PDA

View Full Version : Fromt he you have to be kidding file....

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 21st, 2004, 05:49:21 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/20/1092972754654.html?oneclick=true

Request to mods : Give anyone a holiday who brings up a certain themed ladies entertainment product along these lines pls. That's a joke done to death.

I do have to seriously wonder how anything liek this can be such a long standing "fad" for want of a better term. While the article explains it to some degree, it still does puzzle me how it's possibly lasted this long and indeed, grown. There is an entire store in Chatswood devoted to this crap and it does quite good business.

I think I've seen a lot of fads come and go over the years, but Hello Kitty must be the one that's stayed around. Cant really think of any fads I've been caught by (well rollerskating is one mebbe).....

Makes me wonder when yo-yos will make their comeback

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 21st, 2004, 05:57:38 AM
Makes me wonder when yo-yos will make their comeback

Already happened in the UK. 3 or 4 years ago, IIRC.

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 21st, 2004, 06:04:34 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
Already happened in the UK. 3 or 4 years ago, IIRC.

And how many times before that? They seem to return every 5 - 7 years.

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 21st, 2004, 06:12:26 AM
Nothing wrong with a bit of yo-yo-ing! It's good wholesome fun :D As for Hello Kitty, I don't know what's keeping it afloat, but my mum has bought into it and gobbles the merchandise up like there's no tomorrow.

imported_Eve
Aug 21st, 2004, 07:54:26 AM
I'm not trying to be stereotyping, but the only people I see with Hello Kitty stuff are either Asians or Goths.

Asians also seem to have some cartoon frogs on everything, like their daytimers and checks. I saw it all the time in college and I still see people walk in to my office with this stuff. Grown, adult, Asians.

There is also a group of 30-something people that come to our clubhouse everyday to catch Spongebob Squarepants.

We're all weird and commercialized.

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 21st, 2004, 08:02:41 AM
Well, my mum is neither a Goth nor is she Asian. I suppose she just likes the ridiculously pink and fluffy adorable nature of it all. I used to have a Hello Kitty shirt, when I was about 10, even though I had no idea what it was all about, only that it looked cute.

Spongebob Squarepants.

Oh there's a whole new kettle of fish there. I'm looking at you, Hot Topic.

Cardinal Aiyalin
Aug 21st, 2004, 08:03:38 AM
I used to love Hello Kitty when I was.. 7 :)

I had a Hello Kitty backpack, and combs.. Along with Strawberry Shortcake, the Care Bears, My Little Pony..

and since I played fair, I also had Transformers, He Man, and a crudload of Star Wars toys.

But seriously.. I have to wonder if the majority of this is youthful nostalgia.. Hello Kitty was popular in the 80s, and anything that was popular in the 80s is making a pretty serious comeback. There is a huge resurgence in interest in Atari and the old Nintendo systems, toys from the 80s are back... even the styles from the 80s are making their way (hello.. parachute pants and Member's Only jackets?).. I'm not complaining, but then I grew up in the 80s and I loved it.

Darth Viscera
Aug 21st, 2004, 09:50:18 AM
I welcome a comeback from all of this 80's crap:
Transformers
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (heroes in a half shell, turtle power)
80's music which I can't ordinarily remember but sends me into fits of nostalgia whenever I hear it on TV anyways
big 80's style hair on girls
Ollie

And to the rest! Sens interdit, au revoir!

Morgan Evanar
Aug 21st, 2004, 10:31:40 AM
big 80's style hair on girls I am now a saddend panda.

Hello Kitty is bizzare.

Lain Esuna
Aug 21st, 2004, 01:55:49 PM
You're a panda? O.o Heh, can I kill you a sell your fur and other bodyparts? I promise to share the wealth with your family. Wait even better, will make you wear an american flag t shirt deally thing, and put you on TV!

