PDA

View Full Version : I, Robot.

JediBoricua
Jul 17th, 2004, 10:19:25 AM
Saw it last night with low expectations and was surprised. I really enjoyed it and will be buying it on DVD.

Word of caution if your an Asimov fan, the only likeness to the book are the names, and the Three Laws of Robotic. From there on is a whole new film, though the message has some likeness with the book.

All in all I found it the right mixture of action, wits, comedy, and stunning cgi. I think this is the first move where I truly did not found any quirky computer image and in no point in the film was I doubting the 'existence' of the robots, cars, machines, etc.

I also liked how the director presented the future. Instead of the usual sci-fi where in just 30 years (the movies starts in 2034) everything has changed, this time around the ambience is more or less the same as an actual city, but with the new gizmos liek robots, cars, superfast highways, etc.

Great film, the best I have seen this summer.

JMK
Jul 17th, 2004, 09:40:37 PM
I thought it was enjoyable as well, but I did have a little problem with the athleticism and power of the robots. Was that really necessary?

Shawn
Jul 17th, 2004, 10:42:43 PM
Haven't seen it yet, but I have to wonder: Why do all robots' eyes turn red when they become "evil"? Do the robots' creators put in red lights "just in case"?

JediBoricua
Jul 18th, 2004, 09:11:54 AM
Shawn: That generation of robots was made by other robots without human supervision, I guess they like red!

Besides how was the audience supposed to know when they where 'evil'.

I liked the athleticism and power. The corridor scene was very well done, with some Matrix effects but no overkill.

JMK
Jul 19th, 2004, 06:48:49 AM
The eyes don't turn red, the red light is in their chest, and it's that color when they are uplinked to the mainframe receiving new instructions.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 24th, 2004, 01:09:54 AM
Just came back from seeing it - I enjoyed it. And, there are some movies that I don't enjoy, even if there aren't very many. But, I liked I, Robot. I thought the red light was a bit campy ( it could be green, or any other color for that matter ) but it wasn't too bad.

Four stars out of five.

Shawn
Jul 24th, 2004, 06:30:43 AM
Sorry, I thought the eyes were red in the trailers - my poor memory.

I saw it. It wasn't terrible, but it could have been a lot better. I feel that Will Smith was simply mis-cast; The film needed somone a little older and a little more grizzled. Someone who could pull off the paranoia angle a little better. Harrison Ford come immediately to mind, but perhaps that's because he played basically the same role in Bladerunner. :)

Also, as seems to be the case with most recent sci-fi flicks, the future is too bright and shiny. I'd like to see something a little dirtier and more grimy.

Major spoiler: VIKI reminded me an awful lot of SHODAN. Fans of System Shock 2 will know what I'm talking about. :D

The script was pretty solid, if a tad predictable (I knew that Smith's character would either be a robot, or part robot before I even saw the movie. It's just too easy.). I also knew about the zero-th law - that is, that a robot can harm a human being if it's for the greater good., so it kind of took the surprise out of that one.

I think that, with a different director and lead, it couldn't have been excellent. As it is, it's a decent summer flick that I wish they hadn't attached Asimov's name to just to sell tickets.

James Prent
Jul 24th, 2004, 05:26:14 PM
Originally posted by Shawn. As it is, it's a decent summer flick that I wish they hadn't attached Asimov's name to just to sell tickets.
Agreed.

Lady Vader
Jul 26th, 2004, 04:41:24 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
Major spoiler: VIKI reminded me an awful lot of SHODAN. Fans of System Shock 2 will know what I'm talking about. :D

O_o OMG... you're right. I hadn't even thought of that. :uhoh

Kyle Krogen
Jul 26th, 2004, 11:03:48 PM
Just saw it today, it was awsome! I think was the best movie i've seen this summer (Though I havnt seen that many)

The funniest part for me was *Achoo* sorry I'm allergic to (bleep)"

James Prent
Jul 27th, 2004, 03:28:28 PM
Darn that bleep!

:lol

Garret Treborn
Jul 27th, 2004, 09:59:00 PM
Best move this summer? I admit it was good, however it doesn't top Spider Man 2 IMO.

Rognan Dar
Jul 28th, 2004, 12:04:44 AM
Originally posted by Garret Trebor
Best move this summer? I admit it was good, however it doesn't top Spider Man 2 IMO.

I would have to agree. It was a good movie. They didn't do half bad. But I wouldn't go as far as saying that its the best.

Master Yoghurt
Jul 28th, 2004, 08:25:56 AM
I third that opinion, while it was a fun action flick, it was not as good as Spiderman II IMO.

Telan Desaria
Jul 30th, 2004, 09:02:49 PM
It was an excellent movie I must say. I have no idea how to insert spolier text so I will shut up now.

Suffice it to say It was excellent. The effects are stunning, the characters real, and the plot developed and workable. I was just sorry to see the YMRA arrive so ETAL