PDA

View Full Version : The Village

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 27th, 2004, 11:58:39 AM
The new Trailer is out for this movie it looks very strange (in a good way)

http://thevillage.movies.go.com/

Not sure what, "They are" can't wait to find out. Defintely a must see for me.

Madmartigan
Apr 27th, 2004, 02:20:03 PM
I love Shylman movies so to me its a must see, I heard last night they were going to show some footage for it when they aired The Sixth Sense on ABC, but it didn't watch so I am not sure.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 27th, 2004, 02:27:18 PM
I think it was this new trailer, that is what I assumed at least.

darth_mcbain
Apr 27th, 2004, 05:25:55 PM
Looks good. I've liked all of Shyamalan's stuff so far - this looks to be pretty good too.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 27th, 2004, 05:29:34 PM
You only have to say M.Night Shyamalan and I'm there. Much like you only have to say Pixar and I'm there :)

jjwr
Apr 28th, 2004, 04:34:33 AM
Wow, great trailor. I love his movies, so far they've all been very good and this one looks like it could be the best yet.

JMK
Apr 28th, 2004, 06:42:20 AM
I had never even heard of this movie, when I was watching the trailer for the first time attached to Punisher I was like "This looks like an M Night Shyamalan movie". I've been less and less impressed with each of his movies. Ah well. :\

Commander Zemil Vymes
Apr 28th, 2004, 10:12:51 AM
The exact opposite for me. Every successive film he's done has topped the one before it.

JMK
Apr 28th, 2004, 12:22:54 PM
I have to backtrack a little. I liked Unbreakable slightly more than The Sixth Sense, but was sorely let down by Signs.

Dan the Man
Apr 28th, 2004, 12:23:53 PM
Signs was the best of the lot IMO.

Madmartigan
Apr 28th, 2004, 12:46:08 PM
I loved signs it was the first M movie i bought on DVD, I still need to get the Sixth Sense one of these days.

jjwr
Apr 28th, 2004, 02:00:46 PM
Signs was good, not quite what you expect but still very good. Sixth Sense was probably still my favorite but Unbreakable is very underated, gotta love the whole premise behind it.

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 28th, 2004, 03:35:57 PM
The Village looks SO scary. M. Night is one of the best suspense directors, imo. At least, he's the only one I'll watch. ;)

Jinn Fizz
Apr 28th, 2004, 11:29:37 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
You only have to say M.Night Shyamalan and I'm there. Much like you only have to say Pixar and I'm there :)

My sentiments exactly. :)

I absolutely love Signs, it's my favorite of his 3 movies so far. So I'm glad to see Joaquin Phoenix is in this new one too.

Another one to add to my list of must-see movies for this summer!

darthspringlove
May 3rd, 2004, 09:24:47 PM
I was looking foward to this movie a lot, until I actually read the ending. I have no problem with him using twist in each of his movies but this one is bad. I have checked a bit, and it seems that this is the real ending, though early word was it might be a fake one to throw the public off. As the movie gets closer though, it seems that this twist is the real one and it WILL ruin the movie for most. It is THAT BAD!!!

If anyone wants, I can post it with spoiler tags...

Lilaena De'Ville
May 4th, 2004, 10:40:03 AM
Don't you dare!! The temptation would be too great. Plus, it's probably not true anyway.

darthspringlove
May 4th, 2004, 03:53:42 PM
Ok...but I would say it is a true ending...based on the quality of the screenplay I read, and how many insiders are starting to say it is true.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 29th, 2004, 01:14:28 PM
Just to get us started on the new M. Night Shamalamalamalan (help I can't stop!) movie, here's a link to two critics debating on whether he's a talent, or a hack.

Click on the "Read more..." in the picture, I couldn't get a direct link to the article. http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/netcal/?netcal=1013&GT1=4244

Edit: I'm looking forward to the movie, although it looks a lot scarier than his others. Or maybe I just can't remember how scary the other trailers looked, now that I've seen the movies. Anyway, I'm terrified.

jjwr
Jul 29th, 2004, 08:39:41 PM
I'm not seeing the Read More anywhere......