No seriously though, morg and I know a girl who has a hello kitty helmut. (lfull faced moto helmut ) It's pink and has the kitty thing, with a scarf... waving maybe? Anyway, yeah.

Demon-Kieran
Aug 22nd, 2004, 07:20:55 AM
Vis: TMNT is already making a comeback. At least, here in California, anyway....

-DK.D.

Darth Viscera
Aug 22nd, 2004, 01:54:56 PM
oh good. glad to see that they've read my post and are moving swiftly.

Demon-Kieran
Aug 22nd, 2004, 03:15:28 PM
Uh, Vis, they were making a comeback well over a year ago....

-DK.D.

Darth Viscera
Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:02:01 PM
:rolleyes don't be silly. I hadn't even said anything a year ago. jeez.

Demon-Kieran
Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:30:11 AM
oh-kay.....*backs away* :D

Dan the Man
Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:39:34 PM
My sister's dorm is stocked with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles bathroom products.

I don't understand this whole retro thing. Its not like she's old enough to understand the Turtles anyway.

Demon-Kieran
Aug 23rd, 2004, 02:15:14 PM
I used to collect the old Turtles figures and watch the older movies and animated series....and I don't remember if there were comics or not, but there were books, most definately, and I had those....

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 23rd, 2004, 02:20:47 PM
I had a crate full of Turtles figures. They used to have wars with the Ghostbusters.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:20:13 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Telcontar
Request to mods : Give anyone a holiday who brings up a certain themed ladies entertainment product along these lines pls. That's a joke done to death.

You do realize that you're the one who is guilty of making all of those jokes, don't you?

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:00:32 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
You do realize that you're the one who is guilty of making all of those jokes, don't you?

:rolleyes

You do realise that this thread was a sitter for a joke that well beyond it's used by date and I actually wanted a bit of serious discussion - or at the least new jokes? It also seems it's been a long time since I've ever posted that joke, I'm not the only one who posted it too.

So...

:p

imported_Firebird1
Aug 25th, 2004, 11:01:11 AM
Bah, old jokes never go away... They just get re-done over and over again!

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 25th, 2004, 01:49:10 PM
Since I started the hijack of the "billion dollar Hello Kitty Empire THIS IS SERIOUS" topic, I'll darn well finish my hijack.

*puts on 'naughty schoolteacher' glasses, and grabs a ruler to jab at a conveniently placed blackboard*

Ahem! I think we all could use a little history lesson. The subject in question was first introduced to our beloved boards not by DT, but by in 2001. It was secondly mentioned AGAIN in 2001 by <a href=http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8346&highlight=hello+AND+kitty+AND+vibrator>Jedah Lynch (http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8437&highlight=hello+AND+kitty+AND+vibrator>Jedah), not by DT. (:uhoh I hope J.L. isn't like Beetlejuice...)

THEN in 2003 *smacks ruler into blackboard timeline* we have a whole thread of people guilty of mentioning and discussing humorously said ahh...thing. At the end of 2003 we have <a href=http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32824&highlight=hello+AND+kitty+AND+vibrator>Marcus (http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29812&highlight=hello+AND+kitty+AND+vibrator>Hello) bringing up the item in question once more. A measly four (4) threads *hitting the black board again* addressing the Hello Kitty Vibrator.

Oh well, now there are five.

*removes glasses, shoves blackboard out of the thread, and tosses the ruler out too* And now, back to your serious discussion of the Billion Dollar Hello Kitty Empire.

(and I dare someone to say his name one more time to find out if he's like Beetlejuice!!!)

Edit: There are 363 topics that include both Hello, and Kitty, but most of those are probably people saying hello to Kitty/Sorsha.

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 25th, 2004, 01:52:31 PM
So Nuriko was the source of all of this madness! Thank you, Miss De'Ville. That was very informative! :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 25th, 2004, 01:55:58 PM
I live to serve the people. *bows*

Slayn Cloak
Aug 25th, 2004, 04:53:55 PM
What ever happend to her?