View Full Version : We're Ok

Cardinal Aiyalin
Aug 15th, 2004, 12:43:10 PM
Hey everyone.. I can only stay on for a few moments.. My aunt in Orlando has had power returned to her home, so I'm visiting today to get into the AC..

Here's my status..

Trees are down all over the place, just this morning have people been able to clear all the trees so we can get through.

We had two huge pine trees fall, but they managed to fall parallel to our home (and not right on top of it).

We still don't have power, and it may be up to 7 days before we actually get power back. At least three transformers blew on our block (we saw them through the storm), and power lines have large pine trees resting on them.. So needless to say, our utility company is going to have fun getting us power back. Since we have no power, we have no phone (and all of our food has rotted out of the fridge).. Since we have a well, we also don't have water (thank god we have a pool). Speaking of power.. Thank god it's raining.. Otherwise it would be 90 and sunny, which then might cause me to think about suicide. Instead it's 90 and cloudy, which is a little better.

Our roof seems to be ok.. No major damage to us, but the entire Orlando area has been smashed.. So many beautiful trees have been obliterated, it's going to be a while before it will be cleaned up. It's pretty scary looking at all the tall oaks and pines that were toppled (especially into people's homes)..

Cell phone towers near our homes were wiped out, so I don't have any cell phones either.. No way to get in contact with the outside world. I'm trying to limit travel since no station in the Orlando area has gas. The only stations that have gas are in areas about an hour away, and the lines there are tremendous..

But other than that.. No one was hurt, my entire family is doing ok. My parents don't have power, but everyone is ok. We were pretty lucky.. no one was hurt in my neighborhood (that I can tell)..

School is out until Wednesday. You can *try* to call my cell at 321 662 1402 or 321 662 1401, but the best you may be able to do is leave a message.

Everyone take care.. Once my power gets reinstated, I will post again.

Until then, adeiu :)

Love always,
Jen

Edit: Looters will be shot on sight. ;)

Morgan Evanar
Aug 15th, 2004, 07:08:13 PM
Glad you're safe. Hopefully the power co will have it up and running shortly. Is Orlando on Florida Power & Light?

Cardinal Aiyalin
Aug 15th, 2004, 09:03:03 PM
**still at aunt's house**

Well.. some of Orlando has FPL, the rest has OUC.

As far as I know.. in Orange Co there are still over 125000 FPL customers without power and 80000 without power through OUC.

We have OUC.. the only bad thing is the transformers being blown, and the fact that our power lines have trees resting on them. That's signaling to me that it might be a little bit before we can get power back. My aunt lives closer to downtown Orlando, and they have their power back already. I'm jealous, but at the same time I'm really happy.. since they are the only people (family and friends) that we know who has power. My parents are using a generator hooked to their RV to live in, and everyone else was roughing it for a while.

The only bad thing is that everything in my fridge bit the big one, no restaurants are open, and most of the food at supermarkets has been spoiled.. so we are scrounging for things to eat. Luckily Titusville (about an hour away) has power.. so we've been driving out there to eat.

spada
Aug 15th, 2004, 09:30:11 PM
Curse you Charles!!! Good to see that you're alright and I hope everyone else in its path is ok too

Charley
Aug 15th, 2004, 09:41:55 PM
Originally posted by spada
Curse you Charles!!! Good to see that you're alright and I hope everyone else in its path is ok too

Shut up or I'll destroy your city

Cardinal Aiyalin
Aug 16th, 2004, 09:36:03 AM
Damn you Charley! :)

Look at what you've done!

There are 4 hour lines for ICE, and people are getting into fistfights in gas lines.

Orlando is beginning to deevolve into a feudal society.. soon we will be wearing bear skins and chanting to the almight power gods.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 16th, 2004, 01:57:35 PM
Be sure to take pictures!! :D

Seriously, glad you're okay, and I hope you get power back soon!!! :eek

Cardinal Aiyalin
Aug 17th, 2004, 10:38:13 AM
POWER'S BACK

** does a little happy dance **