Stafford
Jul 29th, 2004, 09:35:15 PM
Signs had some of the best cinematography I'd ever seen. The scene with the blade under the door, and the reflection. Man, I'll never get over that. :D

I'll definitely see The Village.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 29th, 2004, 09:37:43 PM
I want to see the Village badly I have avoided just about all reviews etc, I want to go in really surprised :)

James Prent
Jul 29th, 2004, 11:46:57 PM
Originally posted by jjwr
I'm not seeing the Read More anywhere......

Darn it, it's gone now. :mad

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 30th, 2004, 12:47:55 PM
I just saw it and I really liked here are my thoughts

Now don't read this spoiler material unless you really want to be in on the surprises

Ok first off I love the tone of the film at the beginning, it was a very good way to begin. The way he slowly worked his way into the story. It got us to know these characters and like them. Now for the plot, I had a feeling before it was revealed that the creatures weren't real. I thought Adrian Brody there was running around in a suit of somekind (I was half right) and the rest there was a logical explanation to everything. I didn't see the fact the Elders were behind it all, except the skinning of the animals (that was all the half-wit, which made sense, man he was a psychopath). And Wow, I sure didn't see him knifeing Lucius I thought no way, are they going to kill him half way through the movie. Even though he lived he was still in a bed the rest of the movie. Man for giving top billing he sure had a short part. Now really the big shock for me was the end, I didn't see that coming I read the plot synopsis that this was 1897 which made sense via costumes and stuff. But then they open the box and there is a color photo so we find out it is modern day U.S what a shocker that is (it is kind of cool though). Also liked the cameo by M. Night there, I love it how he is in his movies :) As for acting, the best jobs were done by Ron Howard's daughter (she did a very good job, IMO) William Hurt, (he was great) and of course Brody (man he sure played a weird character). The supporting cast did a good job as well. Overall a very good movie not sure how it ranks with his others, of hand I say its better than Unbreakable and I think I liked it better than Signs but I would have to watch it again to really have that opinion.

Razielle Shadana
Jul 31st, 2004, 08:22:21 AM
I was sooo psyched to see this and I was so let down. :( Lucius getting knifed was admittedly part of the whole plot, but it took Joaquin out of the equation which slowed the movie down IMO.

When William Hurt's character said something about 'there being stories when they had arrived about creatures in the woods' I thought "Okay good there's still hope for this movie yet" but then once again I was bummed.

The twist ending was okay, but they could have followed up with more Lucius at the end.

I thought acting wise, everyone did a top notch job. I just expected more of a scare factor from this one. :\

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 1st, 2004, 05:25:14 PM
I saw it last night - VERY thought provoking. The short version of my review is that I felt like Carr did (mostly) and my husband thought the way Razielle did (mostly). :)

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 1st, 2004, 09:30:10 PM
Heh yeah I think the movie is going to be a love/hate kind of movie, it is defintely different, but his films generally are. At least is an original film this summer, everything else has pretty much been sequels and retreads.

Nathanial K'cansce
Aug 2nd, 2004, 09:36:45 AM
I dunno, I liked it. I agree with Razz's last statement, that the acting was really good, but I wanted a scarier movie. Ya know, cause... apparently, that's how they were selling it.

Arya Ravenwing
Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:44:32 AM
Yeah, my husband says that M. Night is a liar, because his movies are always promoted in one way, and turn out being something else.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:34:43 PM
I blame Disney there they promote the moves, M Night doesn't do that it isn't his job. Disney should not have promoted this as a scary movie that is there fault.

AmazonBabe
Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:00:39 PM
I saw the movie this past weekend. Joe liked it a lot. I kinda came away torn... half of me liked it and the other half was disappointed. It was somewhat of an odd feeling.

