PDA

View Full Version : Firefox

Syren Wyssholt
Jul 21st, 2004, 11:32:02 AM
I just have a quick question about firefox. My fiance and I are using firefox 0.8 (I think that's it) and whenever there is an updated release of a newer version (I hope I'm wording this correctly) and we try to download it, we aren't able to download it. The download box that appears already has the "Save to disk" choice bulleted and we cannot change it.

Is there a way to make it so that we can just open it and install it without having to save it to a disk?

James Prent
Jul 21st, 2004, 12:51:34 PM
Can't you just delete the .exe file after you've installed it?

Syren Wyssholt
Jul 21st, 2004, 01:38:19 PM
I don't think so. It won't let us choose to install. It forces us to save it to a disk; which we'd rather not do just because its a pain and at the moment we don't have any disks >.< We've tried to uncheck the save to disk option on the download window, but it won't remove it. We looked around in the options under tools but we didn't see anything that would let us change it so we could just install it directly instead of saving it to a disk.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 21st, 2004, 02:03:38 PM
When it says disk it means your hard-drive, not a removable storage disk (such as a floppy disk or writable CD).

Figrin D'an
Jul 21st, 2004, 02:30:49 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
When it says disk it means your hard-drive, not a removable storage disk (such as a floppy disk or writable CD).

Precisely.

Just save the installation .exe to your desktop, run the installer, and delete it afterward.

As a note, you may want to consider backing up your bookmarks (export them to a .htm file) from Firefox 0.8, then completely uninstall 0.8 before installing 0.9. I've found that doing an overinstall/upgrade installation in this case can cause some minor problems.

Syren Wyssholt
Jul 21st, 2004, 02:44:46 PM
>_< I admit to feeling really stupid at this point. I s'pose this just shows how often we really do this kind of thing o_O :wave Thanks for the help, it's appreciated.

Thanks for the tip, Figrin. I've saved the bookmarks and will do as suggested by uninstalling the 0.8 first.

Pierce Tondry
Jul 21st, 2004, 03:05:55 PM
Actually, technically you could save the file straight to a disk in a removeable storage drive if you so desired, which is sometimes beneficial if you want to download something for install on a different computer. The point that should not be overlooked, though, is that all forms of permanent storage are disks, including the internal hard disk that holds the data for your computer.

Syren Wyssholt
Jul 21st, 2004, 03:33:32 PM
Aha. Thanks for that bit of information, Pierce. Like many others, I am not computer-savvy, so the help and advice given at the forums here is deeply appreciated.

Got the updated version all installed and no problems. Followed Figrin's advice about removing the former one first and I'm really happy that nothing got screwed up. I'd hate to have to explain to my fiance just how it was that I broke the comp. >_<