PDA

View Full Version : Jack Black as Green Lantern??? and other DC Films

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 16th, 2004, 12:31:56 PM
Now I hope this is a joke it is from Aint it cool news so considering the source it could be full of crap

Jack Black has closed his deal. He will be playing Green Lantern in a film that has been described as a "zany comedy version a la THE MASK." All rights to the DC comic have been worked out as well, so you can expect to start hearing more about this project in the months ahead.

Honestly I hope this is another goof in the long list of goofs that Aint it cool news has had this year (from the fake Star Wars title to the Batmobile laugher) I mean Jack Black as GL?? That is just nuts.

ReaperFett
Jul 16th, 2004, 12:32:49 PM
I heard Adam Sandler :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 16th, 2004, 12:38:54 PM
That isn't much better :p Seriously this sounds like some fake rumor that Harry has pulled out of his butt. Man that site has gone down the tubes the last year I wouldn't believe them on anything any more.

Charley
Jul 16th, 2004, 01:17:48 PM
I don't see whats wrong with either of those choices, personally.

Green Lantern is more or less supposed to be a nerd with a big imagination.

Ryan Pode
Jul 16th, 2004, 01:50:22 PM
I could careless who plays GL as long as Kato is someone respectable.

Mitch
Jul 16th, 2004, 01:57:28 PM
Well, Maybe Kyle is a nerd, but Hal was a square with integrity.

Please let this rumpr be false. If it's true, well, it'll be worse than Catwoman.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing Jim Carrey as Plastic Man. That could be funny. Then again, Plastic Man is SUPPOSED to be funny. Green Lantern is not.

And, Ryan, you need to read more comics. Kato goes with Green Hornet, not Green Lantern.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 16th, 2004, 02:42:50 PM
GL is not a comedy though which is what AICN is talking about, sure there might be some comedic moments, but he is a very serious character not a baffoon who is the butt of jokes, which is what Black usually plays. It doesn't work at all, Sandler well if he played the role seriously maybe. I always thought Jude Law would be a good choice, or go with an unknown, but I would get Superman working and make a Wonder Woman movie I ever even touched GL. Also Ryan I think you are talking about Green Hornet, completely different character.

JMK
Jul 16th, 2004, 02:45:28 PM
I think people mix up the Green Hornet and Green Lantern often.

Jack Black as Green Lantern = :x Just not the right guy for it.
Jack Black as Green Hornet = :lol

Mitch
Jul 16th, 2004, 02:45:42 PM
I'm waiting to see if Batman will be any good. If it isn't 100% top-notch, then I'm going to firmly be put in the mindset that DC should not make any more movies, because unlike Marvel, DC can't translate a character to screen for crap.

There are reasons people like the comics. Those reasons are what you should focus on when making a film. Not be like Ron Marz and change everything the moment you get your hands on it and turn it into a world of suck. (See Green Lantern issues 47-128 for examples, as well as the current ones, too.)

Ryan Pode
Jul 16th, 2004, 04:50:02 PM
Bah. I always get Green Lantern, Green Hornet, and Green Ranger mixed up. God forbid someone be forest or kelly...

Dan the Man
Jul 16th, 2004, 05:18:01 PM
Don't forget the Green Arrow

ReaperFett
Jul 16th, 2004, 05:50:30 PM
And Green Goblin :D

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 16th, 2004, 05:58:18 PM
Lol alot of Green characters. I disagree with you about the Marvel Vs DC thing. Already we have an average Hulk movie and the F4 has the makings of a major bomb so I wouldn't say that Marvel is in much better shape. Other than X-Men and Spiderman the other Marvel characters haven't lived up, IMO. I think you should have no worries about Batman, that movie seems like it is going to be awesome, I predict it will be the best comic book film when it all said and done and it will make the F4 look even worse. GL, well lets pray this is a rumor that is just made up.

Droo
Jul 17th, 2004, 11:46:11 AM
Originally posted by Mitch
I'm waiting to see if Batman will be any good. If it isn't 100% top-notch, then I'm going to firmly be put in the mindset that DC should not make any more movies, because unlike Marvel, DC can't translate a character to screen for crap.

Granted the last two Batman and Superman films were dire, but what about their predecessors; captured the characters brilliantly if you ask me.

jjwr
Jul 17th, 2004, 12:40:05 PM
Well for now Marvel is way ahead, until DC puts out a Comic Movie that tops 100Million then Marvel will be king.

Yeah Hulk was Average but it still made a fair amount, even Daredevil did well. Punisher wasn't huge though. Spidey 2 is making up for all of them.

The problem DC may have is most of their characters are incredibly powerfull and unlike the Marvel counterparts it will be hard to make them believeable and put a human element into it.

GL is incredibly powerfull, he would have to be toned down for a good movie to work, ala the X-Men.

As for AICN....I don't follow this much but those Batmobile pictures we were seeing for a while were fake?

