PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Cross-overs

Kyle Raiden
Jul 9th, 2004, 01:13:28 PM
Marvel characters did get crossed over a lot, especially when it came to the cartoons. There was a Daredevil/Spiderman one (they're supposed to be in the same city, I think), a few with the Hulk and Fantastic Four, and I think Captain America was supposed to be involved in Wolverine's history somehow. Silver Surfer was in Fantastic Four...I think he had a comic to himself. Oh, and there was the massive "Madamme Web" one in Spiderman, where you ended up with Spiderman, the Fantastic Four, Captain America, Storm, and one of the other X-Men (I don't remember which...might've been Rogue) fighting against a whole host of bad guys.

But anyway...if you could see any two sets of Marvel characters on the big screen together, who would it be? Spiderman and Daredevil would make a good combo character-wise, but I'm not sure how well they'd go on-screen - they were pretty different films. Daredevil was much darker...both in story, and in film pigmentation. Spiderman in Daredevil 2 would work better than Daredevil in Spiderman 3, I think.

Oh, and there was one other thing. I seem to remember Spiderman and Blade in the same place...what Blade a Marvel guy?!

Zeke
Jul 9th, 2004, 01:28:59 PM
I don't want to see any cross overs in the movies, especially not with Blade. Blade to me doesn't fit in the same place as Spiderman or Daredevil or the X-Men.

JMK
Jul 9th, 2004, 01:40:45 PM
While it would be cool if there was a cameo of another character, I wouldn't want a Fantastic Four movie to become a Hulk movie. Or a Daredevil movie to become a Spider Man movie.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 9th, 2004, 02:04:20 PM
Well its more than crossovers, Spiderman is best friends with Johnny Storm of the F4 but I don't think he will be making any appearance in a Spiderman film. Mainly it would just be too costly.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 9th, 2004, 02:58:27 PM
I don't know about cross-overs, but I'd love to see Spider-Woman.

Dan the Man
Jul 9th, 2004, 03:04:52 PM
Patton's got all of the "merge" comics around here. Some of them are quite interesting.

Wolverine + Batman being the best of course :)

Katina Van-Derveld
Jul 9th, 2004, 03:21:35 PM
I think he just meant having one character in the other's film, not the Amalgam comics. I think that's just entirely too far-fetched for the bigscreen.

Spider-Man and Daredevil would be dead simple, except for the fact that they're put out by different studios who've decided to never have them cross-over. Ben Ulrich, the reporter guy in Daredevil, works at the Daily Bugle and is a good friend of Peter's. Also, the Kingpin is very much a Spidey villan, too. Spidey and DD make a good team. Too bad it'll never happen.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 9th, 2004, 10:49:27 PM
Marvel cross-over movies = time to firebomb the theatre.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 9th, 2004, 10:56:08 PM
Thank you for expressing your opinion. But please, tell us what you really think.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 10th, 2004, 12:38:50 AM
Yeah Marcus lets not troll the thread with such talk. If you don't like Marvel just say it and move on.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 10th, 2004, 01:13:20 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Yeah Marcus lets not troll the thread with such talk. If you don't like Marvel just say it and move on.

My remark is a flippant remark, not a troll. Do I have to add a :D to indicate it's supposed to be humourous?

You know my stance on the staff - I 100% support them and have never said anything bad agaisnt their calls, but really.... that's being called a troll? That's not right.

If you want a 10 page missive on why I think Marvel cross overs are nothing more than a time wasting attempt to drag every single cent out of the fans in what will propbaly be badly done cash ins, then sure, I can do that. But, I see that a one liner is all I really need to express what is my honest opinion of the concept and I wish not to waste more time expressing that opinion.

I for one dont really mind Marvel comics, but I have truly found cross overs to be silly. While I also found spiderman contemptable, I love X-Men and Daredevil. I shudder however how much a crossover could (and probably will) suck.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 10th, 2004, 01:31:03 AM
Well its the way you said thats all I don't have a problem if you say I don't like it and don't have to give a reason just don't give a statement like burning down theaters to me that is something that isn't really funny but that is my feeling on the matter.
About Crossovers they don't suck in the comics but they have issues and issues to deal with everything, in film it would be impossible but that is my opinion at least.

Figrin D'an
Jul 10th, 2004, 02:55:05 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Well its the way you said thats all I don't have a problem if you say I don't like it and don't have to give a reason just don't give a statement like burning down theaters to me that is something that isn't really funny but that is my feeling on the matter.

I thought it was pretty obvious his statement was in jest. I think your sarcasm detector is broken. I would hardly call it a trolling remark.

I personally think that doing any crossover films would be a mistake.
It gives the perception of being very gimmicky, and to be honest, it's only going to take one or two bad superhero films to start a backlash against the current superhero film fad. I think it's been somewhat fortunate so far that all of the big name comic films of the last 5-6 years (X-Men, Spiderman, Hulk, Daredevil) have ranged from reasonably good to excellent. There hasn't really been a big stinker among them yet. When there is one, though, it's going to hit the comic-to-film movement hard, especially if it's a big name.

