PDA

View Full Version : Evil Genius

Khendon Sevon
Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:32:46 PM
With all the buzz about big titles like Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and Worlds of Warcraft you have to wonder about the little guys that aren’t getting the lime light… or are they? Vivendi Universal (yes, the French guys) may have accomplished an adept theft of headline text--I know that their games are already in the headlines, just, this isn't a big gun.

IGN called it the most innovated game of E3, Gamespy simply gave it editor’s choice of that same event. So? What game could this be? The next generation of leisure Suit Larry? No. Fight Club game? Not a chance. Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper? I don’t think so…

It’s something much more sinister. Dark. Wicked. The title to look out for is Evil Genius (http://www.howevilareyou.com/us/ out September 28th, EBX said they’ll have it the 29th).

Now, it’s not really all that different. Anyone who’s ever played Theme Hospital or Dungeon Keeper will quickly pick up on the finer art of managing an evildoer’s lair—including building, researching, and fighting fires. However, features like minion management and training, super-weapons, government agents, action heroes, prison breaks, kidnapping, stealing, and henchmen make the game really stand out.

Don’t believe me? Play the demo (http://www.howevilareyou.com/us/downloads.jsp) and see for yourself!

What I like (from the demo):

- I love watching minions progress ala matrix agent style
- Intuitive controls
- Pace isn’t overwhelming

What I didn’t really like but might be different in the full version:

- The graphics weren’t wowing. They were good, but nothing for my jaw to drop at.
- Minions don’t carry weapons/attack when only on green alert unless you tag enemies

Overall, I like the game. I’m going to buy it the day it comes out and play it during class on my laptop ;)

Edit:

This explains some of the differences between the demo and full version: http://community.vugames.com/WebX?230@230.LDjBdyz4KXt.1@.1dd816b0

Travis North
Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:16:08 PM
It's like theme Hospital gone Dr. Evil. I'm so gonna get this. Great find.

Edit: Started playing the demo it's real fun the interrogation was fun to watch. Little minions doing Mike's dance moves. I laughed so hard.

Charley
Sep 3rd, 2004, 01:28:04 PM
This is a fantastic game. See, I love a good game that has great concepts. It doesn't even need great graphics. The retro NOLF-style look of the game is utterly fitting. Its World Domination a Go-Go

Shawn
Sep 3rd, 2004, 04:20:56 PM
Sounds kind of interesting, I may check it out. Not sure if I'll dig it, though. I hope it's more NOLF than it is Austin Powers.

Charley
Sep 3rd, 2004, 04:43:41 PM
Where's the dividing line there?

Shawn
Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:11:00 PM
NOLF is about 70% camp, 30% serious. Austin Powers is 100% camp. I'm a huge fan of campy movies and games, but I can't stand Austin Powers.

imported_L'Vek Darkivven
Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:37:36 PM
You'll have to excuse me I don't know what you mean by those terms. NOLF - Whats that stand for and mean? And Camp - What do you mean by that?

Morgan Evanar
Sep 3rd, 2004, 08:13:11 PM
Campy. Campy. Non-serious. Absurd.

NOLF: No One Lives Forever. Two first person spy games set in the 1960s that mildly spoofs spy movies of the 1960s. Excellent games.

ReaperFett
Sep 12th, 2004, 07:55:32 AM
How can you not enjoy a game where you can torture someone with kitchen appliances? :D

Travis North
Sep 12th, 2004, 09:04:31 AM
Hah you should lock up your own minions and torture them it's so funny or just select your Evil Genius and right click on a minion.

Charley
Sep 12th, 2004, 10:40:49 PM
Interrogations are hilarious. Burning people with cigarettes under intense lamplight is fantastic. And the interrogator is French to boot :cool

Khendon Sevon
Sep 30th, 2004, 06:30:20 PM
Just bought the game today... way too cool.

Sadly, I had prayed for a multiplayer and one has not been provided. Too bad. Supposedly the engine supports some modding, maybe we'll see a multiplayer version in the future? Who knows.

Charley
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:49:02 PM
I'm not sure how you'd ever be able to make the game into a multiplayer kind of game, or why anyone would want to in the first place.

Khendon Sevon
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:47:28 PM
LIke DKII did. A few guys competing either to be the most evil. That or you could have conflicts between eachother--sending troops to one another's islands.

Drin Kizael
Oct 13th, 2004, 05:24:28 PM
I need help! I get as far as getting the crime lords to meet at my base... and then this Russian shows up and refuses to acknolwedge my authority.

I'm supposed to "mix" up his principals and get him to see my way... or something like that. I assume that "mix" is supposed to be some kind of hint, but it's lost on me.

What am I supposed to do? I've interrogated him like 4 times. My valets are all over him with their weakening attacks. I even tried killing him. I've built up my base huge with 100 minions and a hotel and room to expand into the r&d rooms... but I am stumped on how to get to the next objective to unlock them.

My theory is I need a spin doctor, but I have done so much plotting and still can't uncover one to abduct. Is there some other way to gain advanced minions that I'm missing?

Khendon Sevon
Oct 13th, 2004, 06:36:09 PM
I'm supposed to "mix" up his principals and get him to see my way... or something like that. I assume that "mix" is supposed to be some kind of hint, but it's lost on me.

Hint: check what you can build in the kitchen area-thingy