PDA

View Full Version : RIP Rick

Ryan Pode
Aug 6th, 2004, 01:25:53 PM
http://et.tv.yahoo.com/newslink/

Rick James... with us... no more. :(

Anbira Hicchoru
Aug 6th, 2004, 01:28:22 PM
I blame Dave Chappelle, who killed him with that horribly overplayed joke.

JMK
Aug 6th, 2004, 01:43:30 PM
Wow that was fast. Just a few short months ago he was busy getting arrested with some young folks for going a little over board with their partying.

R.I.P. Superfreak...

Jedieb
Aug 6th, 2004, 06:14:05 PM
Rick James didn't have a problem with the joke. He was on the Chapelle show and part of the skit. If you want to blame someone, blame Cocaine. "Cocaine is a hell of a drug!" And blame the people who thought they were as funny as Dave Chapelle and kept using Dave's catch phrase over and over.

Charley
Aug 8th, 2004, 07:49:04 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
Rick James didn't have a problem with the joke. He was on the Chapelle show and part of the skit. If you want to blame someone, blame Cocaine. "Cocaine is a hell of a drug!" And blame the people who thought they were as funny as Dave Chapelle and kept using Dave's catch phrase over and over.

I think your humor device may be broken.

Jedieb
Aug 9th, 2004, 01:15:20 PM
I couldn't even begin to say how many of your devices are broken. That was an actual quote from Rick James himself. Not Dave Chapelle and not even from the parts Rick James had in the sketch. Honestly, don't you have anything better to do than to troll my posts? Get a new hobby.

Darth Vader
Aug 9th, 2004, 01:31:04 PM
I couldn't even begin to say how many of your devices are broken. That was an actual quote from Rick James himself. Not Dave Chapelle and not even from the parts Rick James had in the sketch. Honestly, don't you have anything better to do than to troll my posts? Get a new hobby.

:rolleyes

It isn't my fault you have to kill a joke and go into some unnecessary discussion about the catchphrase's origins. As for your nuggets of wisdom in the political threads, this is completely unrelated to this, so save the dramabomb for another day.

Jedieb
Aug 9th, 2004, 01:58:49 PM
Yeah, someone else mentions the skit first and then my commenting on it is unnecessary. I didn't know I had to follow the prescribed Charley rules of discussing Rick James and Dave Chappele. Do you hurt yourself when you come up with this crap? You're trolling and everybody knows it. But go ahead and disillusion yourself as much as you want. :lol

Darth Vader
Aug 9th, 2004, 02:05:04 PM
I think you have a pretty skewed definition of trolling there. So you're saying I posted a joke, knowing psychically that you'd cleverly counterpost, and that my master plan would unfold and I could get the steal, and the troll at the buzzer?

ReaperFett
Aug 9th, 2004, 02:12:43 PM
Corners you two.

imported_Grev Drasen
Aug 9th, 2004, 03:43:54 PM
Yeah, someone else mentions the skit first and then my commenting on it is unnecessary. I didn't know I had to follow the prescribed Charley rules of discussing Rick James and Dave Chappele. Do you hurt yourself when you come up with this crap? You're trolling and everybody knows it. But go ahead and disillusion yourself as much as you want. :lol
Yay for overreacting.

Back on topic, I think I hear Dave Chappelle's career going down the toilet. He's a funny guy, and I love his stand-up, but I hate the Chappelle Show... and it sucks to see that's what has gotten him so recognized rather than his hilarious stand-up specials.

Ryan Pode
Aug 9th, 2004, 10:37:10 PM
That's why like two weeks ago he just signed a 30 million two year contract extension.

Jedieb
Aug 9th, 2004, 10:50:09 PM
Back on topic, I think I hear Dave Chappelle's career going down the toilet. He's a funny guy, and I love his stand-up, but I hate the Chappelle Show... and it sucks to see that's what has gotten him so recognized rather than his hilarious stand-up specials.
He just signed a $50M deal with Comedy Central for a couple of more seasons for his show. The deal was so high because he was able to get in on some of the DVD revenue. The first season of his show was the best selling TV DVD of the year and the ratings for his show are some of the best the network gets. His standup is great, but the TV show isn't far behind. It's certainly working out for him better than he ever could have imagined.

imported_Grev Drasen
Aug 9th, 2004, 10:59:10 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Pode
That's why like two weeks ago he just signed a 30 million two year contract extension.
I should have rephrased what I was trying to say.

Money wise he's doing great, but he can't even do stand-up shows anymore without the crowd heckling him with stupid catch phrases. His career is doing great right now as far as popularity goes, but after the novelty of his stupid catch phrases wear off I'm sure he'll be forgotten.

Jedieb
Aug 9th, 2004, 11:04:32 PM
He's been at this for awhile now. I figure his show has 2-4 more decent years, and then he'll go back to stand up. I remember the first time I saw that episode, it was hysterical. You can't really blame him for people running it into the ground. I don't think he's going to be "forgotten." He's a successful comedian and he'll probably stay that way. He may not get much farther than he is now, but he's going to be popular for years to come. I think his next stand up special is going to be on Showtime. Which blows for me because I've got HBO. :(

Ryan Pode
Aug 9th, 2004, 11:14:05 PM
Do you have HBO indemand? Because if you do, he has a comedy special running now.

Jedieb
Aug 10th, 2004, 04:06:12 PM
Ah crap, I got off before I read that. :(

Ah Maddox, you bring a smile to the world:
http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=chappelle
(Adult language, beware.)