at best (Im tempted to say 2.0)

Drake Shadowstalker
Sep 21st, 2004, 08:02:07 PM
People like you are the reason that hollywood makes terrible movies. I mean, to hell with plot, atmosphere, acting, or anything innovative. Lets add more ShakeyCam, Bullet Time, gold plated akimbo Desert Eagles, and STUPID CRAP to every movie. These mongoloids will lap it up every time.

Is it okay to insult people? Cuz I could come up with some good stuff.

Charley
Sep 21st, 2004, 09:20:40 PM
Is it okay to insult people? Cuz I could come up with some good stuff.

It's not an insult, its simple Business 101. You and your demographic keep cliche action in the theaters.

Drake Shadowstalker
Sep 21st, 2004, 09:26:22 PM
You are severely debunking my taste in movies. Is not everyone entitled to their own opinion? Or must it coordinate with yours to be acceptable?

Charley
Sep 21st, 2004, 09:31:14 PM
You are severely debunking my taste in movies. Is not everyone entitled to their own opinion? Or must it coordinate with yours to be acceptable?

The double edged sword of opinion is that people can use their own to negatively appraise yours. Its not like I haven't seen this kind of justification a thousand times before.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 21st, 2004, 09:32:41 PM
Keep the "mongoloid" references away from people on the board, please.

Charley
Sep 21st, 2004, 10:00:15 PM
What do you have against Down's Syndrome?!? :mad

imported_Akrabbim
Sep 21st, 2004, 11:31:13 PM
I noted quite the large logical fallacy with one point:

The graveyard scene doesn't make any sense. First off, how did the virus get into the ground? Second, the virus is only supposed to work on recently dead bodies, within the first 3-5 months. Lastly, how the heck did they break outta coffins? They have only normal human strength.

I did enjoy the movie. It just wasn't nearly as good as the first. Hopefully they'll make a much better third one.

HFunk
Sep 27th, 2004, 03:46:20 PM
Wish both films would have been more faithful to the video game series, the only thing that impressed me with the original one was the snazzy soundtrack care of Marilyn Manson and Marco Beltrami. Edit out the score and you have a pretty crappy film. Yuck! And hated the sequel even more. Please put the "H" in survival horror. And that stylish cinematography serves it's cashcow amenable purposes.