PDA

View Full Version : Well, it coulda been worse

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 12th, 2004, 06:11:15 PM
Hello people. I guess it's kinda obvious that I'm not around much. Sorry bout that; I've been trying to get a net connection and all, but things keep popping up that seem to take all my money away. Hell, I don't even have a phone yet.

Anyway, I figured I'd give you guys an update of how things have been lately, so here goes. The house is great, and despite what Charley says, I love it. Sure, it's a little empty, but that's ok. I've got enough furniture to where I'm comfortable.

Like Charley said earlier, it seems that we've been latched on to in a way. I want to call him either Intruder (of SomethingAwful fame) or Threshold Cat.

What Charley didn't tell you was that the night the cat decided to shack up with us, I was driving to work, spun out, and hit a tree. Now the rear driver side panel needs to be either hammered out or replaced. The front tire came off the rim, so I had to have that put back on, though that part was free. The busted window however is not going to be free. Everything else seems fine; there's a little undercarraige damage, but other than that, the frame seems fine, the engine runs, etcetera. I'm fine. Sore, but otherwise fine.

When it happened, I was more mad than anything else, really. I'm still a little peeved, but oh well.

And here's some pictures of the car. Further proof that yes, for the most part, cars cannot move trees.

http://akrabbim.com/images/Christin/DSC01114.JPG

It doesn't really look TOO bad at this angle for some reason, but trust me. it got pretty messed up.

http://akrabbim.com/images/Christin/DSC01115.JPG

Now we start to see just how close to getting myself to the tree (and consequently smashed) I was. Strangely enough, the door still closes. There's a gap, but it closes.

http://akrabbim.com/images/Christin/DSC01116.JPG

Another lovely view.

http://akrabbim.com/images/Christin/DSC01118.JPG

I've already started taking the inner panels off so I can hammer it back out. Hopefully that will work. It's looking like I need to remove the back seats though to get the panel all the way off. There's glass everywhere :(

http://akrabbim.com/images/Christin/DSC01119.JPG

This is the only damage to the underneath. Easily fixable, as far as I know.

http://akrabbim.com/images/Christin/DSC01120.JPG

Here you can see just how deep it goes in. Now imagine that just a little further forward. All things considered, I consider myself damn lucky.

http://akrabbim.com/images/Christin/DSC01121.JPG

Another view.

http://akrabbim.com/images/Christin/DSC01122.JPG

And finally, from the back end. As you can see, there's a gap now between the body and the hatchback.

So that's it. Nothing else I can think of to say, except that I'll be on sporadically.

ps - Alabama is fun. When I'm not spinning out into trees ^_^;

Charley
Aug 12th, 2004, 06:12:56 PM
:wave

Hello? You on Akrabbim's computer?

No pics of Cirr?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 12th, 2004, 06:14:04 PM
I am. I'm doing laundry and stuff. Haven't gotten the camera over to the house yet though :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 12th, 2004, 07:18:41 PM
wow! Thank God you're okay. :hug

Cardinal Aiyalin
Aug 12th, 2004, 07:22:00 PM
Wow.. you were pretty lucky..

Glad you're ok :)

Morgan Evanar
Aug 12th, 2004, 07:22:21 PM
Um, I think this means you needed to spend money on tires? I know I have to get a fresh set once I'm home.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 12th, 2004, 07:45:48 PM
Thing is, the tires aren't even a year old.

Mu Satach
Aug 12th, 2004, 08:36:45 PM
Ouchies... Glad you're ok!
AND that the car still runs.

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 12th, 2004, 08:37:22 PM
Hammer THAT back out? Good luck. Your going to need a porta-power, time, patience, a gas axe, dollies and a BFH. Or two. If you look int he Gallery, the VR-4 when it smited a tree had similar damage and look how far we had to remove panels to fix it. I'm afraid it's not a job you can do yourself. Panels replaced for sure, maybe even B Pillar replacement.

Cheaper and faster to replace, I think.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 12th, 2004, 08:39:14 PM
Yeah, but it doesn't mean they aren't crappy. :(

Were you speeding or something? The only time I did anything to a car was when I was either on 3 hours of sleep (5mph bump in stop&go) or I was driving the speed limit... around a corner on crappy tires with plenty of tread. I'd find a dead Integra of a simliar vintage and put your good bits into it.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 12th, 2004, 08:53:01 PM
I was going ten over. Thing is, it's a 45 mph road, not a 35. What I might do is just go to a pick and pull, get the whole damn panel + window, and have it put on.

