PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds

Phantom
Aug 13th, 2004, 07:01:38 PM
I was surfing through Cinescape when I came upon this (http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Movies&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=42320)

I'm actually kinda interested to see what Spielberg would do with the movie.

CMJ
Aug 13th, 2004, 08:16:22 PM
I saw this a few weeks ago, when it wasn't his next project. I'm interested in any Spielberg flick.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 13th, 2004, 09:16:32 PM
I just hope it will be better than the last Wells film update. Both the Island of Dr Moreau and The Time Machine were horrible films. Still Spielberg will help it, still not sure if it can match George Pal's film which was amazing film.

Zasz Grimm
Aug 13th, 2004, 10:33:56 PM
I don't think they're should be a remake. The original was awesome.

And the radio transmission in the thirties made people think it was real, that we were loosing the world.

That's solid enough, let it be.

JMK
Aug 14th, 2004, 10:07:25 AM
You know they aren't going to do that! Not when there's money to be made!

Phantom
Aug 14th, 2004, 05:05:14 PM
You know they aren't going to do that! Not when there's money to be made!

No kidding, because they don't have enough money as it is. lol.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 10th, 2004, 07:46:23 AM
Resurfacing this old thread since the teaser is out, here

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/waroftheworlds/large.html

It is a good teaser, showing nothing and only using the opening monologue from the novel. With Spielberg involved I think this could be a very good movie, especially if they follow the book more since the novel is very different from the original movie.

Shawn
Dec 10th, 2004, 07:58:25 AM
They're probably going to wind up showing too much of the aliens. :\ I liked how you basically never saw them (except for a hand at the end) in the original. I'm a little bit interested in it, but I don't have very high hopes.

Am I the only one who thought Signs took more than a little influence from War of the Worlds?

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 10th, 2004, 08:01:56 AM
Just about everything has ripped off War of the Worlds from ID4 to Signs. From what I read this one is going to be more like the novel. In the book it focused more on a family trying to escape the path of the alien warships. In this one Cruise is playing that part. There is a scientist in the film and he is played by Tim Robbins. Honestly, I am not worried when it comes to Spielberg he rarely makes a bad movie.

darth_mcbain
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:47:10 AM
The trailer looks pretty good. With Spielberg, this looks to be a pretty good movie. I'm hoping it doesn't suffer too much from Cruise (sorry, I'm just not a big fan of his). I wonder if they'll follow the book in how the aliens are defeated. I haven't read it in a long time, but if I recall correctly, the way the aliens are defeated is somewhat of a letdown. Though it works in the book, it may not work too well in a movie.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:44:03 PM
It was a virus like in 50's film. Not sure how they will approach it in this movie.

Gav Mortis
Dec 11th, 2004, 03:38:03 AM
I'm looking forward to this. When I was about eight, my dad handed me the audio story on a series of large records and I sat there for hours, listening. I was totally enthralled by the story, and terrified. While the film was good, it simply didn't have the same impact on me all those years ago but I have high hopes for this. Only thing is that I have the same fear as Shawn in that I feel they're going to show to much of the aliens instead of keeping exposure to a bear minimum but we'll see. If Spielberg respects his source material enough, who knows?

Figrin D'an
Dec 11th, 2004, 01:41:01 PM
While the first film was good in many ways, I wouldn't mind seeing a version that is a little more faithful to Well's original story. I'm interested to see what Spielberg can do with this.

The story's conclusion must remain the same, however. It was a commentary by Wells on how the world's evolution could backlash against man's push for techological advancement. A central theme in his stories was man/technology vs. nature/natural law, and the final defeat of the aliens is one of the more bold ways he highlighted this. To change it would fly in the face of everything Wells wrote about.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 11th, 2004, 06:16:48 PM
Yeah I can see that, might want to change it slightly end a little different from the original film. Sure Spielberg will come up with some unique way of doing Wells ending.

darth_mcbain
Feb 7th, 2005, 09:39:49 AM
Dug this up again... On the website http://www.waroftheworlds.com/ they have the new TV spot. It's pretty short, but not too bad looking.

LightKnight
Feb 7th, 2005, 10:58:55 AM
I had a chance to be an extra in the post invasion, but not a big fan of Cruise's ,so I passed on it.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 7th, 2005, 11:13:56 AM
It looks it might be good that trailer really didn't show anything maybe they are just teasing us right now.

darth_mcbain
Feb 7th, 2005, 11:54:08 AM
Originally posted by LightKnight
I had a chance to be an extra in the post invasion, but not a big fan of Cruise's ,so I passed on it.

I agree - Cruise just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I'm hoping that this will be more of a Spielberg film than a Cruise ego-fest, but who knows. Still, it looks like it could be decent - I doubt I'll actually go to this one in the theaters, but it looks like a good rental.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 7th, 2005, 01:26:47 PM
Originally posted by LightKnight

YOU HAD A CHANCE TO BE AN EXTRA AND YOU PASSED ON IT?

I have no more words.

LightKnight
Feb 7th, 2005, 06:52:40 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
YOU HAD A CHANCE TO BE AN EXTRA AND YOU PASSED ON IT?

I have no more words. :lol :D

They were doing some filming in Lexington, VA?? (outside VMI) and a former agent asked if I wanted to be a survivor or military personnel. I couldn’t tell you if they actually filmed there or not, just they had planned on it.

Don’t get me wrong I would have loved to have been in a Stephen Splieberg film. I just could not have handle being around a bunch of Star struck extras, going gaga over Mr. Cruise. I could see all the extra’s getting all crazy and worried if they would actually being in the same scene as him.

Now don’t get me wrong T.C is a big star and I’m not but, he isn’t good looking, suave nor a good actor so I just don’t get his appeal. So rather subject myself to the torture I would have had to endure, I passed.

LightKnight
Feb 7th, 2005, 06:53:53 PM
Originally posted by Darth McBain
I agree - Cruise just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I'm hoping that this will be more of a Spielberg film than a Cruise ego-fest, but who knows. Still, it looks like it could be decent - I doubt I'll actually go to this one in the theaters, but it looks like a good rental. You took the words outta my mouth :thumbup

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 7th, 2005, 07:04:21 PM
Man I'd be thrilled to be an extra in *any* movie (no pr0n please). But I have no hook-ups.

Jinn Fizz
Feb 7th, 2005, 10:10:04 PM
Tom Cruise doesn't do much for me one way or the other, but it's a Spielberg movie, so that gets my attention. Plus, this is one of the few movies out there where I'm okay with seeing some kind of remake. Don't get me wrong, I adore the George Pal version (seeing the wires holding the Martian ships up just adds to the charm), but it wasn't the same story as the original novel, so I'm game for seeing if they do tell a story that's closer to what Welles wrote.

The short ad shown during the Super Bowl looked nifty, although my first thought was, well, people are definitely going to compare this movie to ID4. Which isn't fair at all, since War of the Worlds itself came long before ID4, and as was mentioned earlier in the thread, it was an obvious inspiration for some of the events in ID4.

I just wonder what the Martians are gonna look like. :cool

Peter McCoy
Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:01:22 PM
What!? You mean you've never seen a Martian!? How weird are you!?!?!?! :p

I can't wait for this film. I basically agree with everything positive thats been said so far - and I like Tom Cruise. An unusual choice for this film, but a very good actor in my opinion. I'm looking forward to this one.

Shawn
Mar 2nd, 2005, 09:01:37 PM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
I just wonder what the Martians are gonna look like. :cool I sincerely hope we don't find out.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:32:12 AM
Well if they show them they need to wait till towards the end like in the original film. I think the addience caught a glimse of one half way through the film but you really only saw them at the end.