PDA

View Full Version : I want to dye.

Mitch
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:00:20 AM
Okay, now that I have your attention, I need to ask a serious question.

How can I dye my hair orangy-blonde, but not have it be permenant?

I only actually need the color for a day or so, and really don't want to keep the color after that. My reasoning is because I'm thinking of being Donald Trump for Halloween at work, and so I'm not going to cut my hair until then so I cna do the trademark "Trump Bush", but my regular hair color is a medium/dark brown, which totally doesn't work.

So, I need some advice on temoporary hair coloring. If it isn't really possible, then I'm going to get my hair cut soon, because now it's really starting to get shaggy.

Crystal
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:31:07 AM
What color is your hair now? Brown, right?

I tried using a red temporary dye on my natural hair color and it didn't do anything at all. I don't think orange would work either.

Mitch
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:33:34 AM
Bummer, because I really want to be The Donald.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:37:35 AM
You caught the gay, Mitch.

Mitch
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:49:50 AM
You're fired.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:05:57 AM
You mean I was employed in the first place?

Droo
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:12:50 AM
You'd probably need to bleach your hair before adding any colour to it since your hair is dark. Of course afterwards you could wash the dye out but then you'd be left with bleached blonde hair which would last quite a while.

Jacen Parami
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:51:13 AM
Hair spray. I have mid/dark brown hair. I got some red spray-on stuff, and it goes over fine. I had to use a bit more than I usually would, to get the coverage, though. You may find that you need to start off with some cheap wash in/out stuff in a really light colour, or spray, or something, and layer it up.

Alternatively, you can get some hair dye stuff that'll cover your natural hair colour. I know people who've dyed their hair silver (from black). Only problem is, you have to either stand in a shower for ages to get it all out, or go to work with coloured hair for a few days.

The other alternative is a wig.

Dan the Man
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:10:29 AM
Sorry. Dominant genes = can't dye hair for crap.

I've got brown hair. My only options in terms of dye are red and black. I end up dying black often.

Christopher Munro
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:22:38 AM
I think you can get special dye that claims to cover dark hair. Don't know if it works...probably wouldn't. My guess is its just an excuse to whack an extra few bucks on the price.

I've never bleached my hair before...but maybe, if it was long enough, you could leave it to the roots are still dark? That way, you could lop off all the bleached stuff when you had it cut. I dunno how short you have your hair normally, though...

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 7th, 2004, 12:49:18 PM
My hair is dark brown and I can get it bright red/orange/whatever. Just use a 20% peroxide bleach dye.

Mitch
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:56:43 PM
Key word here is "Temporary."

imported_Eve
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:06:12 PM
A few weeks ago I used some Feria for dark brunettes. It lightened my hair alot without turning it red. There is stuff for brunettes to lighten without going red, and its all pretty new. I used it. But I don't know if there is any non-permanent.

This is what I used: click here (http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jhtml?id=prod849802&CATID=100854&skuid=sku849788&navAction=jump&navCount=1)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:01:20 PM
Mitch - Buy some dark brown dye as well, so that you can dye your hair back.

You will never find a non permanent way to lighten dark hair. Ever. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:58:41 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
You will never find a non permanent way to lighten dark hair. Ever. :)

Truth.

Do what LD says. Depending on what dye you use, it could take anywhere from a handful of washes to a month or so for it to come out. Reds/oranges wash out the quickest of all colours for some reason.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:14:33 AM
Originally posted by Mitch
Key word here is "Temporary."

If you have hair like mine (and considerign the other similarities, I'd say that's a yes), you'll have a devil of a time dyeing it any colour. Even coming down a few shades without bleaching is pretty much out of the question.

Hair paint that washes out is probably the only option.

Crystal
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:56:18 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian BelargicReds/oranges wash out the quickest of all colours for some reason.

Yes, they do :(

My pretty red hair turned a weird reddish brown color after like a week. I just re-dyed it tonight, though because my roots were showing.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:38:47 AM
Crystal, you know your hair will fall out before you're 25, right?

Darth Viscera
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:46:45 AM
Originally posted by Cirrsseeto Raurrssatta

*raises eyebrow*

Lady Vader
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:06:20 PM
Hair dye can weaken hair, making it thin and brittle. Hences Charley's comment.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:15:24 PM
That's not always the case. My mum has been dying her hair, every colour under the sun, for 20 years and it's had no effect.

Lady Vader
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:22:25 PM
You're right... I should have put in a sentence in my post stating it doesn't happen to everyone.

Darth Viscera
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:41:50 PM
Originally posted by Lady Vader
Hair dye can weaken hair, making it thin and brittle. Hences Charley's comment.

Eep. I've dyed my hair like 5 times. I hope I haven't made my hair thin and brittle in the process :(

imported_Eve
Sep 8th, 2004, 06:00:20 PM
Bleaching is bad. Dying is usually fine. I have super healthy hair and I have been coloring it for 12 years.

Charley
Sep 8th, 2004, 06:28:50 PM
I need to dye my hair black again actually.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 8th, 2004, 06:59:19 PM
I'd love to dye my hair black again. Now that I'm actually a bit tan (read: not ghostly white) it might not make me look like a ghoul.

Crystal
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:55:13 AM
I want to dye my hair black again too.. but everyone seems to hate it that color. Probaly because I'm very white with no intention of tanning.

Originally posted by Cirrsseeto Raurrssatta

So my mom tells me :uhoh

I've only bleached it, maybe three times. The orange streaks, to dye it blue, then to get the blue out. The other times I just dyed it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 9th, 2004, 11:56:22 AM
Crystal - stick with red because it looks fantastic on you. :)

AmazonBabe
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:42:59 PM
Red good. Just stay away from the bleaching and you should be fine. :)