PDA

View Full Version : Firefox?

Syren Wyssholt
Sep 4th, 2004, 11:31:15 AM
My fiance and I are using firefox - current version. There is a website that I keep trying to access ( I need to because its for an rp channel I help host ) but I keep getting a message stating that it could not be found. Please check the name and try again. I know I'm entering the correct url but for some reason I cannot access the site.

I have gone into Tools -> Options -> Web Features and listed the sites url as one that is to be allowed pop-ups (though there aren't any on the site at all anyways) and I've set the site so that its cookies are allowed.

Any suggestions or tips? I'm not sure if its something having to do with the Firefox or if something else is causing this.

Figrin D'an
Sep 4th, 2004, 11:37:44 AM
It's seems more likely that it's a problem on the server end, not with your system or browser. Give it some time and it'll probably be back up.

Syren Wyssholt
Sep 4th, 2004, 11:49:11 AM
Ah, alright, thanks Figrin. The lady who owns the site has been made aware of this issue I keep having with the site. If it continues I suppose I should just ask her to bring it up with the host server. Thanks again :)

Morgan Evanar
Sep 4th, 2004, 02:55:50 PM
You could try it with a different browser.

Razielle Shadana
Sep 4th, 2004, 04:11:55 PM
Hey girly, I had the same problem when I moved and set up my new system. My problem was twofold, 1) it was something to do with the built in firewall's in my DSL warring with the PC ones, and 2) wireless router was waring with my Bellsouth box.

Many reconnections and configurations and hours later.....

-crickets chirp-

things wound up okay, but check those two thing and see if they help :)

sorry I'm not very technical, thats my very best shot :lol >_<

Figrin D'an
Sep 4th, 2004, 04:57:53 PM
Something else you could try is to open a command prompt window, and type "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes) and hit enter. It may or may not help, but it is one possible source of the problem.

Syren Wyssholt
Sep 5th, 2004, 12:53:58 PM
Ah great :) Thanks for the suggestions, Figrin and Raz. I'll give those a try. I have tried to access it using plain ol' IE but I'd still get the same message. If these things don't work, I'll just ask the site owner to contact their host server and see what else could be done.

Edit: Raz, those things you mentioned confused the jeebus out of me :lol so I tried Figrin's suggestion of flushing the dns. That did it. I don't understand why it did, but it did.

Thanks again :)

Figrin D'an
Sep 5th, 2004, 03:11:30 PM
Originally posted by Syren Wyssholt
Edit: Raz, those things you mentioned confused the jeebus out of me :lol so I tried Figrin's suggestion of flushing the dns. That did it. I don't understand why it did, but it did.

Essentially, your computer stores DNS information for websites, just like your browser caches html and images and stuff for quick retrieval. DNS helps your system identifies websites, and it stores it so that if you visit a site often, it automatically has that info on hand, rather than have to go search for it on the net. However, sometimes if your system gets DNS info for a site that can't be found for whatever reason (server or site updates, etc), it will remember that the site couldn't be found, so the next time you request it, it'll automatically return that "site can't be found" message. So, if you can't get a site to come up, it could be that the DNS info is bad, and flushing it out will force your system to search for it again and get the real info.

Hope that explanation makes sense. It's a nice tip to remember if you have problems calling up websites, since it's a pretty easy fix and can save some frustration now and then. :)

Syren Wyssholt
Sep 5th, 2004, 09:30:23 PM
Wow. That helped understand it a lot, Figrin. Thanks for taking the time to explain it and in terms I can understand :) Yes, it is handy (now) to remember that in case something like this happens again.

Thanks so much :)