PDA

View Full Version : Episoes 7, 8 and 9 possible now?

TheHolo.Net
Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:12:52 PM
Taken from: http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=115020814&p=yy5xzy5zx

Lucas to make more Star Wars?

21/08/2004 - 22:18:27 Star Wars creator George Lucas could be poised to make three sequels to the original space opera trilogy, according to insiders at Lucasfilm.

Star Wars creator George Lucas could be poised to make three sequels to the original space opera trilogy, according to insiders at Lucasfilm.

According to fan site Theforce.net, employees at Lucas's company Industrial Light and Magic have all been made to sign non-disclosure agreements to promise not to talk about the possibility of episode's seven, eight and nine being made.

Now industry insiders are predicting the director will make the follow-ups, which pick up where 1983's Return of the Jedi left off, despite insisting he would never be lured into filming them.

A posting on the site says, "You didn't hear this from me, but you might be curious as to why everyone at ILM just signed NDA's saying that they will not discuss Star Wars episodes 7, 8, or 9.

"Since they're not being made, why the NDA's? Of course, since when has Lucas been consistent?"

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:14:41 PM
OMG I CAN'T TAKE THE INDECISION ANY MORE!!

:shootin :x

Seriously - I would love it if we had nine more years of Star Wars to look forward to. But I refuse to hold my breath!!!

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:18:12 PM
On one hand, I want to say HOORJ. On the other, I really hope they don't make anymore Episodes, and if they do someone reigns in GL, otherwise he'll just keep spiralling out further into mediocrity until the franchise becomes a complete joke.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:26:36 PM
Just BRING BACK HARRISON FORD!!!! :cry pleeeese

TheHolo.Net
Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:27:36 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Just BRING BACK HARRISON FORD!!!! :cry pleeeese Hell, Harrison Ford could probably direct the sequels better than Lucas has done so far on the prequels.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:29:18 PM
And we all know Ford needs a hit, after his last movies. :x

Figrin D'an
Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:31:35 PM
It won't happen, unless he plans on setting the story about 50-60+ years after ROTJ, when all the major characters from the original trilogy are dead and gone, or at least out of the picture. There's no way he could convince Harrison Ford to touch anything Star Wars ever again, and I'm doubtful that Carrie Fischer would come back either.

I don't want to see them happen, because to be honest, I don't want to see the original cast trotted out again in what is likely to be a half-hearted effort, and I don't want a new plot that really has nothing to do with the core Skywalker storyline (this is what the EU is for). After Episode III is completed, Star Wars needs to be done in the film medium.

darth_mcbain
Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:01:28 PM
I am torn - one the one hand, it's SW, I'd LOVE to see three more. But on the other hand, Figrin stated it very succinctly that basically the story arc that was intended (i.e. the Skywalker storyline) is complete in 6 episodes - adding more would be superfluous.

Plus, the discontinuity of the actors from the OT with the new actors that would need to be in this new trilogy (there's no way they could use the same actors - I'm sorry) would not be good. I mean, Harrison Ford is Han Solo... Mark Hamill is Luke Skywalker - you cannot replace these actors with others a la James Bond - it just wouldn't work.

Personally, I'd have to lean towards hoping they don't make them. Once Episode III is out, Star Wars will be, in my mind, complete.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:49:28 PM
Maybe they'll be about R2-D2 and C-3PO :)

JMK
Aug 23rd, 2004, 05:28:55 PM
Please, don't do it. It would be cool to see, but it's just not worth the risk. Another trilogy would completely devalue the importance of the OT, and to a far lesser extent, the prequels.

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 24th, 2004, 03:49:09 AM
NO. This is such a bad idea. We dont need three more movies. IF the prequels had been decent, I coudl think some argument could be made in favour. But no, I just have so much doubt. Just leave it lie Lucas and go back making films like THX - that would be worth it.

Master Yoghurt
Aug 24th, 2004, 04:57:00 AM
If it got the right director, say Spielberg then just maaaaaaybe. Oh, and for the love of all that is holy, a decent story. Zahns trilogy might be interesting.

Lucas himself should move on to other projects.

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 24th, 2004, 10:22:17 AM
Episode 7: Tim Burton
Episode 8: QT
Episode 9: Takashi Miike

That's who I want directing :cool

Obviously not seriously, but it would be pretty funny to see ^_^;

JMK
Aug 24th, 2004, 11:01:00 AM
The only way I wouldn't cry myself to sleep every night is if the story was set far into the future, after the current crew is long gone, maybe Chewie, C-3P0 and R2-D2 would be left, and some new threat has emerged. But I think that this is an unbelievably bad idea for so many reasons.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 24th, 2004, 11:38:38 AM
Maybe it would show the rebuilding of the Jedi order...