Thanks Holly, Bel, and Mu :hug

Morgan Evanar
Aug 12th, 2004, 08:58:09 PM
:(

http://panicked.org/SA/240/PICT0012.jpg
^
Why I suspected crappy tires :( It sucks, but I'm glad you're ok.

:hug

Zasz Grimm
Aug 13th, 2004, 12:05:41 AM
holy geeze! Glad your ok! And also glad everything seems to be ok, and working out?

And I'd like to add, when I was around you, I sat there. I'm really glad I wasn't sitting there.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 13th, 2004, 12:25:28 AM
How on earth did you fit Zasz in the back of your car?!

Zasz Grimm
Aug 13th, 2004, 12:37:13 AM
as one of the guys at a gas station...saw me getting in and stared....he was like..

"it's magic!"

Trust me, it is no easy task. That and James is a bastard for not letting ME WHO IS BIGGER...sit in the front.

Slayn Cloak
Aug 13th, 2004, 12:47:14 AM
I hate it when they do that...

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 14th, 2004, 08:09:58 AM
Yeah, heh, that was pretty impressive, wasn't it.

And I've started hammering it back out, and you know what? It's working. slowly but surely, it's going back to the shape it once was. Though I put a new dent in the back corner accidentally without thinking, but oh well ^_^;

The good thing is I'm able to hammer it back out.

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 14th, 2004, 08:34:56 AM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
Yeah, heh, that was pretty impressive, wasn't it.

And I've started hammering it back out, and you know what? It's working. slowly but surely, it's going back to the shape it once was. Though I put a new dent in the back corner accidentally without thinking, but oh well ^_^;

The good thing is I'm able to hammer it back out.

S'il, I know my panel work. I'm afraid your not goign to fix it with just a hammer. Seriously, your deluding yourself if you think it's goign to work properly. You may not want to hear this, but I'm telling you, I can see B pillar damage and weakening, your going to need much heavier and dedicated equipment to fix it and probably panels.

The big problem is the B-Pillar and given how important it is to the overall strength of the car, I would be getting it checked by a professional.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 14th, 2004, 08:59:22 AM
Oh I know I won't get it looking perfect and stuff. I'm not that out of it. Of course I'll be getting it looked at, but due to monetary constraints at this time, getting most of the dent out is pretty much all I'm worried about. When I have the money, I'll get it done right. But until then, I just need it to get me to and from work.

Kelt Simoson
Aug 14th, 2004, 12:15:54 PM
Glad your cool sil, but as Charley said...wheres the cat?

AmazonBabe
Aug 16th, 2004, 05:20:12 PM
Glad to hear you're ok, s'Il. :hug

As to the car... :( Hammering it out is a good temp-fix, but like Marcus said, it's gonna need a bit more work. I dunno about the B-pillar he was talking about (well, I have an idea), but I was also looking at that gap between the door and gimondo dent. Be sure you get a good hammering doen so the weather stripping hugs snuggly with the car. You don't want cold rain getting into your car.

Thankfully it still runs though. Engine replacement woulda been worse.

Also, if you're worried about the treads on your tires, do the penny-check.

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 16th, 2004, 05:59:42 PM
Thankfully it still runs though. Engine replacement woulda been worse.

Ehhhh.... I dunno. In the end, engines are pretty logical to fix. even a FWD gearbox* is simpler and less time consuming than panel work.

* Although I think AWD gearboxes are evil. For comedy, ask Morgan what happened when removing gearbox from VR-4 -_-

AmazonBabe
Aug 16th, 2004, 06:05:52 PM
If by gearbox you mean transmission, yeah, I heard about it at dinner last night. From the sound of the story, it was definitely on it's way out. :x

Silus Xilarian
Aug 17th, 2004, 12:53:05 AM
Why were you trying to move trees? :(

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 17th, 2004, 07:46:16 AM
Originally posted by Silus Xilarian
Why were you trying to move trees? :(

This, is incorrect.

S'il in the past has indicated some interestin rallying. Now, you may not believe this, but trees in the forest are like Ents of LOTR - some are dumb and sit there, others move - the rare but deadly ones are Killer Trees. They leap out in front of you, wrecking your car and then dragging both you and themselves back to the edge of the road, laughing madly at another car kill.

She got hit by a killer tree. There's no escaping them, except to ssacrifice to BEGARK, the great Chicken Deity.

Yes, that's a total WTF is he on abot type of post, but I'm telling you man, they exist. The trees move, they speak. They hate cars. They are comign to get you. Killer Trees.

AmazonBabe
Aug 17th, 2004, 02:34:52 PM
I thought the great chicken diety was El Pollo Diablo?