PDA

View Full Version : Range Report for 7-30-04

Sanis Prent
Aug 1st, 2004, 10:13:15 PM
Well, this weekend was pretty fun. I was invited by SachielDVangel, a poster from Something Awful to come to the Fraternal Order of Police firing range in Birmingham, along with with another SA member named Drav, plus our very own Akrabbim and s'Ilancy. Its my first time to go to that range, so I was pretty stoked. Despite heavy rain early on, I can safely say that everything rocked.

Rifles we had were:

Remington 30-06 bolt action w scope (Akrabbim)
Beretta Storm 9mm carbine (Akrabbim)
Sporterized Yugo SKS with scope and bipod (SachielDVangel)
Romanian WASR-10 AK-47 (SachielDVangel)
Yugo SKS (Drav)

Pistols:

Springfield XD40 full size (me)
Springfield XD9 subcompact (Drav)
Sig .380, which I have forgotten the model name (SachielDVangel)
Glock 26 9mm (Akrabbim)
Beretta Neos .22 (Akrabbim)

Shotguns:

12 gauge, pistol grip, no stock. Forgot the model (SachielDVangel)
12 gauge, pistol grip. I also forgot the model of this one (Drav)

First off, we hit the rifle range, which was incredibly fun. Most of the time, we spent sighting in the SKS's and the 30-06 at the 100 yard steel plate. Also got to try out the WASR-10, but it wasn't really practical for plinking steel at that range. I enjoyed it nevertheless, and am convinced that its the next gun I want to buy. Oh, and sighting Akrabbim's 30-06 is eventually a bitch on the shoulder. Just thought I'd mention that >_<

The SKS's were very fun as well. I got comfortable with working the stripper clips, and finding my way around with it. It's a very fun plinker, either sporterized or vanilla.

We ended up bringing out the Storm carbine for kicks, which turned absolutely hilarious when I was hitting steel with it more consistently (iron sights) than Drav with the scoped SKS. The scope was slightly off, but it was still pretty funny.

We then went to the steel plate pistol range. It was my first time to shoot steel, as I usually shoot paper at 7-15 meters at another range. Let me tell you, I was thoroughly humbled. What I got out of it all is the cold hard truth that I've really got to work on my trigger pull. Eventually, I managed to improve slightly, but I'm much less accurate than I want to be. Time to do some serious dime drills at the least, or consider getting my trigger mechanism touched up.

Drav's XD9 is absolutely godlike. I was curious to see how it would fire, being a subcompact, but it truly was a pleasure to shoot. Despite how small it was, it was very controllable, and didn't recoil much. Sachiel's Sig was a good shooter as well, and was pretty forgiving.

We finished up with shotguns, and tried Sachiel's wristbreaking monstrosity. Maybe its because of my small and girly hands, but holy crap how does anyone shoot a shotgun without a stock, using anything higher than birdshot loads? I didn't even finish the mag tube off and had to pass it off. Drav's shotty was very comfortable, though.

I wish we had pictures, but none of us thought to bring a camera. Maybe next time. At any rate, I had an awesome time out spitting brass.

As a final note, s'Il slept through most of it, if not all. She's odd.

Arya Ravenwing
Aug 1st, 2004, 10:15:14 PM
Aw tired s'Il. Speaking of her, where is she? Let her out of your basement and to a computer!!

Sanis Prent
Aug 1st, 2004, 10:19:41 PM
She is currently at work, putting life and limb on the line in the name of Phifer Wire Company.

When she is not there, she is living in her new (and SCARY) house, down a scary empty road, next to a scary broken bridge, across from a scary cornfield, and a stone's throw away from the Argonne Forest, which somehow got teleported from France.

imported_Akrabbim
Aug 1st, 2004, 10:27:53 PM
Complete with scary ghost 101st Airborne and scary ghost German tanks.

And scary Ghost Germans.

BTW... shooting guns wuz cool.

Slayn Cloak
Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:08:17 AM
Scary ghost germans sound abnormally scary... I can imagine them screaming and moaning in german.

:: shivers ::

Lord Vali
Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:53:13 AM
I missed it all :(

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 2nd, 2004, 07:45:42 AM
Charley forgot to mention the cemetary about 30 seconds up the road. One thing I'd like to add - Charley seems to be the only one of the two of us who is creeped out by the house. I love the place.

But anyways, I'm still alive, and working (sorta kinda) on getting my net up. Heck, my comp is still up in Ak's office; well, until later this morning. I'm finally moving it to the house now.

And yes, I slept through the entire shooting outing, including most of the drive there, and the drive to the movies, barely made it through Bourne Supremecy (Charley kept forcing Mr. Pibb Extra down my throat during the movie), and then slept all the way home.

Miss you guys lots, and I'll be back asap.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 2nd, 2004, 07:02:36 PM
Something tells me you aren't getting enough rest.

Tsk tsk! Take care of yourself!! :(

Darth Viscera
Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:35:21 PM
I think she's just suffering from day/night reversal due to the fact that she has to work the night shift.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:57:33 PM
oh, I wasn't aware.