JMK
Aug 24th, 2004, 12:05:39 PM
In some respect that would be interesting, but like Figrin said, it would have nothing to do with the core Skywalker family. That's what Star Wars is. That's why it was made, to explain the story of this one family, with the fall of good and the rise of evil as the backdrop. A new trilogy, while some folks would love it, would be NOTHING but a cash grab that Lucas knows he can have.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 24th, 2004, 12:17:17 PM
Unless it was about Han and Leia's kids...

imported_Firebird1
Aug 24th, 2004, 12:25:51 PM
Theres going to be three more?

Can someone hand Steven Speilburg the reigns now....

Charley
Aug 24th, 2004, 02:58:22 PM
Why do we need three more? The SW saga revolves around Anakin Skywalker's rise, fall, and redemption. What could possibly be gained by doing this?

Nathanial K'cansce
Aug 24th, 2004, 03:12:54 PM
Originally posted by Charley
Why do we need three more? The SW saga revolves around Anakin Skywalker's rise, fall, and redemption. What could possibly be gained by doing this?

Agreed. Though the prequels have left much to be desired about Anakin's "Rise". :p

I've always wanted a 7,8,9, but I honestly don't see how it can work. The Star Wars Movies are about the Skywalker line, and both Anakin's and Luke's lives. There wouldn't be anything left storywise to do in a movie. Everything was complete.

Now, had Lucas left it open and had Han Solo be Luke's and Leia's brother (heard he was thinking about that when 7,8,9 were actually an option), then I could see it, but then the Emperor wouldn't be dead after RotJ.

:x

Shade Magus
Aug 24th, 2004, 06:57:03 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
Zahns trilogy might be interesting.

I agree with this and might even go and see the movies if this was the plot. However, it has nothing to do with the Skywalker line rising and falling and then rising up again, which is what the movies were about. Thrawn is for EU and should stay there.

A side note if they were to do the Thrawn trilogoy they would probably just butcher the book as most moovies tend to do.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 24th, 2004, 08:47:56 PM
If they do Zahn's trilogy, I want Peter Jackson to direct, and film them all back to back.

*has a joygasm at the thought*

The Man in Black
Aug 24th, 2004, 10:40:42 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
If they do Zahn's trilogy, I want Peter Jackson to direct, and film them all back to back.

*has a joygasm at the thought*

Why? Zahn's trilogy was soulless technobabble, and I have no desire to see Star Wars "LOTR-ized" at all.

imported_Marcus
Aug 24th, 2004, 11:20:57 PM
Originally posted by The Man in Black
Why? Zahn's trilogy was soulless technobabble, and I have no desire to see Star Wars "LOTR-ized" at all.

ZXahn's books get joygasms cause they are the standout in a woeful EU. Zahn's books are quite good.

Jackson directing? Well, he could do a good job no doubt, but frankly he's goign to be beaten to death if he dont do The Hobbit.

What however I see Jackson would bring to the party would be mind numbing attention to detail, astounding CG, probably a great story, far better actors and something quite unlike Star Wars in feel. Wont be LOTR but I doubt it'll be Star Wars either. Maybe Yoda becomes a puppet and lets loose with a .50 cal machine gun, while Luke wards off hundreds of zombie troopers with a lawn mower.

The Man in Black
Aug 24th, 2004, 11:34:13 PM
Which is precisely why I feel no need for him to direct. There are plenty of capable directors, and its obvious what somebody wants when they suggest Jackson gets the nod.

Zahn's books are more Clancy and less Star Wars. They're about military shenanigans, technological innovation, scientific nullifications, and everything EXCEPT the sense of whimsy and fantasy that makes Star Wars exciting on a movie screen.

Thus, the two are in completely opposite and inappropriate directions for a "sequel trilogy" to follow. Not that it matters, because I feel that any further volumes to the Star Wars saga would be a big mistake.

Shade Magus
Aug 24th, 2004, 11:59:46 PM
They're about military shenanigans, technological innovation, scientific nullifications, and everything EXCEPT the sense of whimsy and fantasy that makes Star Wars exciting on a movie screen.

Almost agree with you there. All except the last part. True the Thrawn series was all about military, but that is because it leans more towards the Imperial side of Star Wars, the side that not that many actually focus on. Also if you encompass Zahn's newest book [/i]Survivor's Quest[/i] then it also shows that he can write about the fantasy part just as well.