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 17th, 2004, 08:31:12 PM
This was a long time ago, they showed a picture of the batmobile and it was some large scale toy one somebody had built, this was like March or something. The new ones are real though. Well I think Batman will break DC streak, I can't see it not making 100, I think it could top 200 as good as it looks.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 17th, 2004, 10:01:56 PM
Talking about X-Men and DC well this is from AICN

Warners finally gets it right! SUPERMAN RETURNS! The Confirmed Details Spill To Earth!
Hey folks, Harry here... it is with a great deal of relief, joy and happiness that I can lay out what is happening with the Man of Steel.
As of Today, the deals for Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty & Dan Harris have been closed to helm & write from scratch the new SUPERMAN film. This is the X2 team. The team that made, arguably the best of the Marvel Films (arguable only because Raimi nailed the hell out of SPIDER-MAN 2).
The J.J. Abrams script has been completely tossed out. Not of shred of it will remain. That McG ordered SUPERMAN cybersuit (Brilliant Ideas From Mr Hot Wheels, eh?) that Stan Winston's brilliant craftsmen were paid zillions to create is GONE! Today, long time sources like Frosty Skywalker, Sir Etch-A-Sketch and Sir Magnadoodle... those last two have been in the hallways of Warners for the better part of the past decade... and have access to every room. Frosty wrote to tell me that Bryan was signed, and that LOGAN'S RUN and X3 were now dead. While the first part of that is true... LOGAN'S RUN and X3 are not dead. The word from the halls of Warner Bros is that LOGAN'S RUN will be the film that Bryan Singer will make immediately after the Man Of Steel lands in theaters near us all. HOWEVER - if you begin talking to spies at Fox in Tom Rothman's offices and adjoining offices... X3 will be made after SUPERMAN by Singer, or Fox will leave him behind and continue forward with a new director. It'll be interesting to see how the cast will take to that... I know they all love Rothman so. He's a really cute dude, very lovable and obviously the reason that series has been the success that it has been. No, no, really. Ok, maybe that's a fib.
Details on SUPERMAN RETURNS, which is what Team Singer and WB seem to be calling it, are few and far between. But one source, that proved to me today to be quite close to some Warner exec that strikes an amazing resemblence to Lex Luthor himself, hinted to me that this film does not throw the Donner films away and allegedly somehow has something to do with their timeline and history!!! So... from the title, all we're left with is... he must have left, and now he's back. Does that refer to the child of Krypton's absence from theaters, Metropolis, our Planet or what? Will 3 & 4 be canon or merely tragedies? If he's returning, one can assume that he went somewhere, and now feels the need to be back... but why? Where'd he go? Why's he back? I can say though... SUPERMAN RETURNS will not be an Origin Story. We're not going to walk through all that molasses for the umpteenth time, waiting for Kal-El to do something or become Superman again!
The confirmed details are: Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty & Dan Harris are on board. It will not be an origin story. And something regarding the Christopher Reeve films and that universe has something to do with this. (though that last one is a shady detail... My source heard that, but when they did... there was no elaboration for the how, what, when, where or why of it.)
I assure you... I'm on this case like Comet, the super-horse! That's right, I'm your super-stud!
While Warners continues to be the craziest most bi-polar studio on planet Earth... It seems they're nailing BATMAN BEGINS... and they finally have a team that I can get enthusiastically pumped up about. Now if only GREEN LANTERN was being done justice the way New Line proposed to Warners in a faithful 3 film Green Lantern Corps super epic. But, a comedic riff by Jack Black... that's just as good right? Sigh. No matter, the team behind X2 will once again have all of us believing that a man can fly!

Now I think Singer would do a brilliant job with Superman but I would rather not see him jump X-men. Also considering the source I will believe it when I see. AICN hasn't been doing a good job lately.

Mitch
Jul 17th, 2004, 10:31:00 PM
Wow, I never realized that guy was so ANNOYING!

Yeesh!

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 18th, 2004, 01:01:18 AM
Who Harry yeah he can be very annoying plus he slings a lot of false stories too, so I don't know if I believe it. I will wait to see what Variety and Hollywood Reporter says they are the reliable sources.

Mr Dust
Jul 20th, 2004, 08:50:24 PM
I'm personally pulling for someone with a very dry wit. Kyle seems to have that. I don't think Jude law could pull that off, personally, though he does have the look.

As for his power level, I REALLY hope they don't tone it down. That's one of the main things about the GL... he literally has the most powerful weapon in the universe on his finger, and he has to deal with it. I'm sure the temptation to be evil has to be huge. I have no problem with him wiping the floor with normal people... he should be able to. Not to mention, there have been several villians who were more than able to hold their own against the ring, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Ryan Pode
Jul 21st, 2004, 08:54:32 AM
Warning Mature Language. Not for children.

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=archives&date=2004-07-21