PDA

View Full Version : a little advice guys?

Razielle Shadana
Jul 20th, 2004, 01:35:32 PM
For those of you who didn't know (LOL) I am completely clueless as to anything technical with computers. So here's my prob.

My husband and I are going to get a new computer, but I have no idea what to look for.

Any pointers that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Figrin D'an
Jul 20th, 2004, 01:58:48 PM
Tell us what you want to be able to do on the system. The biggest mistake people generally make when buying computers are either getting too little or too much for what they need to do.

Razielle Shadana
Jul 20th, 2004, 03:06:22 PM
My husband is more interested in using it for gaming purposes. I just do what you see here mostly but I would like enough memory/space/whatever to be able to run programs I can use right now. I think what I have now is 128 mb if that helps at all.:\

Darth Viscera
Jul 20th, 2004, 04:07:11 PM
how much you want to spend?

Figrin D'an
Jul 20th, 2004, 04:18:25 PM
Originally posted by Razielle Shadana
My husband is more interested in using it for gaming purposes. I just do what you see here mostly but I would like enough memory/space/whatever to be able to run programs I can use right now. I think what I have now is 128 mb if that helps at all.:\

If gaming is a major priority, then you'll want a machine with some power: P-4, or Athlon64 (or a high-end Athlon XP) processor; a solid video card, a sizable hard drive with good read times, and probably a minimum of 512mb of RAM (especially for Windows XP).

And, of course, like Vis said, your budget is a big factor too.

Give us a number, and we'll make some recommendations.

Razielle Shadana
Jul 21st, 2004, 08:58:45 AM
I'd like to keep it under 1,000 if at all possible...?

Pierce Tondry
Jul 21st, 2004, 09:47:44 AM
Raz: Do you intend to transfer your current internet connection to this new PC? If so, what kind (56k modem, DSL, cable modem, etc) is it?

Also, are you intending to purchase an entire pc with things like a new keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor, etc? Or are you only looking to get a new tower (motherboard, CPU, video card, hard disk, cd drive, etc)?

Darth Viscera
Jul 21st, 2004, 10:22:22 AM
http://www.swforums.net/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=676818

here's what I'm vaguely thinking of, not sure if the shop (http://www.amberpcusa.com) is reputable though, it came up on google.

Of course, it would save you a bit of money if your male could just buy up all the parts, using Sharky's value gaming PC buyer's guide (http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MVGSBG/article.php/3367281) as a general guideline, but not every male is so technically well-endowed as to be able to assemble their own PC, so that may or may not be viable.

Razielle Shadana
Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:37:31 PM
Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
Raz: Do you intend to transfer your current internet connection to this new PC? If so, what kind (56k modem, DSL, cable modem, etc) is it?

Yus, We have 2 systems on DSL.

Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
Also, are you intending to purchase an entire pc with things like a new keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor, etc? Or are you only looking to get a new tower (motherboard, CPU, video card, hard disk, cd drive, etc)?

And I want a whole new shabang :)

Originally posted by Darth Viscera
Of course, it would save you a bit of money if your male could just buy up all the parts I don't think that'll happen Visc...

Darth Viscera
Jul 22nd, 2004, 01:20:03 PM
comment on price quote from post #8?