The Man in Black
Aug 25th, 2004, 12:15:10 AM
And that has zilch to do with his original SW trilogy, does it?

JMK
Aug 25th, 2004, 08:03:40 AM
Which is precisely why I feel no need for him to direct. There are plenty of capable directors, and its obvious what somebody wants when they suggest Jackson gets the nod.

Zahn's books are more Clancy and less Star Wars. They're about military shenanigans, technological innovation, scientific nullifications, and everything EXCEPT the sense of whimsy and fantasy that makes Star Wars exciting on a movie screen.

Thus, the two are in completely opposite and inappropriate directions for a "sequel trilogy" to follow. Not that it matters, because I feel that any further volumes to the Star Wars saga would be a big mistake.

Here here!

AmazonBabe
Aug 25th, 2004, 09:57:06 AM
If Thrawn is in em and they play him out right, I will so buy into having Ep 7, 8, and 9.

Charley
Aug 25th, 2004, 10:16:38 AM
Even if it has nothing to do with the other two trilogies?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the Zahn books for what they were. But to be sure, they were far and away from canon. It just doesn't mesh with the movies like a movie sequel should.

imported_Firebird1
Aug 25th, 2004, 10:40:13 AM
I guess then it would have to be a new story.... with maybe a decendent of a character from the first six in it or something...

However the Video Games with the Star Wars name have been more Star Wars like for the past few years

JMK
Aug 25th, 2004, 12:05:06 PM
Well like LD said, maybe it could be about Han and Leia's children. That would almost necessitate an appearance of Han and Leia, because vague references to their lives and deaths would be SO lame. Likewise, having Ford and Fisher in the movie would also be weird. If Hamill took on an Alec Guiness-type role in a sequel trilogy, then maybe I could deal with that.

But there's just no way they can make up a whole new tapestry for a sequel trilogy that would make everyone happy as the prequels and OT do.

Figrin D'an
Aug 25th, 2004, 12:26:33 PM
Even if it has nothing to do with the other two trilogies?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the Zahn books for what they were. But to be sure, they were far and away from canon. It just doesn't mesh with the movies like a movie sequel should.

Exactly.

Most everyone knows that I felt Zahn was (and still is) the best EU author. The books of the Thrawn trilogy were excellent reads, and his later pair to finish off that story arc were very good as well.

But...

they're not canon. They are not part of the core Star Wars storyline. Making them into films would not work for this very reason. Nobody outside of us hardcore Star Wars fans would have a clue what was going on and how it has anything to do with the Star Wars that everyone knows. Like Charley said, Zahn's books were more techno-science fiction than fantasy-science fiction. Part of the reason why they were excellent reads is because he didn't try to butcher the canon storyline with a lot of new crazy ways to change the Force or the characters. He simply took the characters we all know and put them in a situation that was Star Wars-like in superfical terms, but different at it's core. And that's fine for the EU. It work well in book form.

But as a film... I have to ask, "Why?". They add NOTHING to the 'fall of the father/redemption by the son' story. Had GL stuck with his original plan of making nine films, then sure, having three more episodes would make sense to finish off the story. But, he altered them so that the story was complete after six episodes. There isn't a need for any more, not focusing on the Zahn storyline, not anything about the Solo or Skywalker children, nor anything else.

Charley
Aug 25th, 2004, 12:38:19 PM
To put it another way...

Anybody like the Godfather Trilogy? Would you really be interested in seeing another movie made that centered around Andy Garcia's character?

Neither would I.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 25th, 2004, 01:03:26 PM

I was sort of joking. Although I do wish more trilogies were filmed back to back so we wouldn't have to wait so long between movies.

Charley
Aug 25th, 2004, 01:07:01 PM
I don't mind it. The anticipation is sauce for the goose. Similar to why the Olympics only come every four years.

JMK
Aug 25th, 2004, 03:35:08 PM
Yeah, the waiting is tortuous, but in an entirely good way. The slowly leaked spoilers and images that create images of how the movie will be...it's great. With some series like the Matrix & LotR, I was glad they did it back to back because the story calls for it. With Star Wars it isn't necessary.

imported_QuiGonJ
Aug 25th, 2004, 07:56:42 PM
I'll join in with hoping Lucas stops going to the well. He is going to completely destroy the franchise if he churns out more films. Doing the life story of one man over six films has not been done before, and he's accomplishing that. Anything more would be filler, and Lucas has said as much.

JMK
Aug 25th, 2004, 08:12:41 PM
I have this terrible feeling that in this corporate climate that we're in, though Lucas knows that another trilogy would be senseless, he won't be able to turn down the billions of dollars that it will generate. That's a lot of $$$ to turn down, but I hope he has the brains to do it.

