PDA

View Full Version : Help me select a motherboard.

Pierce Tondry
Jul 20th, 2004, 04:22:09 PM
I intend to purchase a motherboard bundle from Mwave.com. Unfortunately, I don't have a very good background in motherboard technology. Therefore, I'm not certain what board will go well with a Radeon X800 Pro (I just listed that because I'm bragging :D) and either a 2800, 3000, or 3200 Athlon 64 processor. I've tried to hunt down a couple of recommendations from various sites, but it's hard to find ones related to my specific case. If anyone has any input I'd appreciate it very much.

Edit: A link to Mwave's A64 bundle options is here (http://www.mwave.com/mwave/ProdCPUBUNDLES-64.hmx?updepts=BUNAMDCPU&DNAME=Motherboard+Bundles+By+AMD+CPU).

Figrin D'an
Jul 20th, 2004, 04:43:36 PM
I assume cost isn't an major concern?

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket754/k8vse-d/overview.htm

yum...

but it's hard to find ones related to my specific case

Is it not an ATX form factor case?

Pierce Tondry
Jul 20th, 2004, 04:50:22 PM
Haha, no, I meant my situation, not my physical computer case, Fig. :)

To answer your question, cost is not a major concern, but it will influence what I buy in the way of RAM to go with the bundle.

Figrin D'an
Jul 20th, 2004, 05:40:36 PM
ah, okay. I read it wrong, then. I was confused, to say the least. :)

I personally like Abit and Asus, but that's me. I've had very good luck with them performance-wise. Either way, they'll be able to handle a high-end Athlon64 processor, and should have no problems with an ATI X800 video card. (Those few items alone make this thing a monster system.) For RAM, get some good quality, high speed banks to put in this sucker. Might as well squeeze as much performance out of the thing that you can.

All you need then is a couple of those 74GB Western Digital Raptor HDs, and your ready to rock. ;)

Pierce Tondry
Jul 20th, 2004, 06:04:18 PM
Actually, I picked up a 160 GB WD Raptor from Circuit City for 85 bucks about a week ago. I'm using it as a secondary storage drive with an 80 GB Seagate Barracuda that I got last year as the primary.

Figrin D'an
Jul 20th, 2004, 06:12:05 PM
Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
Actually, I picked up a 160 GB WD Raptor from Circuit City for 85 bucks about a week ago. I'm using it as a secondary storage drive with an 80 GB Seagate Barracuda that I got last year as the primary.

I mean the 10,000 RPM speed demon.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-160&depa=1

These things are insane. They kick the butts of some 15,000 RPM SCSI drives.

But, being realistic, it sounds like you're okay for HD space for a while.

Pierce Tondry
Jul 20th, 2004, 06:22:24 PM
Oh! Yesssss, THOSE are nice.

I think I probably mispoke when I called my new WD drive a Raptor. I think my brain made an uncalled logic leap due to exhaustion.

But yes, I am fine for HD space for now. The idea was to revamp the computer over time to become an uber game machine anyway, so I am not concerned with getting optimal HDs right now. The focus is on the video card and mobo+cpu.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 20th, 2004, 07:22:20 PM
I can personally attest the Abit KV8-Max3 boards for AMD 64 are fiercely great. Full featured, fast, works. Running with Corsair memory, cant go wrong. Unlike a few other VIA and nForce3 based booards, not a single problem getting them set up and hauling.

I'm personally running a AMD 64 3000+ on a Soltek with NForce3 chipset, Seagate SATA 80Gb - lightning quick but the motherboard is clearly a first build and has bugs. The Abit I've used on servers and had no problems.