All i gotta say is I want one of those creature costumes for Halloween! :lol

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 2nd, 2004, 06:54:35 PM
Originally posted by AmazonBabe
All i gotta say is I want one of those creature costumes for Halloween! :lol

I'd be scared. :eek

Crystal
Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:25:23 AM
I'd seen the trailer, but didn't think twice about it. Just seemed like a random scary movie. However, my brother took me out to see it tonight.

I forgot I'd even heard of it. untill the part where the boy is standing up against the woods, seeing how long before he gets scared. It was in the trailer.

Its was alright. More of a rental movie, though.

From the beginning, I thought it was weird the way they all acted. I was expecting them to act like the amish people we have around here, or in other movies I've seen. They way they spoke was very modern, the women having as much power in the town as the men, etc, I just thought it was bad writing and acting. Of course, it all made sense in the end.

I had the stabbing part spoiled about a minute before it happened because some idiot sitting in front of us who didn't shut up through most of the movie(untill my brother started kicking the back of his seat every time he talked. Eventually he got it and kept quiet.) He yelled out "HE'S GONNA STAB HIM!" I should have smacked the kid.

It needed one more twist before the movie ended. I'm not sure what, really, but it needed something.

The part where "they" come into the town and stuff reminded me a bit of Signs. I'd also like to have one of those costumes.

And Ivy(the blind girl) never did say what "color" he was, unless I missed it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:15:47 PM
What I love about The Villiage is the concept of the "what if...?" that M. Night takes and goes to town with. I can see the fact that some people are getting tired of the "surprise ending" which isn't so much of a surprise because you know something is coming, but all of that aside, what The Village does do is show what can too much of a good thing can do to you.

The parents in the movie, the "elders," are certainly wack jobs who have gone off the deep end in starting their new life with their kids. Or perhaps, are they simply misguided, with good intentions? I don't know of any parent who doesn't want the best possible life for their kids, and who might be guilty of sheltering their child in one fashion or another.

But, like I told a friend, there's a difference...a fine line if you will, between homeschooling and starting your own turn of the century village. I love this movie because of the questions it asks, and the answers it provides. Or doesn't provide.

M.Night doesn't provide the "Yes the Elders are wrong" answer that some may be wanting, nor does he attempt to justify them other than giving their reasons for separating from society. In the end The Village forces the moviegoer (who doesn't mind thinking about their movies) to decide for themselves.

I still haven't decided. :lol

But if nothing else, go see it for Bryce Dallas Howard - she did an amazing job in this movie, certainly her breakout role as a lead actress.

Stafford
Aug 8th, 2004, 04:53:35 PM
I thought it was hilarious when the older sister declared her love for Lucius, and the next scene was of her bawling. That was great.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 8th, 2004, 06:37:56 PM
Agreed. :lol

Charley
Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:09:08 PM
My review of the movie is as follows:

<font size=7>BLAH</font>

So yeah, it was a disappointment.

Kinda like M. Night Shyamalan's The Langoliers, I suppose. Every horror/suspense writer has to create at least one flop, right?

Stafford
Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:56:30 PM
I remember seeing that movie on TBS or something. It wasn't scary at all, just kind of trippy.

Nathanial K'cansce
Aug 24th, 2004, 02:12:53 PM
The Langoliers scared me something rotten when I first saw as a pre-10year old kid. Least I think that's how old I was. I like it just for the fact that it did scare me back then, but doesn't anymore. Same reason why I like Arachniphobia.

/hijack

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 25th, 2004, 01:55:58 AM
I'm not sure whether I enjoyed this or not o_O There were quite a lot of "Whaaaat" moments- such as the continual the creatures are real, no they aren't, yes they are. The ending just seemed to happen all of a sudden too, like the story could have gone on for a bit longer, given a bit more resolution.

And Ivy(the blind girl) never did say what "color" he was, unless I missed it.

Probably yellow... or red :uhoh