PDA

View Full Version : Vid Card Junk

Nathanial K'cansce
Jul 26th, 2004, 01:46:56 PM
Yeah, so, I think I need a new video card for my system since KOTOR won't run with the one I have. Thing is, I'm a cheap college kid, trying to save up to the upcoming school year.

What would be the cheapest vid card on the market that would be able to run KOTOR? I've been looking, and found one for $115ish or there abouts. Would there be anything for less than 100?

And also: how much would I be able to sell my ATI RAGE 128 Pro Ultra vid card for? I was thinking maybe 20-30, if I'm lucky. I really have no idea, though.

Shawn
Jul 26th, 2004, 02:22:15 PM
One Question: Do you want the videocard to be able to play other games as well, or are you getting it strictly for KOTOR? I've heard some reports that people have performance issues with ATi cards in KOTOR. So if you're just playing that, it may pay to go for an nVidia card. But if you plan on playing other games as well, I'd say look into ATi's budget card lineup.

Edit: It looks like you'll have to use an older set of drivers (4.2), but it'll work fine on ATi hardware. In that case, you can pick up a 256mb 9600 Pro for around $120. Or a 128mb 9600XT for about $140.

Nathanial K'cansce
Jul 26th, 2004, 03:43:01 PM
Definately looking for a card that can handle some other games as well.

Gah, I really need to save my money for school. But I really want to play this game.

*shakes fist at life*

Depending on how much I can get from my current card, I'd be willing to pay that price for the 9600 Pro.

Nathanial K'cansce
Aug 5th, 2004, 12:42:28 PM
Update: Seeing as I am a penny-pinching punk, or rather money is tight for me, or I'd rather spend it elsewhere, I found a makeshift solution to hold me over until I need better.

One of my friends said he had a GeForce2 just laying around and not in use, so he gave it to me in a straight up trade in for my Rage 128. Whether or not it's a smart move, I don't know. It should be able to play the games I have now (all 4 of them :lol) and hopefully KOTOR 2 and if I'm feeling spunky, Doom3.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 6th, 2004, 02:41:55 AM
LOLOLOL Geforce 2 on Doom3. A Geforce 3 baaarely runs Doom3. And yes, that was a good move.

Nathanial K'cansce
Aug 6th, 2004, 10:39:35 PM
Yea... I talked to a bud of mine who bought Doom3... he said it wouldn't run on GeForce2. But there's always hope. :lol :p

Well, I tried to install the 'new' card, and when everything was fine and peachy I go and pushed the power button on my PC.

Nothing.

So I look around, and push it again. Still nothing. I call up the bud who gave it to me, and he said to make sure there were no wires touching it. Fair enough, did that. Moved some wires out of the way, and still nothing when I push the power. On further inspection, I found that the little holding catch thing for my RAM might just be grazing the corner of the vid card.

Should that be causing a problem still? I don't think it should.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 7th, 2004, 04:09:34 AM
Should be a non-issue. I think the universe is telling you to pony up for a real video card already :p

Nathanial K'cansce
Aug 8th, 2004, 09:55:15 AM
I was afraid of that.:x Ah well. I'll re-test the g-2 tonight or tomorrow, and go from there. Thanks for all the advice. =)