PDA

View Full Version : I think it's dead ( my pc )

Slayn Cloak
Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:32:45 PM
This is a private message I sent to morg, becuase he built my pc, but maybe someone could help trouble shoot. The two of us can't " see " anything wrong. Morg did a lot of the wiering himself though, so I'm hoping he can poin us in the right direction. Anyway, any sudgestions would be great. :)

Ok so I'm not sure what's happening, but my pc is freaking out. Two of the fans aren't turning on, the one on the side of the case ( on the removable panle) and the fan for the procesor. So I'm adrians, and everything seems to be ok, but we're not sure how the fan wires should even look, so yeah. Anyway, after being on for a few minets, like three for example, the pc will die. It will seem on, but all the fans will be off, and it won't display anything. Anyway, if you have any idea what's happening or can offer anykind of advice/ comfort it would be most helpfull.

Darth Viscera
Aug 4th, 2004, 01:11:28 AM
If your CPU fan is not functioning, then you shouldn't turn on your computer for extended periods of time until you get it fixed. Your CPU will overheat. You shouldn't keep it on for 3 minutes at a time.

Slayn Cloak
Aug 4th, 2004, 02:12:14 AM
No I haven't turned it back on, there are three other fans working, and the side pannel is off, the fan mounted on the processer is one of the ones not working. If I knew, or understood morg's wireing( I don't know that much in this case ) I cold check for a short or something. I'm hoping my power source has shorted or something simple to replace.

Lord Vali
Aug 4th, 2004, 02:27:11 AM
I had a fan die due to dust inhalation once.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 4th, 2004, 02:31:49 AM
Just replace the processor fan. They die sometimes. Also, clean out that heatsink. Its very good but it collects dusts.

Slayn Cloak
Aug 4th, 2004, 07:35:19 PM
OK, I'm getting paid for the fireworks display I shot, ( as an apprentice) for the USO at bayfront park. I might go ahead and replace the case too. Is that all that the prob is though? What other things should I be concerned about?

Darth Viscera
Aug 5th, 2004, 01:47:05 AM
nice case (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-144-026&depa=0)

do you know how to install a motherboard into a case? this can be serious business, you know.

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 5th, 2004, 02:40:51 AM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera
nice case (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-144-026&depa=0)

do you know how to install a motherboard into a case? this can be serious business, you know.

It's dead esay if your halfway competent with a phillips head screwdriver

Edit : OMG, my eyes! It's a Ricer case! Hey kids, it's the huge wing on a bog standard Civic version of a PC case!

Morgan Evanar
Aug 5th, 2004, 03:01:39 AM
There isn't a good reason to replace the enlight 7237, unless you want something that weighs less. There is an Antec power supply in it. Seriously, just replace the fan on the cpu.

Darth Viscera
Aug 5th, 2004, 03:36:54 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Telcontar
It's dead esay if your halfway competent with a phillips head screwdriver

Edit : OMG, my eyes! It's a Ricer case! Hey kids, it's the huge wing on a bog standard Civic version of a PC case!

I see room for 4, maybe 5 80mm fans, whereas his 7237 has 2 max unmodded. What's ricer about that? Always good to keep things cool.

Tear
Aug 5th, 2004, 03:50:33 AM
I think he was referring to the Neon lights...

Darth Viscera
Aug 5th, 2004, 05:10:41 AM
i'm thinking more of functionality than aesthetics. judging by what i see on newegg just searching by the number of fans that come installed, all computer cases these days come complete with neon lights, rear spoilers, gold chains, mardi gras beads and an optional street-smart Puerto Rican with a saucy attitude. *shrug* either way.

this case (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-156-133&depa=0) comes with 4 fans installed, and looks like there's room for a total of 8 fans.

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 5th, 2004, 05:56:03 AM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera
I see room for 4, maybe 5 80mm fans, whereas his 7237 has 2 max unmodded. What's ricer about that? Always good to keep things cool.

Oh? And what's wrong with a decent Antec black case, with 450 watt power supply, with more cooling mounts, solid, well designed.

And more importantly, the air flow is properly done - doesnt matter how mnay fans you stick in your ricer cases, if the air flow isnt designed right, they will suck.

My present case has one fan, but good air venting - given that Aust is a much hotter enviroment generally, it's goign to show up cooling issues quick.

All those neons and poof designs are just there to suck the money from gullible wallets. Gimme a real Antec anyday.

Darth Viscera
Aug 5th, 2004, 06:15:40 AM
nothing wrong with that, just needs a link

Charley
Aug 5th, 2004, 10:05:53 AM
This thread is reminding me to stop being a lazy, tight-fisted jerk and fork over cash for another 120mm fan.

Slayn Cloak
Aug 5th, 2004, 11:22:56 PM
Man, we can't figure out your wiring. Man, you've known us for years, you have to remember we're idiots.

Anyway, I'm not going to buy a case online; Sans my impatience.
I'm getting $170. for a days work, I'm getting something... something cheap... from somewhere. Also, replacing the case is generally a good idea because for one, the case that I have now has several holes in it, which from by the looks of it, had probably another fan in it. I was always going o buy a new case, it just wasn't a priority, now's a good time to do it, IMO. I also want to pick up some more ram, but I really don't see tha happening. I figure online I owuld have to spend $80. so in a store it will prolly be a lot more. I'll shop around...

Edit *

Ok, we decided we should test our thery before we change anything. Jehova was like, wait, what if it's something els?!?! SO, anyway, we took the fan closest to the power supply,( I'll go ahead and assume you memorized the layout or something.) and relocated it to cool the procesor/ heat sink. ( I also cleaned the heat sink, it was discusting; I atribute the fan malfuntion to my usage habbits, and disgusting dust.) It seems to be working fine, thought I'm still getting a new case. BTW this makes eight minets of operation with this set up... so, once again you're right. This seems habit forming...

Morgan Evanar
Aug 6th, 2004, 02:40:13 AM
You moved the rear exhaust to the CPU? Ok. That should work for now.

Dreco Sunstrider
Aug 6th, 2004, 07:56:50 PM
It's fixed.

Slayn Cloak
Aug 6th, 2004, 09:32:55 PM
yeah, it's in a new case, but I need to find the manual for this board. I want to connect the front usb ports and head phone jack. You know where I might get it morg?

Darth Viscera
Aug 7th, 2004, 04:04:18 AM
check your motherboard manufacturer's website, they always have them there. you'll need to know the name of the manufacturer and the exact model number.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 7th, 2004, 04:15:13 AM
Front USB ports shouldn't be hard, but I doubt you'll be able to hook up any "headphone" port to it, as there are no audio headers aside from the ones on the back of the board.

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=6

The manual should be lurking in there somewhere. I'll be able to give you the paper one in about a week or two.

Slayn Cloak
Aug 7th, 2004, 12:39:41 PM
Kool, and thanks, we just don't know where grounds need to go and ect...

Edit* This is the case I bought, you can make fun of it if you want marc, the price was right. I don't really like the lights, but I've gotten used to them. I do however like the clear pannle. The things that atracted me the most, umm estetically, where that pannle and the fromt display.( not the lighs but the buttons and usb connections. )

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=720575&Sku=D15-1010

Edit** Also the manual on the pageyou sent me to is a pdf, normal and no problem; however it requiers soekind of password to view it.