PDA

View Full Version : Please help clarify something...

JMK
Jul 30th, 2004, 12:17:54 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/South/07/29/candybar.arrest.ap/index.html

Could someone please tell me what eating a chocolate bar or a french fry has or ticketing a cerebal palsy patient for swearing has to do with preventing terrorist activity?

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 30th, 2004, 12:22:37 PM
That is just completely stupid, I mean somebody could have been getting murdered a block down and they probably say that arresting her was more important. How stupid, I mean ticketing her is one thing, but arrest her what in the heck is wrong with these cops.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 30th, 2004, 12:32:56 PM
I didn't read anything in that that said they were trying to prevent terrorist activity. Looks like the subway transit police were getting a bit out of hand, yes, but if that's their policy..? Then they're just doing their jobs.

The transit company should relax though.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 30th, 2004, 12:38:20 PM
Well I agree there, I think the article made it sound like that but we just had a carried away tranist worker. Most likely they won't even fine her much like they did the cerebal palsby kid.

The Man in Black
Jul 30th, 2004, 01:00:10 PM
The District of Columbia as a whole is notorious for being a bunch of circle-jerking authoritarian fascists. I am not suprised at this turn of events.

But hey! We're cool with trading in personal freedoms for security, right?

I'm not sure what horrible version of the future we're heading toward: Fahrenheight 454 or Demolition Man.

Both would be horrible beyond horrors.

JMK
Jul 30th, 2004, 01:39:57 PM
Hey, a future with nothing but Taco Bell around is alright by me! ;)

I didn't read anything in that that said they were trying to prevent terrorist activity. Looks like the subway transit police were getting a bit out of hand, yes, but if that's their policy..? Then they're just doing their jobs.

You're right, there was no specific reference to those arrests being made to prevent terror, but it did say :
"Washington has been under heightened security because of the continuing threat of terrorism. And last week, police declared a citywide crime emergency over rising juvenile crime."

I'm still wondering how on earth a candy bar or swearing relates to terrorism at all? Or preventing crime on any level?

I can agree that they're just doing their jobs and following orders...but who the hell is issuing these orders?

Nathanial K'cansce
Jul 30th, 2004, 04:28:02 PM
I totaly agree that it is messed up that they did that. I put up an away message last night when I went to work poking fun at this arrest.

The only possible thing I can think of as to why she was arrested was that she sassed the officer.

I read the article on Yahoo! and it said the officer had said that had she given her ID to him, and not walked away, it would have been fine. But the fact is, he told her to finish it up, and she put the rest in her mouth and threw out the wrapper in a garbage bin. Yet, the police dude followed her. I probably would have sassed him too.

Of course, why they have the law of no eating is beyond me.