Master Yoghurt
Aug 26th, 2004, 01:33:27 AM
Originally posted by JMK
I have this terrible feeling that in this corporate climate that we're in, though Lucas knows that another trilogy would be senseless, he won't be able to turn down the billions of dollars that it will generate. That's a lot of $$$ to turn down, but I hope he has the brains to do it.

Excactly. In the end, this is what it boils down to. We are talking about the most profitable movie franchise ever. Lets forget the continuity for a bit and think this from from a pure economical point of view. Imagine a studio head walks up to you, and offers you an absolutely outragous amount of money for licensing SW for sequels. WHO in their sane minds would decline it? WHEN did Hollywood ever care about lofty ideals as creative integrity?

.. and the most important question; WHY would Lucas care about some fans crazy conception of what the Star Wars story should be like? I mean he introduced that dreadful Jar Jar creature and many other awful things, yet we keep on flocking to the movie theaters like mindless sheep. He will get our money one way or the other :evil

JMK
Aug 26th, 2004, 07:41:13 AM
You're right, but another way to look at it is that he already has gotten our money. Hopefully in Lucas' head he already has enough billions where he won't drool over the possibility of even more. I hope he realizes what he has created and leaves it alone.

Darth_Sauron
Aug 27th, 2004, 07:49:25 AM
Noob here with some details from TFN on this story.

More Films or a Star Wars TV Show?
Fri, Aug 27, 04 02:21:32 AM EDT

snap-hiss files this analysis after reading recent reports on ILM and the infamous NDAs. Do signs point more to a live action TV show rather than 3 more films? We are starting to agree with this - and you should note TFN posted a few months ago the probability of a Young Indy series coming to the SW universe. Check this out:
Hey guys, snap-hiss here... just wanted to send you something I've been thinking about for the past few days that really seems to make since with what we know so far in regards to the reports about three more films.
Lucas has said many times that there will be no more SW films after Episode 3, however he has said that with the success of the Clone Wars Cartoon Shorts there is a strong possibility of more SW on the small screen. The recent reports of non disclosure agreements being given to ILM employees regarding Episodes 7-9 could easily have simply covered Star Wars material on the timeline post Return of the Jedi, and whoever leaked it just took this to mean three more films would be made, as this has been conjecture for years. If this is the case I would say then that Lucas is planning a live action television series that takes place after ROTJ. First the reasons why it is doubtful there will be three more films, then I'll give my reasons for believing the non disclosure agreements were regarding a television project.

The report stated that it was ILM employees who were given the NDAs to sign. This itself doesn't fit because ILM would be the very last people to work on the film, they don't get work until after photography is wrapped, and to have them sign an NDA for films that don't even have scripts yet... just doesn't sound right. Also even if he had plans in his head to do these films they would be on hold for quite some time. He has a number of projects lined up for after Return of the Sith including the fourth Indiana Jones film, so it would be really jumping the gun to tell his staff about this, something that he couldn't even start writing for another 2-3 years at the soonest, and with the extreme level of secrecy kept on even the films we know about, it would be an odd move for him to just throw out information so early that he knows would be leaked. I could see him just telling maybe John Knoll and Rob Coleman only, but in that case it wouldn't have been leaked in the first place.

Now, as far as the reasons for believing a show is in the works... we all know Lucas loves to release different things simultaneously to build hype. Next spring we will get more animated Clone Wars shorts weeks before Episode 3 opens, and this would be an excellent time to announce such a move. Also, if he were to make a live action show it would no doubt be a staging ground for a ton of digital effects, just like what he did with the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles show, hence ILM being brought on board now as their schedules would need to be cleared, PLUS it would be the newer and lesser experienced artists in ILM that are not working on big budget films (e.g. ROTS) that would be brought on for this project, so it makes sense then that this information could have been leaked by one or more of these people which is how we found out about the non disclosure agreements in the first place.

I predict that we can expect to hear unofficial rumblings beginning sometime within the next six months regarding this, and an official announcement by April of next year, probably at Celebration 3.

Nikkiah Wintermoon
Aug 28th, 2004, 01:32:37 PM
I've read through most of the posts about this discussion and I, too, am torn. Though I'd really love to see 7, 8, & 9, I'm miffed at the way the prequels have been turning out thus far. I plan to see EP III for the sole scene of the 12 minute long duel and the final turn to the darkside. That's it. The rest isn't important to me.