Don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed several of the comicbook movies in recent years, particularly X-Men. I just don't think it's going to last forever, and I think a crossover runs a much greater risk of being awful than a standard superhero adaptation.

Kyle Raiden
Jul 10th, 2004, 06:20:45 AM
I'm not actually asking whether a cross-over would be any good. It won't happen. Simple as that. Whether or not the cinemas are going to make them, whether or not you would go and see them, whether or not it will suck...don't care. Didn't ask. I just want to have a discussion about which Marvel characters would work well on the big screen. Anything else is not required in this thread.

Let me re-phrase the question. Which Marvel comic cross-overs did you like? You understand that one any better? No complaining. Just talking about which ones could, in an ideal world, if done properly, look cool.

ReaperFett
Jul 10th, 2004, 07:56:17 AM
I try to not think about it, as it can't happen most of the time. One that is doable though is Elektra/Wolverine, hint hint Avi Arad :D

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 10th, 2004, 11:02:31 AM
Well I don't think that is funny, burning down a theater is not funny, IMO, that is horrible.

Jedieb
Jul 10th, 2004, 12:33:20 PM
There just comic book movies. (jedieb ducks force frying pans) Crossovers wouldn't destroy much. I've enjoyed most of the ones I've read. Although hen you're favorite character doesn't "win" the customary first encounter face off you tend to get dissapointed. And that's the usual pattern crossovers take. First, the two heroes duke it out. Either it's a case of mistaken identity, one's being controlled by a villian, the two just don't get along, blah, blah, blah. Then they decide to team up and take on either one major baddie or they switch off and take on the other's arch nemesis. Spidey battles the Joker while Batman takes on the Kingpin, etc. If I had to pick a cross over I think I'd like to at least one "new" character get some major screen time. Something like Iron-Man & Spidey, or the Hulk and the FF.

Kyle Raiden
Jul 10th, 2004, 01:51:36 PM
I remember seeing a list of all of the Marvel films on the forums somewhere. My memory is patchy...some of the stuff I remember is a little bit hazy, so I'm not sure I'm remembering it right. Anyone remember where abouts the list was?

Either I'm going insane, or I remember reading somewhere that Men in Black had something to do with Marvel. Is that right?

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 10th, 2004, 10:09:36 PM
Well they had Batman and Superman in the works for a while, who knows if that will ever get made. If they do it should be minor Marvel heroes, maybe Captain America vs Hawkeye or something.

Kyle Raiden
Jul 11th, 2004, 04:25:42 AM
You might get a few cross-overs with minor characters, maybe. The guy that created it all had a cameo in Spiderman (during the scene with all the big balloons), and was also the guy that Daredevil stopped getting run over by a taxi. The reporter who was investigating Daredevil might pop up in Spiderman. They could just do little things, like having one of the X-Men reading the Daily Bugle, or having Senator Kinsey on the front page.

Because of the method of his transformation in the film, doesn't Spiderman count as a mutant?

JMK
Jul 11th, 2004, 06:37:26 AM
Doesn't a mutant have to be born with their abilities?

Kyle Raiden
Jul 11th, 2004, 08:11:25 AM
Nope. Well, sorta. They have the mutant gene in their DNA, but it doesn't manifest until puberty. However, from what Magneto was saying, his device would have turned the visiting dignitaries into Mutants, even though they weren't born with the gene. So technically, they don't have to be. They just need to have had one of their genes mutate.

Ryan Pode
Jul 11th, 2004, 10:26:51 AM
In the 70's, crossovers were huge. I remember many, some were good, some were cheesy. Like the Hulk and Thor. That was cheesy.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 11th, 2004, 12:01:07 PM
Spiderman, the Hulk, the FF, even Captain America are considered mutants in a sense but they weren't born with their abilities they got them through some other means. So they just weren't born mutants.

ReaperFett
Jul 11th, 2004, 02:50:39 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Pode
In the 70's, crossovers were huge. I remember many, some were good, some were cheesy. Like the Hulk and Thor. That was cheesy.

And don't forget Daredevil and Hulk, which featured Gimli as Kingpin :D

Ryan Pode
Jul 11th, 2004, 04:06:41 PM
Can't say I saw it. All I remember of the Hulk and Thor one is Thor saying "Turn back in the green man!"

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 11th, 2004, 08:38:32 PM
That was the Trial of the Incredible Hulk, the one with Daredevil, can't recal the name with Thor, they were very cheesy, I remember that.

Ryan Pode
Jul 11th, 2004, 09:43:27 PM
I remember the old Spidey movies where the screen would flash red when the spidey sense occured. I miss that. :(