I've read the books from the beginning all the way up to Vector Prime. (Minus any that are part of the Young Jedi series). I still can't get past the first paragraph of Vector Prime. I think the point I became disappointed with the books occured around the time Han and Leia reproduced. Sorry, the Solo Brats spoiled it all for me. I really didn't like that Luke married Mara, either. Don't ask me why because I don't feel like going into it.

Granted, the first six films center around the life and times of the Skywalkers - particularly the whiney Anakin - but (for me) there are other tales in the SW EU that I wouldn't mind seeing on film.

Life certainly didn't end for the Skywalkers after EP VI and there are atleast few good tales that happened after ROTJ.

Though, instead of seeing EP's 7, 8, & 9 on film, I wouldn't mind seeing a few television mini-series (NOT ANIMATED) based on the EU books. Granted, it'll never happen, but I think it'd be kind of neat to see some of the EU books brought to life (so long as they did follow the books).

As for this whole prediction thing of Lucas considering doing the final three episodes - months ago it was posted that he renewed the rights to SW to the year 2012 and had signed a deal with Pepsi (? I think it was Pepsi). I think he's been considering the possibilities far longer than people realize. (Of course, the deal with Pepsi could also have been for EP III - an edited aside).

Whether he does them or not remains to be seen.

Lady Vader
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:32:03 AM
A TV min-series I would love to see is the X-Wing books. They're light-hearted, not full of technobabble, and (at least to me) have that SWish feel to them). Besides, it steers away from the whole Skywalker line, so it would be something fresh, and yet within the SW universe.

I guess I wouldn't mind seeing Ep. 7-9 so long as someone other than Lucas directed it. (And I still think Zahn's trilogy would be fun.)

On a note totally unrelated to this discussion...

I don't mind it. The anticipation is sauce for the goose. Similar to why the Olympics only come every four years.

Technically, it's every two years now (fours years spaced was the old way). Summer Olympics one year, skip a year, Winter Olympics the next year, skip one year, etc.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Ok, you may continue with the discussion at hand. :)

Charley
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:42:16 PM
Originally posted by Lady Vader
Technically, it's every two years now (fours years spaced was the old way). Summer Olympics one year, skip a year, Winter Olympics the next year, skip one year, etc.

Nobody cares about the winter olympics.

JMK
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:51:32 PM
I do.

AmazonBabe
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:28:47 PM
Actually, I kinda enjoy the winter olympics a wee bit more than the summer. (Go fig... this coming from the person that despises cold weather.)

Charley
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:13:45 PM
Originally posted by JMK
I do.

Shut up Canadia. :rolleyes

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:20:51 PM
I like them both. :D

JMK
Sep 9th, 2004, 08:00:36 AM
Shut up Canadia. :rolleyes

Nah, I'd rather watch you eat your words.

TieFighterPilot181st
Sep 9th, 2004, 04:06:48 PM
The one thing I'd like to see if there are more sequels made, is the Rebels taking Coruscant.

DarthVader_Sith_Lord
Nov 25th, 2004, 04:46:24 PM
I doubt George Lucas will be making a 7, 8, and 9.. but, anything's possible, I suppose. It would be cool if he did, I must say, but, I just don't think he will. I bet he's just fine with all of his money, pissing into a pile of 100 dollar bills. I'll research into this subject, however... O_o

Karthon Vanar
Nov 25th, 2004, 05:00:33 PM
What do you think he would of said to that question just after, no not even having finished Return of the Jedi?

Time and more importantly money move most mountains :)

Although I am aware of his current stance, I wouldn't take this as set in stone. There'll be some sort of spin off or reinvention one day.

DarthVader_Sith_Lord
Nov 25th, 2004, 06:44:33 PM
Why do so many people not like George Lucas? I mean, let's see you direct Star Wars movies. You'd be horrible at it.

JMK
Nov 26th, 2004, 07:57:34 AM
People who know Lucas either love him or hate him for the same reasons. They hate him because they see him as greedy, or they love him because they see him as a genius creator/businessman.

Karthon Vanar
Nov 26th, 2004, 08:12:40 AM
Originally posted by DarthVader_Sith_Lord
Why do so many people not like George Lucas? I mean, let's see you direct Star Wars movies. You'd be horrible at it.

I'm not sure if you were referring to me. If so I'm not sure where you drew that conclusion from my post. Please elaborate if you will.

I was merely commenting on the likelihood of someone doing more with the Star wars product in the future.

I personally think he was very creative in his work. As JMK said though others may have a different perspective but its not one I hold.

There are better directors to be sure but the material he created and imagination, as well guts it took to invest in it, was ground breaking.